aberdeen-music

TV is shit

Hog

Some decent new stuff just now. The Shield on Channel 5 is probably one of the best series I have ever watched' date=' just brilliant.

Deadwood's good as well, and on BBC Annually Retentive and Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe are pretty funny. Time Trumpet looks good as well, although I missed it last week.[/quote']

nope never seen none of that stuff.... except trailers for deadwood... which i thought looked fairly crap.... but then i thought "dead like me" trailers were pretty crap too, missed the entire first season... then a mate convinced me to watch a couple and i subsequently got hooked...and dead like me subsequently got, effectively, cancelled...

as for Annually Retentive and Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe, i'd give them a shot on your recomendation.... when are they on?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman
You must have missed the huge marketing campaign that has been going on for the last month all over the telly and the papers.

fullZZZZZZPRW060731104714PIC.jpg

Yup I did, as I said I rarely watch TV and when I do I tend to flick between channels rather than sit through adverts....

I never understood why people buy into Sky. If nobody gave them money, we'd be able to watch all the same programs and sports events on terrestial TV. It's like they're holding them to ransom.

I generally agree that tv is shite. There isn't really anything good on apart from the current Studio Ghibli series of films on Film4, and i don't have freeview in my room :(

If i want some background chitterchatter i do admit to shoving on Big Brother but that does tend to remind me as to exactly how apathetic i am to certain elements of the human race.

I kinda wish i hadn't downloaded the current series of Lost ages ago but inevitably i would've missed a couple of episodes and given up on it.

I generally find myself buying dvd boxsets of tv shows i loved. I recently got 24 series 1 and Seinfeld Series 1&2 so thats my viewing sorted for a wee while at least.

Guest DustyDeviada
as for Annually Retentive and Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe' date=' i'd give them a shot on your recomendation.... when are they on?[/quote']

Screen Wipe is on tonight at 10.30, but it's up to episode 4, if you wait till Friday night/Saturday morning they are showing eps 1-4 (BBC 4).

Annually Retentive is repeated loads on BBC 3, next time is 3.20 am tonight!

But seriously, The Shield is amazing, but you really need to watch it from Season 1. Go and buy the DVDs.

Yup I did' date=' as I said I rarely watch TV and when I do I tend to flick between channels rather than sit through adverts....[/quote']

ah well... on sky the adverts are sychronised...so pretty much where ever you flik....theres's fucking adverts.... hey... what's the matter with you?! why don't you consolidate all your crappy little loans into one big muthafucker laon! yep here at muthas we pride aour selves in....etc..etc...

Screen Wipe is on tonight at 10.30' date=' but it's up to episode 4, if you wait till Friday night/Saturday morning they are showing eps 1-4 (BBC 4).

Annually Retentive is repeated loads on BBC 3, next time is 3.20 am tonight!

But seriously, The Shield is amazing, but you really need to watch it from Season 1. Go and buy the DVDs.[/quote']

cheers dude...

screen wipe is obviously a series.... i thought it was a skit show...shows how much fuckall i know... as for retetive...a vcr recording session is in order...

on reflection i liked rome as well...that was a good yarn...

Guest DustyDeviada

Screen Wipe is a sort of comedy show, it involves a funny guy called Charlie Brooker taking a wry look at what's on the telly.

Sample line:

"Say what you like about Gordon Ramsey, but he's not afraid to call a spade a fucking cunt."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/features/screen-wipe.shtml

And :up: to whoever mentioned Saxondale, that was ace too.

the series on BBC 2 about light entertainment is the best thing on the telly at the moment though since its on sat nights and most people here have a life i guess not people are watching it. also i'm a bit addicted to emmerdale at the moment. but yeah TV is mainly shite, always has been mind but these days we have forums to vent our anger!!! you get so much more done listening to the radio or a CD anyway.

Guest DustyDeviada
What if I watched tv on my computer? Does this mean I have to pay for a tv licence that I dont use?

What about just using my computer to watch dvds only?

You wouldn't need a license to watch DVDs on your computer.

I think you would however need a license to watch telly on your computer using one of those freeview USB things, although I guess they would be easier to conceal if the detector van came knocking on your door.

Thats not true...if you own a VCR and no telly I'm sure you still have to pay a license becaues the video is capable of receiving a signal!!! Madness!

But hey' date=' surely if EVERYONE refused to pay their license next month they couldn't catch us all....[/quote']

True, if you own anything or buy anything with a tuner (telivisual of course) you are obliged by law to pay the license fee. The way round that is to buy a monitor with av inputs.

We, as in Bruce Miller's, are required by law to provide details to the licensing service for anyone that we sell a vcr or tv to. Thats generally part of the reason why sales people ask for your details in tv stores, along with for warranty purposes.

Guest Neubeatz

TV licencing authorities r shit

I never watched the box, I had a foxed box, it would run for 3-5 mins and cut out, (dry joint) so no need for a licence,

Guy comes to door with side kick, ID and clipboard, "we have no record of licence 4 this address",

Me; thats ok, erm it's foxed so I dont need one.

Guy at door; "Can we see?"

Me; Aye nae probs,

Guy: "can you switch it on?"

Me; Aye I'll show you, it'll cut out after a couple of mins,(switch on)

Guy: Writes in clipboard, "thats all we need to see, thanks", (takes sidekick and leaves)

Me, OK, bye then (smiles)

6 weeks later, summons from Stoney sherrif court, contravening the wireless+telegrapy act,

No mfing way!!!

Check with solicitor, na no excuse that the telly is fucked, If it has a mains plug, and it switches on, even for seconds you need a licence, he says keep scissors near telly in future.

Me, 50 fine for a telly that dont work

Tv licence Guy; Entrapment is my game sucker!!!

What did I learn? Most post peeps are self centered cunts that dont give a fuck about anyone else except themselves.(but conning bastards pretend they arent)

So you dont need to let anyone in your house without a warrant, And you do need a licence if you have a tv card in a pc.

I only watch Live Football, and Dexters Laboratory. So I need Sky, and prefer paying them than the Governmant for the rubbish BBC channels. Could easily live without it, Id just have to go to actual live games instead and substitute Dexters Lab with more band rehearsals which are very similar to said cartoon. Dexters sister having an identical personality to one of our band.

All other programs are shit I agree. Its fake. Actors are not real people. The news is all made up, and Holby City isnt a real place. I checked on a map.

If Ren and Stimpy came back on Id probably watch that.

An excellent example of why you shouldn't take legal advice from an online forum. ;)

:up: I've always thought that was the way. But then if someone is just watching dvds and no TV, then using a computer is the best option.

Legal advice of the day: If you murder someone, it's fine. As long as you hide the murder weapon. Sorted.

Guest DustyDeviada
:up: I've always thought that was the way. But then if someone is just watching dvds and no TV' date=' then using a computer is the best option.

[/quote']

You can probably get plasmas or LCDs nowadays that don't have a tuner and therefore wouldn't need a license for watching DVDs.

BTW I watched Time Trumpet last night and it was ace, funniest thing I've see in ages.