aberdeen-music

strap lock and strap advice.

Guest lime ruined my life

Hi!

i have a set of unbranded straplocks that are fine, but before i go out and buy a second set for a different guitar i thought i'd see if i can get some feedback on branded straplocks.

I'm also looking for a wide padded strong strap to go with them, any brands/companies people highly recomend that i should look into?

the unbranded ones are ok, but they gradually worm the screw out of the wood, i think its just something that goes with the territory with those ones you have to change the strap button with. It's apparently ok if you glue the screw in, but gluing isnt something i want to get into with this guitar.

tell me more about these plasticy ones? i've seen them about.

iv been looking at the planet wavez straps that are integrated into a strap but they look like rubbish straps, and pretty brittle. The dunlop straplok look slightly better than my unbranded ones. any more experiences?

the cheapy plastic ones always served me well when I was gigging. not one guitar dropped. alternatively drink a couple of bottles of grolsch and take the rubber bits from the hinged bottle top.

argh! i think i might go down the grolsch method.

alternatively drink a couple of bottles of grolsch and take the rubber bits from the hinged bottle top.

:up: Works well, but I think the new grolsch bottles have a plastic rather than rubber seal so I'm not too sure if they'll work as well, but a cheap option. What other company throws in two beers with their strap lock?8)

i have dunlop strap locks on one bass and schaller ones on the other three, with levys straps on all of them. my basses get thrown about quite a bit and i've spent good money on them so i'm not wanting them destroyed. rubber seals pop off all the time if the part of the strap which the straplock goes through is quite thick, as levys are and i split quite a number of those plastic things back in the day before i got serious and fitted locks. nowadays i always put schallers on a bass as soon as i get it. they're not that expensive and they're absolutely solid. obviously, as has been said, you have to replace the strap buttons but with most of these things, u can still happily use a strap without the locks on it, if you ever left it at home. dunlop ones are ok but i'd go with schallers.

one more piece of advice, on all of my fenders, the hole which is drilled to fit the strap button by the bridge is slightyly larger than the one at the neck end. be careful.

spoons

/x

i have dunlop strap locks on one bass and schaller ones on the other three' date=' with levys straps on all of them. my basses get thrown about quite a bit and i've spent good money on them so i'm not wanting them destroyed. rubber seals pop off all the time if the part of the strap which the straplock goes through is quite thick, as levys are and i split quite a number of those plastic things back in the day before i got serious and fitted locks. nowadays i always put schallers on a bass as soon as i get it. they're not that expensive and they're absolutely solid. obviously, as has been said, you have to replace the strap buttons but with most of these things, u can still happily use a strap without the locks on it, if you ever left it at home. dunlop ones are ok but i'd go with schallers.

one more piece of advice, on all of my fenders, the hole which is drilled to fit the strap button by the bridge is slightyly larger than the one at the neck end. be careful.

spoons

/x[/quote']

i'll see what strap i end up getting first and try it out with rubber gromits or the grolsch ones if i can find them, i don't want to even risk having to start putting wood filler in the screw hole because of the mechanical locking straplocks, i hapily use them on my cheaper guitars though. Thanks for the advice.

Guest DustyDeviada

I fit schallers to all my expensive guitars, but I do also use the Grolsch method on some of my cheaper ones.

I saw Mark Knopflerin Dublin in June and he was using Grolsch tops on some of his vintage guitars, so they must be fairly reliable!

Here's a pic I took.

P1010091.jpg

• 10 months later...