aberdeen-music

Should I -

britheguy

I have two AC30's both over 40 years old. They sound great, but are the scruffiest things you will ever see. One is tan has no handles left and the badge has gone walk about. The grill is ok, but the cover is scuffed and torn. The other is a black one it has two handles...wow! but is still scuffed and torn. My question is

Should I get them refinished to get them looking good again? I will only be keeping one of them so is it worh spending the money to get them done up?

I'm interested in what other guitar/amp users think about this.

If you got the chance of an amp like this, would you pay a lot more for a refinished tidy one than you would for scruffy one?

cheers.

Personally it would depend on the price, i think most people would like a better looking amp! But if it would be cheaper to buy a poor conditioned one (as long as the internals are good) and get it re-covered i would go that way personally.

If you are thinking of getting them redone I'd give Jeff at Matamp a call and see if he could do it for you as their products (I'm sure you already know) are top notch and he would do a really good job!

are you thinking of selling one to get a Matamp? :guns:

Hrm, I'd rather have one that's in as original condition as possible. Replace any bits that are missing or totally fucked, but try and keep it true to its original state.

Have you got any pictures of them? It'd be easier to assess that way.

Personally, I'd buy an AC30 no matter what the condition.

Personally it would depend on the price' date=' i think most people would like a better looking amp! But if it would be cheaper to buy a poor conditioned one (as long as the internals are good) and get it re-covered i would go that way personally.

If you are thinking of getting them redone I'd give Jeff at Matamp a call and see if he could do it for you as their products (I'm sure you already know) are top notch and he would do a really good job!

are you thinking of selling one to get a Matamp? :guns:[/quote']

One got it in one;)

Hrm' date=' I'd rather have one that's in as original condition as possible. Replace any bits that are missing or totally fucked, but try and keep it true to its original state.

Have you got any pictures of them? It'd be easier to assess that way.

Personally, I'd buy an AC30 no matter what the condition.[/quote']

In truth I would be quite happy to leave the one I'm keeping in it's current state. But, it's the one I'm selling that I'm wondering about.

I've not got pix. I've tried to show pix before on this forum and can't suss it out;(

Amp

Go with your heart - there's nothing that can't be replaced - except people and time.

What's the Hampden with these MATAMP thingys anyhoo ???

I'm reading a lot about them on this site these days.

What makes them special ? - is it just a wanky name-of-the-month thing or do they sound better than anything else out there (which, I concede, is purely subjective) ???

I've fancied a Matamp 1224 head for years. I've tried loads of other stuff, as do most people, but always seem to be left wanting. At present I love the Vox hence why I will keep one of them.

The Matamp is along the same lines (1 channel) but is a bit more flexible sue to it having a foot switch to 'switch' in different gain stages. IE between it's high and low input stage and a gain boost. It's very clever and I'm not going to kid you on by making you think I know how it works...it just does;)

The sound is very nice indeed, and it is very receptive to picking force etc. It's not like a Marshall or a Boogie. It's not a high gain amp.

it does what it does very nicely. Plus the pre/after sales service is second to none.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Matamp/1224+Head/10/1

http://www.matamp.co.uk/

I've fancied a Matamp 1224 head for years. I've tried loads of other stuff' date=' as do most people, but always seem to be left wanting. At present I love the Vox hence why I will keep one of them.

The Matamp is along the same lines (1 channel) but is a bit more flexible sue to it having a foot switch to 'switch' in different gain stages. IE between it's high and low input stage and a gain boost. It's very clever and I'm not going to kid you on by making you think I know how it works...it just does;)

The sound is very nice indeed, and it is very receptive to picking force etc. It's not like a Marshall or a Boogie. It's not a high gain amp.

it does what it does very nicely. Plus the pre/after sales service is second to none.

[url']http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Matamp/1224+Head/10/1

http://www.matamp.co.uk/

Love the 50's sci-fi movie look !!!

Do they put your name on as well !!!

What I'm looking for is an amp with a lot of sustain and a deep "saggy" wavering tone - think Robin Trower or early Ronnie Montrose.

