aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

Hangover cures

Righto, I'm at work and I feel utterly rubbish (I'm not expecting pity here) and really tired.

I have access to limited amounts of beverages you'd expect to find in an office and I'm already downing water.

Suggestions?

Go to the toilet, fill the sink with cold water (leave the tap running as it must be really cold), and either put your face into it quickly or splash your face with a handful. Don't leave your face in as you'll get used to the water temperature. The short sharp shock will get your adrenaline going, though you might have to do this several times during the day.

I understand make-up may be an issue with girls here. But lets face it, if you feel rubbish chances are you look rubbish so the no make-up look isn't gonna make you any worse :p

Try making a cup of hot water with some sugar stirred in - but crucially, don't drink it once it cools down a bit as it'll taste horrible. It does the trick as it's easier to hold down water than it is to hold down irn bru/etc.

Eat as much as you can even if you can't really face it. Preferably starchy kind of stuff, and get as much fresh air as you can. Go for a bit of a walk at lunchtime. Try and get some Vitamin C somehow. Preferably a bloody mary. I presume they do those at your work?

More alcohol usually helps...

The good ol' hair of the dog method. I've never brought myself to do it, it just seems so wrong, and I always feel like there would be no way my stomach could handle it.

usually i find that drinking nothing but water until your utterly starving is the best option

then have some truely wonderful food

- like a bacon and cheese toastie or something

mmmm...

then you're sorted

Sprite 3G is the perfect cure for tierdness

i have a 4 pack in my desk drawer

:]

Guest bluesxman

Absolutely nothing will truly get rid of it, you will just have to ride it out unfortunately. Different people have different placebos which they think makes them better. Water will help by way of rehydrating you I guess. Irn Bru is a good placebo which I personally like to quench my hangover thirst, pint glass with mucho ice, but at the end of the day contains caffeine which makes you pee and so lose more fluids. Hair of the dog is good from the point of view that you just get pissed again and so delay the hangover until the next day, but I'm assuming your place of employment has a drug and alcohol policy that will prevent that method anyway.:up:

My hangovers nowadays increase in severity about 4 - 5pm so making me think I have escaped feeling bad and then, wham! C**ting hangovers.:swearing:

Doing fuck all usually helps me.(no help at all)

Hair off the dog does work because it does stop your body breaking down the part of alcoholl that makes you feel shit. But it doesnt help in the long term if you decide to get drunk as it will just bite your ass the next day.

I've got some vitamin C tablets at home as well as nice big carton of Tropicana. I shall consuming these when I get home.

I usually don't get hangovers (but I usually don't get totally wrecked and decide that vodka and cider makes a good mix) but when I do I just feel really unclean all day and completely loose my appetite. I like the idea of a bacon and cheese toastie though *is inspired to nip past the co-op on the way home*.

I've already showered, washed my face 4 times and washed my hands about 6 times. I'm guessing this is due to the booze being sweated out the system as well as escaping through pee. I feel manky :(

Here is the top tips, from 20 years experience. BTW water rates 1/10 on my scale:

1) Brandy and port mixed in the same glass, that's 25ml brandy, and 50ml port. This sorts everything! 10/10

2) Boots Kaolin and Morphine medicine available OTC. Take a swig out the bottle everytime you feel ropey. The pharmacist will quiz you as to why you require this potent combo, tell them you have a dose of the shits. 9/10

3) A Big Mac meal with a large black coffee. IMO this is maginally superior to a cooked breakfast, which is also worth trying. Start with a sip of the coffee then eat a chip. It's easy from there on. 7/10

4) A sausage roll and half pint of milk from Kelly of Cults on Chapel Street. 6/10

5) Irn Bru original full suger. Sip it slowly and hold the cold can to the side of the head. This will temp remove symptoms. 5/10

6) Andrews / Japps salts. You might puke once immediately after ingesting though. 4/10

7) When all else fails alkaseltzer which is basically salts plus aspirin. 3/10

000) SADLY NO LONGER AVAILABLE - Apple Hooch. Works well as hair of the dog. 8/10

Best avoided:

1) Ribena. This is liable to make you spew your ringer every time. -10/10

2) Peptabysmal. This works as well as it tastes. -8/10

3) Cranberry juice. The last thing you need is a strong diarretic which does not contain any caffiene. -7/10

4) Special Brew. Don't do it. Trust me. Just don't do it. -5/10

5) Wanking. Makes you more dehydrated but helps pass the time until the hangover goes I guess. Better to get up and go for a walk instead. Also please don't try this one at work. -1/10

water, tea, irn bru all work for me. usually for a really crippling one I'll take some painkillers with some water. Make a cup of tea and try and eat something. chocolate is good for a quick energy boost. A fry up or something stodgy is good for overall improvement.

The absolute best hangover cure I know is sleep.

Here is the top tips' date=' from 20 years experience. BTW water rates 1/10 on my scale:

1) Brandy and port mixed in the same glass, that's 25ml brandy, and 50ml port. This sorts everything! 10/10

2) Boots Kaolin and Morphine medicine available OTC. Take a swig out the bottle everytime you feel ropey. The pharmacist will quiz you as to why you require this potent combo, tell them you have a dose of the shits. 9/10

3) A Big Mac meal with a large black coffee. IMO this is maginally superior to a cooked breakfast, which is also worth trying. Start with a sip of the coffee then eat a chip. It's easy from there on. 7/10

4) A sausage roll and half pint of milk from Kelly of Cults on Chapel Street. 6/10

5) Irn Bru original full suger. Sip it slowly and hold the cold can to the side of the head. This will temp remove symptoms. 5/10

6) Andrews / Japps salts. You might puke once immediately after ingesting though. 4/10

7) When all else fails alkaseltzer which is basically salts plus aspirin. 3/10

000) SADLY NO LONGER AVAILABLE - Apple Hooch. Works well as hair of the dog. 8/10

Best avoided:

1) Ribena. This is liable to make you spew your ringer every time. -10/10

2) Peptabysmal. This works as well as it tastes. -8/10

3) Cranberry juice. The last thing you need is a strong diarretic which does not contain any caffiene. -7/10

4) Special Brew. Don't do it. Trust me. Just don't do it. -5/10

5) Wanking. Makes you more dehydrated but helps pass the time until the hangover goes I guess. Better to get up and go for a walk instead. Also please don't try this one at work. -1/10[/quote']

Absolutely brilliant, a definitive list of hangover cures if ever i did see one!

:up: