aberdeen-music

My guitars screwing up - help!

tomatoblossom

Whenever I plug it into an amp, the volume cuts off. I'll be playing away, strumming the strings and stuff and the volume cuts off, comes back and cuts off again. Its not the amp or the lead. I turn volume dial on my guitar right up and that sometimes fixes it (its normally at full volume anyway), but it still cuts off on me, and its REALLY annoying.

Can anyone help me? ?(

it sounds like the red or white conncection that comes from your tone dials to ur ouput were u put the lead into ur guitar has come loose this casn happen easily this means that everytime u plug in it will move closer to the metal frame and when it does this it plays fine and wen it moves away it ll go quieter or nonme at all

if thats the case solder it back on or take it to a guitar shop its only 1 cable

if its not that it might be ur tone dial thats actually gone

if its a pish guitar' date=' it'll probably have pish wiring and pishier components. throw it down the stairs and claim a new one on the house insurance, tell them the dog knocked it over. or....

if you;ve had it less than a year, try taking it back to the shop from whence it came and getting them to fix it for free, or at least give you a free diagnosis as to the exact problem.

if its not under warranty, have a look in the back and solder any loose bits back on. you can get wiring diagrams online so you know you;re doing it right. if its still fucked, get it looked at by a guitar tech or a mate with experience of fucking about with guitars. new components aren't expensive if you need any.

i'd recommend doin it yourself if you can, its usually a lot cheaper and you'll know what to do next time.[/quote']

Hmm...throwing it down the stairs is so tempting...but I dont think my home insurance will cover it. Insurance companies always manage to get out of stuff like that.

Aah see I didnt get it from a shop, I got it from ebay.

I have a guitarist friend that I'll molest into looking for loose wires :up:

Thanks for the help! :jester::p:cheers:

Hey dude, this happened on my 600 LTD guitar. Its basically, sometimes as simple as making sure the Pot is like, really tight to the body/ scratch plate as if its sitting funny it can just like, fuck the wiring (which can be poor no matter how much money you spend)

but yeah, i used to hit the know up harder and it would come back on, then i realised it was moving. Also on my strat crap squir one, the neck pickup wouldnt cut in, and it was somtimes just cause the knob needed moved or i hate to move the switch with less force hahahl. So dont worry, it might not be bad wiring, just give the Tighten thing a go first.

It could be to vol pot needing cleaned out. I would try this before getting stuck in with the soldering iron. Give it a squirt with electrical cleaning fluid. Then throw it down the stairs to ensure the fluid gets right into the pot.

I think people round here might have a bit of an obsession with throwing things down stairs. hmm...:partyboy:

thats _redlight_ , I'll try that and if that fails my boyfriends gonna have the pleasure of fixing my guitar for me 8) :up: .

I should've called this thread "whats the best way to destroy a guitar? throwing it up or down stairs?"

I'd rather throw it down stairs. It would create more of a noise and it would look real dramatic in slow motion :popcorn: .:up:

if ur reallyt struggling send me a pm and ill have a look for u for free

i used to do tech stuff alot

Seriously, it sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere in the guitar, I would check if the jack is loose or anythign like that - if it is it stresses the wires connected to it and will have problems like what you are describing (before breaking the connections proeprly), either that or a similar dodgy connection somewhere else in the guitars wiring

Turning up the volume to full probably jiggles the wires about a wee bit and brings back the connection for you sometimes

With guitars, if the knobs or jacks or whatnot are ever loose, do tighten them and don't just ignore them, especially the jack (which will spin about and has more stress on it from teh cable) as it will eventually bugger up the wiring... (and its an easy job, open up the guitar, hold the component and use a spanner to tighten the nut on the outside)

David

OK sensible reply this time...I would suspect the wiring to the jack first, the pickup selecter switch second (thats easy to check, next time it cuts out try the selector in a different position and see it thats ok) ..... Just thought of something, you say it does it with another amp, do you use your own guitar lead?

G...