aberdeen-music

18/07/06 Tears of grace, Ascension and Novacaine at kef!!

Tears of grace are headlining a smashing gig this friday at kef! with support from Aberdeen Power metallers Ascension! and newcomers novacaine! ( at least i think they are newcomers lol! )

heres the details:

18/07/06 @ Kef (Belmonst street)

Tears of grace

Ascension

Novacaine

+support

7pm

4 adv. 5 at the door

hope to see ya'll there!

what a cracker that was....

To every single person in the mosh for our set - you guys OWN. That was some crazy shit so thankyou so much for devastating yourselfs to our music!! Much respect... and I shall be down there joining you at the Tunnels gig if there's space for me to make it off stage lmao!!

Nice one to Nova, was a shame all the guys booed but i guess you weren't their thing!

And big up to Tears for putting us on and hosting, champions! Well looking forward to Tunnels on the 29th that will be a beast!

yeh we must apologise as even though we cut 2 songs we ran to 35 minutes instead of 30... when will Kef learn that 30minues aint enough for a band to play! what was the deal in having every1 out at 10?

The blown speaker during the soundchecks wasn't great - we offered to go without a soundcheck to get things moving which as it turned out meant our sound was really lacking ... so I guess that gets us off with the 5 minutes over? :)

kef's curfew is usually 10.30, so no idea about the 10 thing, it was really annoying...

BUT, i'd just like to say that a 30 minute set is standard for support bands at any gig... and all other bands manage... so quit complaining

it may be standard, but its still not enough.

i couldnt believe the lacking of sound at kef last night for our set, ok so we did offer to go without a soundcheck because things were REALLY behind, but still, the sound engineer didnt turn our drums on till about the end of the first song, and still no one could hear them. didnt turn our guitarist gregor up ( maybe because of blown speaker? ) so no one could hear him either....and my vocals werent very loud either...pah, still had an amazing time, and i think everyone else did to!

Guest Gregor Ascension
kef's curfew is usually 10.30' date=' so no idea about the 10 thing, it was really annoying...

BUT, i'd just like to say that a 30 minute set is standard for support bands at any gig... and all other bands manage... so quit complaining[/quote']

mabye so, but tog took a long soundcheck and novacaine went on quite late.. so dont blame us for tog having to cut their set. we didnt even get to soundcheck as things were running so late.

30 mins is standard across the board. It's that simple. If it's not enough then arrange your own gigs and set your own stage times.

Bands that over-run their set times don't deserve to get gigs. It's selfish and just takes stage time away from everyone on after you.

I used to get really pissed off at being told we'd ran out of time 1 or 2 songs before the end of our set just because the band before us had decided they wanted to play 10 mins more than they'd been allocated.

30 mins is standard across the board. It's that simple. If it's not enough then arrange your own gigs and set your own stage times.

Bands that over-run their set times don't deserve to get gigs. It's selfish and just takes stage time away from everyone on after you.

I used to get really pissed off at being told we'd ran out of time 1 or 2 songs before the end of our set just because the band before us had decided they wanted to play 10 mins more than they'd been allocated.

Well it seems we really need to get the full story out since everyone is claiming we are the "bad guys" or whatever....

Firstly, we were TOLD to be in Kef at 5pm on the dot for soundcheck - I had to leave work early AND drive through the rush hour with roadworks to make it... not only that we get there and find soundchecks nowhere near ready to start... Then the speaker was blown (this is noones fault) but did significantly cut soundcheck time...

Then Tears of Grace had a soundcheck which was (no offence) very long... because of this we offered to go without a soundcheck as it was 7:00pm and doors were open...

Novacaine then took their soundcheck and went on stage 10 minutes late from what I was told their start time was.... No problem as they finished not too bad...

We then went onstage and weren't even Line checked... we played our first song with the drums not coming out the PA for some reason... nothing in our monitors and Gregor's guitar WAY too quiet... We played 3 songs then were told we had one more so played it... only to be told after that we ran for 35minutes... well our last song is not even 6 minutes so that must have meant that at 29 minutes we were told we could play another song...

All other gigs we have played up til now we have had a full set, even in support band role... and Kef usually closes at 10:30 for becoming a nightclub at 11pm so I do not understand the early close.

I don't mean to offend people and rant but I am simply telling what happened for all these people quick to jump the gun and attack us for running 5 minutes over...

All other gigs we have played up til now we have had a full set, even in support band role

Thats not an excuse though, is it?

Fact of the matter is you were put down as a supprt as it wasn't an all-day gig or whatever where there's been a certain equality about set times and stuff. If you weren't put down as this I apologise.

Whats also as important is that you still were able to actually get on the stage and show off your stuff, be it dodgy linecheck or what. Everyone should be thankful of getting a gig, especially since nobody likes a bastard or nobody likes excessive use of passing the buck when it comes to what went right or wrong.

asscension played for just over 40 minutes...

Thats seems odd since we only played these songs:

1) Against The Flame

2) Hannibal

3) Durin's Bane

4) Fortress

and Durin's Bane was cut down by 3 minutes by losing the clean section...

So unless those 4 songs are 10 minute monsters then you must be counting set up time aswell? IIRC we started at 8:30 as instructed... so even if we played 40mins that makes us off at 9:10 - so how was it possible that ToG had only a 20 minute set like reject said?

...nobody likes a bastard or nobody likes excessive use of passing the buck when it comes to what went right or wrong.

I would say that's a bit harsh? Didn't you read my post before?? How many bands do you know would offer to pass a soundcheck for the sake of keeping things running smoothl? Not many...

Anyway let this be the last word... regardless of anything else the only thing that matters are the people who were there and once again everyone of you totally ruled... there was some seriously awesome effort put in by the crowd and everyone in Ascension appreciates that first and foremost...

Well it seems we really need to get the full story out since everyone is claiming we are the "bad guys" or whatever....

I don't think anyone was calling you the "bad guys", so don't over-react. You guys said that 30 mins was far too short a set time, people (myself included) have simply pointed out that unless you're told otherwise you should expect a strict 30 minute slot.