aberdeen-music

the star wars trilogy dvd's

Noir

i got these at the weekend and after watching a new hope and empire i've noticed sooo many changes to the films, is lucas never happy?

loads of darth vaders lines have changed and boba fetts voice, and i'm sure some of the scenes are different, i haven't got to return of the jedi yet but i've heard theres just as many silly changes in it too.

Yeah id suggest you download or buy the documentary that tells you whats been re-done and what hasnt as if you are a major fan of the originals and you buy the new ones you will notice they are not the same

Jabba the hut gets a make over aswell and even moves (all remade)

Hans solo walks over jabba now and even stands on his tail :(

Yeah i agree tho is he ever happy...Why change the originals to suit the newer movies when in actual fact the originals were better than the newer star wars films

Imo the new ones shoulda been remade to be the same as the 1stthree films

I've seen interviews with George Lucas where he explains the updating of the films, saying that because the original trilogy were made using state-of-the-art technology (for their time) that it makes sense to update them, and to continue to update them as new technology becomes available. He basically said that they'll keep changing because he'll never be fully satisfied. He also wanted to bring the look of the originals in line with the prequals because it didn't make sense that in the future things would become dated.

Even so, I don't see why he had to put Hayden Christiansen into the end of Jedi with Alec Guinness. Or why he erased the Trooper banging his head.

Guest DustyDeviada
There's talk of the un-jazzed-up versions of the original trilogy being released on DVD soon. Though rumours abound that they don't exist in a useable format. I have them on video anyway...

I started a thread on it here:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35193

Does look like it will happen, though probably not in an anamorphic format which may or may not bother you depending on how much of a geek you are (it bothers me).

Due for release mid-september I believe.

I shall be buying it. The current DVD versions irritate me.

Then its a shame that the new release is actually those same dvd versions with the original versions tacked on as a "fun bonus" (from LFL press release) in unrestored' date=' non anamorphic fashion made from ancient laserdisc version. You could be forgiven for thinking otherwise due to the fact that the Lucasfilm marketing hype is all about how they are releasing the unaltered original films due to popular demand. In reality, its more likely that Lucasfilm has a heap of surplus "Special Editions" lying around in a wharehouse that they want to shift before everyone upgrades to High Def formats and the fact that they have some new computer games to flog. Sigh.

More info here: [url']http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=234933

for those that are interested