aberdeen-music

goNORTH 2004

Guest Startex

Guest Startex

As spotted on a site in Holland...

Op 9 en 10 juni vindt in het Schotse Aberdeen het goNORTH showcasefestival plaats. De organisatie zoekt ook nog naar Nederlandse kandidaten. De uitverkoren bands komen te spelen voor een publiek bestaande uit professionals uit de muziekindustrie alsmede gewone concertgangers. 'Cutting edge bands' die graag willen 'spelen voor een contract' dienen twee demo CD's plus bio en foto opsturen naar: Dave Stewart, GoNORTH 2004, The Music Room, Aberdeen Foyer, Marywell Street, Aberdeen, Schotland, AB11 6JF.

Which in English reads something like...

goNORTH 2004 will be on 9th & 10th June. Although it's a much smaller event for this year, in order to give the funders a breather, we hope that more Aberdeen bands than ever will get their fingers out and get involved. You SHOULD BE PLAYING! so... get those demo packs in NOW!!. Send your demo cd with 3 or 4 tracks, a photo and a biog, along with those all important contact details to:

goNORTH

Aberdeen Foyer

Marywell Street

Aberdeen AB11 6JF

Not sure when the deadline is going to be yet but it's going to be pretty soon so don't hang around. Almost all the demo's that have arrived so far have been from other countries! Don't let the world embarrass Aberdeen!!

Any questions PM or email me, cheers.

:band:

Guest Startex

Any demos are better than none, but it's not just me that listens to them so please don't send in something that sounds really terrible!! :D

Not yet sure what bigger bands will be playing, if any. As soon as I hear anything I'll post it up here.

...If your demos sound awfull, why not book some time in the foyer recording studio, very cheap, excellent staff, only 5 mins from this message...

pah pahh pah pah pah pah pah pahh pah pahhhhhh pah pah pah pahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pah ! (peal and dean).

Go North is highly recommeded from us lot

If you get the chance, its worth playing it

Its nearly a year since we played and its been all pozitive since then

Its not the corporate wank-fest some people claim it to be at all.....youll get to meet some excellent people and fab stuff for your pop group will happen if you want it to

over and oot

Stephen your mellowing with old age ha ha, your saying nice things

get your demos in, tis a worthwhile event to play

hope that spanish dude from db records comes back again, first A&R man i've ever seen actually do his job (i.e actually go and see bands instead of scoffing free beer)

Guest Startex

First off I don't speak Dutch so was only guessing what it said. Second, it don't matter what I know of the band or have heard already etc. as I'm only a part of the team. Only demo packs that come in addressed to goNORTH will go into the box for goNORTH.

Guest Startex

Fk's sake. No the deadline has not passed. I can only apologise yet a fuckin-gain for the damn webshite. It's done by people who are about as far removed from what's going on as they possibly could be. Nothing to do with me, honest! PLEASE keep those demos coming in. I'm praying we can get a pile of decent local bands playing instead of it being all bands from other parts of the world.

It's worth mentioning that the bands we will put on are the bands who are happening, I I don't mean locally. We are saying to the industry "These are bands you should be looking at as they are already making waves". Here's hoping there are at least a few bands in the north-east who fit that bill.

Guest Startex

I believe that any A&R person who sits in an office listening to demos is not going to last long. A&R is all about getting out on the streets and picking up on the 'buzz' that bands are creating. Watching them working away in small venues around the nation and going through local rags from smalltowns'ville to track which bands are making the difference at street level. David Bates himself deserves more respect than almost all the industry, he worked his way up through the ranks and has always beleived in the bands he has signed, from Def Leppard when he was 19, through Tears For Fears, Texas and Scott Walker to the current crop of acts. He believes in true "A&R" rather than the stereotypical wanna be who bring the industry into disrepute these days.

OK, rant over, back to work.