aberdeen-music

Contemplating selling my Les Paul...

HateEvent

I've been having thoughts about selling my Gibson Les Paul (Standard Limited Edition).

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

13a085b2.jpg

6b609423.jpg

I've had it for about a year now. I've played it about 15 times.

It's a lovely guitar (visually AND to play). It feels better than other Gibsons I've played and looks better in my opinion!

The reason I've been thinking this is because I really want an ESP Hanneman - this one to be exact (2006 Urban Camo Custom Shop)

jeff_hanneman_urbancamo_kh.jpg

I would like people to hold back on telling me to hold onto the Gibson simply because they don't like the look of the Hanneman - I do!

I don't play the Gibby much despite really liking it - I always play my ESP KH-2 Neck Thru: it is better IMO and also suits me better and has the sound I want.

The only thing I've done to the Gibson is change the pickups to EMG (85b/81n).

I had a conversation with one of my best friends (fellow guitarist) which went like this:-

"If you had your Les Paul and a Hanneman - what would you play more?"

"Hanneman"

"OK, so if you could only have one of them - which would it be?"

"Hanneman"

"Sell your Les Paul and buy one then."

"?( :rolleyes:"

I dunno what to do!

I'd love to own both, but it'll simply take too long to be able to manage to afford it (I don't get paid enough and don't have enough shifts!).

The fact I'm really in need of another trem guitar doesn't help!

I want at least the quality of the KH ya see, so don't wanna go for a cheaper trem guitar for sake of getting one to stop the requirement so that I can afford to keep the LP.

Thoughts?

James

Guest DustyDeviada

Have you still got the original pickups for the LP? I think the EMGs might put some people off.

But it's a nice unusual colour and has a good amount of flame, so with the recent price increases you could probably get a good price for it. Stick it in Scot Ads and see what happens, if no one wants to buy it then end of dilemma.

I still have the original pickups (BurstBuckers) and pots so it can go stock again if need be.

I think that having thought this dilemma through - I want it to go to a new home.

Superstrats suit me better and I prefer them. Plus I prefer trem guitars and have my Explorer as a fixed bridge guitar...

:S

Guest DustyDeviada

As I say, it is nice, but my advice would be to put the original pups back in, not only is your typical Les Paul buyer going to be more likely to prefer the burstbuckers, but people start to get nervous when they think you've been buggering about and modding it.

50s or 60s neck?

Guest DustyDeviada

It's frustrating cos it listed high and I've been looking at the going rate of them online - waaaaay cheaper. Not good!

Another reason why I would try to sell it locally through Scot Ads first if I was you.

I dunno what you paid for it, but with the Gibson price increases having a knock on effect on second hand values I would say it would be worth, I dunno, 11-1200?

But as ever, you have to find someone willing to pay that first.

Guest five years

so in summary....

you need to stop buying guitars because of WHO plays them...

did you buy the les paul partly because hetfield used/uses them? (as well as your mentioned reasons that it looks ace)

so in summary....

did you buy the les paul partly because hetfield used/uses them? (as well as your mentioned reasons that it looks ace)

I think there is nothing wrong with that. If your fav guitarist uses a LP why not buy one.

It goes for anything really,

football boots

darts

snooker cues

etc,etc.

Guest five years

i'm not saying there's anything especially wrong with it either...

just that this guy seems to have a thing for signature guitars, be they actual signatures like the hanneman one or guitars that have become synonymous with a certain person: black gibson explorer + james hetfield for example, which he says he also has..

why not buy a non-signature esp which (as he admits he's not loaded) will be cheaper, look the same and play the same?

personally i think playing a guitar like the urban camo one (with slayer logos all over it) will make people watching his band play - how d'you say this - think the guitarist is limited in his influences? whereas a matt black esp the same shape looks more diverse...

nevermind.

i've never seen the appeal with a signature edition as a first guitar either. sure, it's a nice thing to own but the point of a sig, to me, is that it's a guitar made to the specification of the person who's signature it bears. hence, why not spend the money (and these thngs are usually expensive because of the name) on getting a guitar that suits YOUR style and your sound and modifying it accordingly if there's not one available that meets your needs. if you want to be recognised and appreciated as having an individual style and not be told that you remind everyone of X guitarist, this is a pretty bad start by playing their guitar!

of course, that's just my opinion and buying an instrument is a very personal thing.

/x

Guest DustyDeviada

Nothing stopping you developing your own style on a signature model though.

Let's face it, the Les Paul itself is a signature guitar, but of course very few people over the years have played them in the same way that Les himself does. Ditto the Grestch Chet Atkins models, countless people have developed their own unique styles on them, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, Brian Setzer, George Harrison etc

i'm not saying there's anything especially wrong with it either...

just that this guy seems to have a thing for signature guitars' date=' be they actual signatures like the hanneman one or guitars that have become synonymous with a certain person: black gibson explorer + james hetfield for example, which he says he also has..

why not buy a non-signature esp which (as he admits he's not loaded) will be cheaper, look the same and play the same?

personally i think playing a guitar like the urban camo one (with slayer logos all over it) will make people watching his band play - how d'you say this - think the guitarist is limited in his influences? whereas a matt black esp the same shape looks more diverse...

nevermind.[/quote']

Fair point I suppose

QUOTE...

Spoonie

i've never seen the appeal with a signature edition as a first guitar either. sure, it's a nice thing to own but the point of a sig, to me, is that it's a guitar made to the specification of the person who's signature it bears. hence, why not spend the money (and these thngs are usually expensive because of the name) on getting a guitar that suits YOUR style and your sound and modifying it accordingly if there's not one available that meets your needs. if you want to be recognised and appreciated as having an individual style and not be told that you remind everyone of X guitarist, this is a pretty bad start by playing their guitar!

of course, that's just my opinion and buying an instrument is a very personal thing.

