aberdeen-music

Arthur Lee Dead

Larsen B

Arthur Lee legendary frontman for the influential psych-rock band Love, has died. He was 61 years old.

As previously reported, Lee was suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Several recent benefit concerts, including one at New York City's Beacon Theater featuring Robert Plant, Yo La Tengo, and Ryan Adams, among others, raised money to help pay Lee's medical expenses. Lee's manager, Mark Linn, sent out the following email just minutes ago:

"Arthur Lee died peacefully at Methodist Hospital in Memphis, a little after four in the afternoon Aug 3, 2006 with his wife Diane by his side. His death comes as a shock to me because Arthur had the uncanny ability to bounce back from everything, and leukemia was no exception. He was confident that he would be back on stage by the fall.

"When I visited with him recently, he was visibly moved by the stories and pictures from the NYC benefit concert. He was truly grateful for the outpouring of love from friends and fans all over the world since news of his illness became public. We watched the DVD of the great House of Blues concert from '03, and he told me how much he appreciated [backing band] Baby Lemonade's dedication to his music.

"Arthur always lived in the moment, and said what he thought when he thought it. I'll miss his phone calls, and his long voice messages, but most of all I'll miss Arthur playing Arthur's music."

From Pitchforkmedia.com

Guest Gasss
Arthur Lee & Love the 1st time @ The Lemon Tree was one of those

very rare & moving experiences' date=' thirty years in the making.[/quote']

It was a very special gig. R.I.P.

the imp possee were out for the 1st two times Love played the lemon tree & its true to say that the 1st gig was one of the most special gigs we have all had the honour of attending. The permanent grin & smile on Arthur's face is ettched permanentlly on the mind. An astounding set of mainly the 1st three releases, made it all the more memorably

RIP Arthur

Guest Gasss
the imp possee were out for the 1st two times Love played the lemon tree & its true to say that the 1st gig was one of the most special gigs we have all had the honour of attending. The permanent grin & smile on Arthur's face is ettched permanentlly on the mind. An astounding set of mainly the 1st three releases' date=' made it all the more memorably

RIP Arthur[/quote']

I'm glad that after getting out of jail he managed to have a good couple of years, to tour the world and finally get some of the recognition he deserved. I saw Arthur and Baby Lemonade five times and that first gig in the Lemon Tree was definitely something else. I had the honour of meeting the big man on another occasion - he was warm, courteous and wore a cowboy hat at all times. I still can't believe he's gone.