aberdeen-music

New Emma Forman & Dusty Valentino Track For Your Consideration

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

Vocals a wee bit quiet

Yes, I think you may be right, the vocals are actually full up but I think I'll have to mix it again with everything else lower.

quite a nice production really

agree with the vocals being too quiet, either normalise the vocal track or use a compressor/expander on it to bring it up a notch. also, was i imagining it, or were the vocals panned slightly to the right? dead center please!!!

there seems to be a lot of string/picking noise from the acoustic guitar, it generally sounds ok in the mix and contrasts quite nicely with the bass and electric guitar, but by the end of the track became really quite noticeable.

if you want to add drums (don't think the track necessarily needs it) there's a free drum machine program available at http://hydrogen-music.org

Guest DustyDeviada
quite a nice production really

agree with the vocals being too quiet' date=' either normalise the vocal track or use a compressor/expander on it to bring it up a notch. also, was i imagining it, or were the vocals panned slightly to the right? dead center please!!!

there seems to be a lot of string/picking noise from the acoustic guitar, it generally sounds ok in the mix and contrasts quite nicely with the bass and electric guitar, but by the end of the track became really quite noticeable.

if you want to add drums (don't think the track necessarily needs it) there's a free drum machine program available at [url']http://hydrogen-music.org

I'm fairly certain the vocal was dead centre, but I'll double check when I remix it.

As for picking noise, I can't really hear it myself, except on the electric 12-string (which is panned slightly left) is that what you mean? There are two identical acoustic 12 string parts panned hard left and right.

I deliberately left drums off on this occassion.

it was late when i listened to it, i could have imagined the vocal thing. also i did wonder if it could be something like a 12 string - when i said picking noise i really meant strumming noise. it's probably noticeable more because of the two separate tracks panned hard left and right. i wouldn't worry about it, it didn't sound bad - just noteable.

Guest DustyDeviada
it was late when i listened to it' date=' i could have imagined the vocal thing. also i did wonder if it could be something like a 12 string - when i said picking noise i really meant strumming noise. it's probably noticeable more because of the two separate tracks panned hard left and right. i wouldn't worry about it, it didn't sound bad - just noteable.[/quote']

I think you need a bit of "percussiveness" when you are playing a strummed acoustic part. In fact it's one of the reasons I left drums off.

I think you need a bit of "percussiveness" when you are playing a strummed acoustic part. In fact it's one of the reasons I left drums off.

I think the strumming sounds fine, and it doesn't need drums. I think I'm secure enough with my percussionality to say that. I would agree with Mr Checker that the vocal does sound very slightly off-centre.

Not particularly to my taste but good quality.

Guest DustyDeviada
I think the strumming sounds fine' date=' and it doesn't need drums. I think I'm secure enough with my percussionality to say that. I would agree with Mr Checker that the vocal does sound very slightly off-centre.

Not particularly to my taste but good quality.[/quote']

Cheers for the feedback, I didn't really expect the country vibe of this one to be everyone's cup of tea but the comments are useful.

This was my first recording on a particular digital multitracker (I'm more used to cassette based Portastudios from back in the day), so I'm sure I'll get better as I get more experience on it.

I think the vocals also lack a bit of sparkle aswell... obviosly they are too low - and this could be a consequence of that but you may need the vox to sit out better even when you bring them up... from the sounds of it they might be "muddy" when turned up but again it could be due to them being too quiet....

Have you ever considered the vocal trick where you offset the pitch a tiny amount and pan it? Makes the vocals sound full and rounded in an acoustic only song:

Basically make 2 more copies of the vocal track, one pan hard left one pan hard right and keep 1 centered.

Then on the left track detune it or pitch shift -12 cents, and on the right track make it +12 cents - add about a 25ms delay to the panned vocals and see how that sounds :) Its an cool little trick that you might find useful....

I think I used it on this track, but I have mixed the detuned vox a bit higher than normal as I wanted the full weirdo effect coming out ... the vox were quite flat before it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=479390&songID=4031524