aberdeen-music

Song meanings

black_matter

This is pretty interesting actually, I was searching for lyrics to forty six & 2 by tool for pure interest and found this site.

http://www.songmeanings.net/

It's a site basically like a forum, which has users who give there interpretations of song lyrics, and some people are pretty swotted up on song subjects.

For example forty six & 2 is about the jungian theory and chromosomes which are supposed to evolve in time and the lyrics follow accordingly. As they say you learn something new every day.

It's better to search more of a thinking man's band such as tool or pearl jam or the likes as they result in more interesting interpretations. Basically this thread is to check out song meanings and share the results just for the banter! :up:

This is pretty interesting actually' date=' I was searching for lyrics to forty six & 2 by tool for pure interest and found this site.

http://www.songmeanings.net/

It's a site basically like a forum, which has users who give there interpretations of song lyrics, and some people are pretty swotted up on song subjects.

For example forty six & 2 is about the jungian theory and chromosomes which are supposed to evolve in time and the lyrics follow accordingly. As they say you learn something new every day.

It's better to search more of a thinking man's band such as tool or pearl jam or the likes as they result in more interesting interpretations. Basically this thread is to check out song meanings and share the results just for the banter! :up:

Kind of ironic that the site is full of posts that attempt to analyse song lyrics, yet not one of the posters can actually spell worth a fuck o_O

Still, some interesting takes - from thought-provoking to the bleeding obvious to the downright pretentious.

DZL

That site is awful, most the songs I've looked up on it are pretty vague and open to interpretation, but the people who post on it really are the dumbest of the dumbest....but there is the odd person who picks up things that you were thinking, and then gets shot down, but its cool to know that someone else was on the same wavelength.

The best songs have no specific meaning and are written to intentionally create such madness, a la "I am the Walrus"...thank fuck everyone on the site realises this aswell!

Kind of ironic that the site is full of posts that attempt to analyse song lyrics' date=' yet not one of the posters can actually spell worth a fuck o_O

[/quote']

I did notice that but it's not really a problem because there is at least one proper interpretation behind a song, of course it has to have some commercial status as the forum deals with bigger bands rather than local bands.

Some of my favourites:

Cemetary Gates by The Smiths:

Going to a cemetry and reading the gravestones, wondering how they lived their lifes. Morrissey also mentions some of his fave authors including Keats and Yeats, and of course Oscar Wilde. Also mentions being original and not to plagiarise and use your own words when writing

Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying by Belle & Sebastian:

It's about death, right? And yet the tune is so upbeat.

Reach by S Club 7

I think this song is about drugs and the dealer [You can count on me (dealer), I will be there for you]. The stars are infact the drugs, and when you're feeling blue you should reach for the pill bottle. Then you'll be able to do what ever you want - climb mountains, follow rainbows (hallucinations???).

Oh dear, oh dear.

in the interest of banter, i look up some peoples interpretations of 50 cent songs and there are some cracking quotes in there! check these out:

I think this song is about how 50 cent needs to shut the fuck up and take a 10th bullet that hopefully kills him this time.
"I'm waitin on niggaz to act like they dont know how to act

I had a sip of too much Jack, I'll blow em off the map"

To me 50 is trying to say that he is drunk and wants to shoot someone.

why for fucks sake why, did that guy who shot him not hit him in the face once with 9 bullets!? .. i guess, if you pay in peanuts, u get monkeys

class!

/x