Something that's loud without being noisy - if you get my drift :up:

Matamp has been at the forefront of British amp design since the 40's, the first Oranges built were actaully Matamps but sold by Cliff Cooper (i think) in a shop in London called Orange, hense the name. But after a few years the union broke and he started just making Orange amps!

Matamp have a number of different amp that can cover any application. Matamp also build everything in one small workshop in Maltham, Huddersfield. I took a trip to the factory this month and its well worth a visit even if your not buying one!

Ive just ordered a 1224 and 2x12, they have customised the amp to the exact way i wanted it, that included power (upped to 50watt, matmap rate their amps VERY conservidaly and at clean power, so overdrive is higher) they also compleatly style your amp/cab how you want it, any design on the faceplate, also the vinyl etc.

Also alot of the other companies contract Matamp to build there equipment for their more famous users, such companies as Ashdown, Orange, Hiwatt etc.

Take a look around the website and the forum and you will understand what an outstanding company and service the offer!!!

forgot to add, the thing with the 1224 is the versatility that the amp actually has, the main feature that this amp offers id the valve switching, you can run the amp in different ways

1 valve, class A

2 valves, class A

2 valves, class AB

4 valves, class AB

It also has Triode/Pentode and Hard/Soft power switching which gives 4 power levels, making a total of 16 possible combinations.

but most Matamp amplifiers are completely unique to their owner and there are many different versions of the amps!

mmm think i should be on the pay roll for Matamp :up:

forgot to add' date=' the thing with the 1224 is the versatility that the amp actually has, the main feature that this amp offers id the valve switching, you can run the amp in different ways

1 valve, class A

2 valves, class A

2 valves, class AB

4 valves, class AB

It also has Triode/Pentode and Hard/Soft power switching which gives 4 power levels, making a total of 16 possible combinations.

but most Matamp amplifiers are completely unique to their owner and there are many different versions of the amps!

mmm think i should be on the pay roll for Matamp :up:[/quote']

Whose been doing his homework then?;)

I think you have made a wise choice.

Whose been doing his homework then?;)

I think you have made a wise choice.

haha yea ive been floating arounf the Matamp forum for about a year now reading into all the amps etc' date=' also Peter Green biographer Martin Celmins wote a book all about the history of the company, which is an interesting read and isnt all about Matamp, info on all the main companies, Orange, Vox, Marshal etc etc.

available on ebay

[url']http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MATAMP-at-60-book-by-Martin-Celmins_W0QQitemZ7414784026QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10171QQcmdZViewItem

If you are planning on selling one of your vox's, dont change a thing!!!

Refinishing a 40 year old amp will result in less £££ for you. The more stock and original an amp is the better, even if it looks dog rough.

If you are planning on selling one of your vox's' date=' dont change a thing!!!

Refinishing a 40 year old amp will result in less for you. The more stock and original an amp is the better, even if it looks dog rough.[/quote']

I totally agree with that, what i ment to say earlier is "that if people wanted it looking brand spanking new they will likely preffer to get it done themselfs by someone they know or trust, i would anyway" but reading back i actually typed a load of rubbish. I do do that alot duh o_O

I totally agree with that' date=' what i ment to say earlier is "that if people wanted it looking brand spanking new they will likely preffer to get it done themselfs by someone they know or trust, i would anyway" but reading back i actually typed a load of rubbish. I do do that alot duh o_O[/quote']

Yeah sure, if you were to get it refinished, then matamp is the place to send it, but, leave that to the person buying the old vox to decide for themselves.

I'm asuming the point of view of a vintage vox/amp fanatic.

I suppose most people would be like me and buy it for the sound and not the looks.

Some folks like their vintage amps to look rough' date=' this silly thing called "mojo" hah.

It's looking likely that I will be buying this 1967 Vox Supreme...

[img']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/files/5/2/2/7/supr_20fnt_20top_20small.jpg

supre_20rear.jpg

All original, but in scruffy condition looks wise. 8)