aberdeen-music

Would people buy tickets from aberdeen-music?

Neil

Just looking for people's opinions on this at this stage. Would people buy tickets online for local (i.e. Aberdeen based) gigs and events from this web site?

Here is how it might work...

1. The promoter/organiser of the event posts a batch of tickets to me in advance and states what they would like to sell the tickets for.

2. Tickets are then made available to buy online through the web site. Payments can be made securely via PayPal as usual so all major credit and debit cards are accepted. There would probably be a small booking fee added to cover the PayPal changes (maybe 50p / 1) and some P&P - again not much, maybe 1 or so.

3. Tickets are posted out to whoever buys them. Once the batch of tickets have either sold-out or the event takes place then the money paid for the tickets is paid to the promoter by direct bank transfer. I don't envisage messing with cheques or sending/handing cash out.

So what do you think people? Would it be worth doing a trial run? I guess the more popular local gigs and events would benefit the most from this. But do you think its overkill and unnecessary? If it were to prove successful then I guess there would be nothing stopping us from expanding the idea and selling local band merchandise as well.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

I can't really see people wanting to

a)buy tickets for local shows, when it'd be cheaper to pay on the door (unless the show was going to be an obviously busy one)

b)get tickets mailed to them, when they can just buy them in town, or from band members.

Also, for most gigs where a lot of people are buying tickets beforehand, aren't they already available online?

The idea of selling local band's CDs/records/tapes sounds like a much better idea!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37319

Fourth post down tells you how to avoid P&P costs, or even having any tickets lying about.

The only real drawback is that you'll have to supply the promoters with at least the info on number of tickets sold, if not the actual money, on the day of the gig, normally 5 mins after you think you've finished work for the day, judging by the amount of frantic dashes to 1-UP I see.

I'd back a promoter running to 1-UP over Linford Christie any day.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37319

Fourth post down tells you how to avoid P&P costs' date=' or even having any tickets lying about.

The only real drawback is that you'll have to supply the promoters with at least the info on number of tickets sold, if not the actual money, on the day of the gig, normally 5 mins after you think you've finished work for the day, judging by the amount of frantic dashes to 1-UP I see.

I'd back a promoter running to 1-UP over Linford Christie any day.[/quote']

Interesting. I like the idea of avoiding tickets altogether I have to say.

Okay then, would being able to buy a "virtual ticket" be of benefit to anyone? You go online, buy the ticket and get e-mailed a reference code instead which you then take to the gig to get into? The promoter could easily be e-mailed each time a ticket is sold with the relevant name and reference code of the buyer so they know how many tickets they have sold.

The more I read this feedback and the more I think about it then yes, this would seem to be overkill for local gigs. After all, how many local gigs do people buy tickets for in advance rather than on the door?

Hmm...

Perhaps you should sell tickets for 'proper' gigs round scotland. A service without ridiculous charges would be nice.

Ah, that's a whole different ball game though. But yeah, it would nice and easily done (from a technical point of view). Not sure how easy it would be to persaude the big promoters and venues to start selling their tickets though. A ticketless online system though...hmm....now there might be an idea....

I think it mightwork as an alternative to current online outlets, and to plug the gap on some gigs that have tickets but no online vendor. I don't think the tunnels sell online for their self-promoted gigs for example.

Of course, they'd have to make the advance sale price plus booking fee the same, or preferably cheaper than the door price to make it worth anyones while to buy in advance, except for shows that could/should sell out.

I think you should ask the venues and promoters if they would find it useful.

I've been thinking about adding a "buy tickets here" field to the GCGuide but if memory serves, when I first looked into it, I was told that I wouldn't be able to link directly to the right page, maybe my memory or this info is wrong . Something along those lines in your calendar might be the easiest course of action (and it'll give me the incentive to do it for the Guide as well).

I think it's a good idea..but only for some gigs.

Like for the most part on smaller gigs, it's not going to sell out, so nobody buy tickets, let alone online. It's just not worth the bother.

If you stuck to big gigs, touring bands coming to aberdeen which you know will have a big demand, then yeah, i think it's a great idea. Do less gigs, but they'll all have a good demand.

As for virtual tickets...it seems awful easy to steal a code and get in. I guess it's just as bad as tickets though....

I was thinking along the lines of you have to show ID with it. But then you can't sell your ticket and nobody would want one.

I'm thinking of just implementing a basic ticket reservation system now.

-> Promoter submits event into system with number of tickets that can be reserved by people.

-> Someone reserves a ticket (or tickets). They are e-mailed a specific code (this could be SMS'd to them as well I guess).

-> Just before the gig the promoter goes online and downloads a list of people that have reserved tickets. This information would contain their name, e-mail address and code they have been sent.

-> Person turns up at the gig and shows code to the door. They then purchase their reserved ticket there and then. If the door wants to insist on people showing ID along with their codes then they can enforce it there and then as they will know the person's name and e-mail address as well as their code.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The idea of selling local band's CDs/records/tapes sounds like a much better idea!

Now this has potential. Well, for the few local bands that actually release anything.........

Now this has potential. Well' date=' for the few local bands that actually release anything.........[/quote']

I guess it would depend on what is classed as local band merch. I mean fair enough if an Aberdeen band is releasing singles/albums through a label. But if a band is just burning a few tracks from their PC and putting marker pen over it i wouldn't see the point.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
a merch section could be pretty tasty.

It could indeed. The more I think about this, the more I like it. The idea of SPD slippers could yet come off.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
What about SPD condoms? The tag line potential is endless:

'Put the Spike

ON your Spike'

'Stop using this band to try and get laid'

'SPD condoms - for those four seconds of pleasure'

'SPD not STD'

Legend. Did I ever mention the idea of SPD thongs to you? Was thinking the logo and "I've been spiked" on the front.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Sounds like a plan' date=' just order a bulk of blanks off Ebo and get doon the print shop........[/quote']

Might just do that, no idea of sizes though, but I do have the heftier female in mind.........