/x

Again, a very fair point.

However, I think that there is a difference between a guitar the same as used by 'Mr Smith' and a 'Mr Smith signature model' if you know what I mean.

I think that these 'sig' models are a very crafty marketing ploy by the makers.

Here's one for you....if for instance, Gibson take out a signature guitar based on one used by, lets say Steve Craddock, does this mean that their standard guitar is no good?

Guest DustyDeviada
I think that these 'sig' models are a very crafty marketing ploy by the makers.

Here's one for you....if for instance' date=' Gibson take out a signature guitar based on one used by, lets say Steve Craddock, does this mean that their standard guitar is no good?[/quote']

I'm not sure how "crafty" they are. If people didn't buy them then the companies wouldn't make them. And they undoubtedly started as a marketing ploy in the 50s, but as I have said, without them we wouldn't have the Gibson Les Paul or the Grtsch 6120, two of the greatest and most iconic guitars ever made.

As for being better or worse than the company's "standard" guitar, I would say it's more likely that they are just "different". For example I own a Mark Knopfler Strat. It has a nitro finish, texas special pickups, a 1957 body and a 1962 neck. The only way I can get this combination of features is by buying this guitar. Is it "better" than a US Standard Strat? I say yes, others who don't know/care about nitro finishes or texas special pickups would say no and buy the standard strat. Good for them, but it's nice to have the choice.

Interesting thoughts on signature guitars.

My thoughts- Obviously if I went with a signature guitar it would be the ESP Horizon 7 stringer as played by Devin Townsend (no shit sherlock). Would I like a tone like him? Hell yes! Although he uses other stuff for his mellower music i.e. Telecasters, Strats, Gibsons so I cant pin point an exact signature.

I wouldnt want to have a Devy rip off tone anyway so probably wouldnt buy any of the above guitars.

The Hanneman guitar would be ace for James (Angel of Death) because that is the tone he is after which is fine by me, even although Im not much of a Slayer fan.

Phew... a LOT of points that need to be addressed here...

so in summary....

I bought the LP cos I got it at a good price and because it sounded different to the other guitars I had at the time. It had a nice finish too and added diversity to my collection. It was also one of the nicest playing Gibsons I'd ever come across (I'm sure I already covered that in this thread!).

I don't buy guitars because of who plays them! I buy them cos I like them aesthetically' date=' soundwise and qualitywise. Dimebag is my favourite lead player - doesn't mean I'm going to go buy a Dime sig or any other Dean ML. I know what I want. I went for this LP and have since decided that a trem equipped guitar will fulfill my needs more.

just that this guy seems to have a thing for signature guitars, be they actual signatures like the hanneman one or guitars that have become synonymous with a certain person: black gibson explorer + james hetfield for example, which he says he also has..

I bought my Explorer (complete custom order to MY specs for what it's worth) because ever since I started guitar - the Explorer has been my favourite shape. I'll admit, it was Hetfield playing one that made me see it and go "ooooh!" but even if he stopped playing them completely, it doesn't matter. I still like the Explorer shape more than any other shape out there. I got it as my ultimate fixed bridge guitar and I never intend to sell it. Being MY specs makes it like a personal signature guitar for me (how fitting in this thread now!).

I already own a Custom Shop ESP (my KH-2NT) and I've played the non-signature M-II Urban Camo : it has nothing on it. If this was earlier in my guitar playing life then I'd not notice the difference. I can tell now. I can hear and feel the varying quality of the two. The Hanneman is of the same quality as what I currently have. I want nothing less. There is no ESP Urban Camo of that quality that ISN'T the Hanneman.

I have no problem showing my influences - I'm proud to be heavily Slayer influenced. People watching can presume what they wish to: I know who I'm influenced by. It doesn't start and begin with Slayer that's for sure! I do love that guitar though and couldn't care less if people see me as a Slayer fanboy! I am! So What! I can't get a guitar of the specs I want without it being this one (or a custom order with different inlays which will cost plenty more)!

I wouldn't buy a matt black one cos it looks more diverse on the basis that I much prefer the Camo.

First guitar? This will be my 7th guitar.

I want it as it is the ONLY guitar available in that finish which has the quality level I desire (that which matches a guitar which I already possess!). If I was getting another custom right now - it would be Urban Camo finish on an Alder bodied, Maple necked, Ebony fretboarded superstrat which had 24 XJ frets, 2 EMGs, an SPC control and a kahler trem and was made by ESP! Guess what guitar on the market fits that bill! Yep, the Hanneman!

Regarding modification to make a guitar meet my needs - the Hanneman (on paper) is all I want, with the exception of changing the wiring of the pots from master volume and master tone to two seperate volumes. Other than that - if I went for a different guitar - I'd have to get a new paintjob (the Hanneman black is the only other guitar with my desired specs with exception of the finish).

If I had the patience just now to have a custom made (and could justify the extra for the different inlays (it would be of the same quality and attention to detail)) then I would go for it. I simply can't. I like the Slayer eagle anyway! As I mentioned - I have no problem showing that they are an influence!

My playing displays my indivuality! Richard Z from Rammstein played a KH-2 for a couple of years. That's a signature guitar. Doesn't remind everyone solely of Kirk Hammett - it's the dude from Rammstein with a guitar that suits his requirements! That's how I see it! It's practical what I want, not for the image (apart from the finish I gues but that's personal taste!).

[

Here's one for you....if for instance, Gibson take out a signature guitar based on one used by, lets say Steve Craddock, does this mean that their standard guitar is no good?

If I'm reading into this correctly then you are presuming the Hanneman and the M-II standard are of the same quality of construction? If that's the case then no, they aren't. :)

Hopefully that's cleared up my reasoning?! :up: