aberdeen-music

Would anyone like a free piano?

threeornothing

It's funny, there are people who give away pianos for free out of the kindness of their heart and they are really hoping that the piano will be pleasently enjoyed by someone else in the same way they used to enjoy it, as they hated seeing the thing sitting gathering dust. Its a tough decision to make, but they know deep down that if someone else gets the benefit of it, it's a fair trade.

Then some twats go and do this....

http://pianoburning.blogspot.com/

Maybe piano lovers will stop being so charitable after this!

"It was clearly the most rock n' roll thing to do, and would be very memorable if we could pull it off. Years later we may return to Aber and people would come up and say "hey! you're those guys that burnt the piano on the beach back in 06!". Its the stuff of legends."

Good God, that's pathetic.

*moved this to the Wasteland btw*

Taken from the comments section:

" I know one of the imfamous piano burners due to him being my brother.

I kinda suggested the whole piano burning thing, or at least encouraged it at its early stages :)

The piano was basically pretty knackered. It was out of tune and had a broken pedal. Although OK for a singalong or two, due to the cost of moving, repairing, and tuning the thing, its monetary value was nil.

It wasn't even a good piano when new, so you people should stop acting like it's a friggin Beckstein.

They tried to freecycle it to no avail. The options were either to leave it in the house (and get fined by the landlord) or to leave it outside the house (and get prosecuted by the council).

Ultimately, on a student's last day at Aber Uni there are usually only two things to do: Go to the Union, or get beaten up by locals. Most students end up doing both.

Thanks to these intrepid lads there is now a third option on the Aberystwythian social agenda : Piano Burning! I for one think that all those involved deserve nothing but applause. And possibly money."

So forget about it. No more attention for these lads please.

i don't get why everyone has to get on their high horse about every little thing on here. it was a fucked old piano. would you be getting a bricker if someone burnt a fucking squier with a warped neck that wasn't worth the cost and hassle of repairing? i very much doubt it, so they haulled it to the beach and torched it. it's not that big a deal!

/x

i don't get why everyone has to get on their high horse about every little thing on here. it was a fucked old piano. would you be getting a bricker if someone burnt a fucking squier with a warped neck that wasn't worth the cost and hassle of repairing? i very much doubt it' date=' so they haulled it to the beach and torched it. it's not that big a deal!

/x[/quote']

"We are all 3rd year students and will be moving over the next few weeks...."

as dusty said : Bloody Students

to tight to get it tuned and back in working shape?

I think destroying any instrument is a real shame (even the Who, Nirvanna etc, I always think "you spoilt shites")...

Guest DustyDeviada
I think destroying any instrument is a real shame (even the Who' date=' Nirvanna etc, I always think "you spoilt shites")...[/quote']

Yep. When I was a kid all I wanted was a real Fender or Gibson, the thought of someone smashing one up just to be "cool" and "rock and roll" horrifies me.

I went to a piano-smashing competition in Fraserburgh once, 5 guys with sledgehammers and 5 pianos reduced to kindling in a matter of minutes, I was quite sad.

BTW that's the kind of thing that passes for entertainment in Fraserburgh, alongside such delights as the annual Fish Festival, and Brian Topping's DJing in the Broadgate at New Year. That guy hasn't bought a new CD since 1994!