aberdeen-music

Amp for trade

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

Engls are fab' date=' but modern Marshalls are not, they seem to have forgotten to include bass nowadays...[/quote']

Erm!!....I don't know where you get that idea. I get things falling off the wall and shelves etc with my DSL 50. But it is a different bass (not less) from the JMP 1989 50 watt head I own.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm!!....I don't know where you get that idea. I get things falling off the wall and shelves etc with my DSL 50. But it is a different bass (not less) from the JMP 1989 50 watt head I own.

I get that idea from playing through modern Marshalls, I don't like them. Simple as that :p

Anyone else got a non (new) Marshall valve amp that they are willing to trade?

That's a fair point! But I'd say JCM 900's are probably the last good amp that Marshall made...

I played through one years ago and thought they sounded fucking horrible. :D

Anyway, I dunno how you can judge a 100 watter if you've not been able to crank it properly!?

That's a fair point! But I'd say JCM 900's are probably the last good amp that Marshall made...

Ah!! Ladies and gentlemen, here we see the dawning of a new myth. Soon it will grow to be huge, and you will be unable to buy into the myth for love nor money. Ebay will soon have a few of these mythical creatures on their site, all going of mega money of course because they are the last of a dying breed.

I've heard the same said about nearly every model from Marshall, plexi, bluesbreaker, 1959, 1989, 800's and now 900's.

If you care to wait, you will find the same said for DSL's and TSL's etc. However, by that time the mythical giant 900, will be an icon in the marshall legend.

Ah!! Ladies and gentlemen' date=' here we see the dawning of a new myth. Soon it will grow to be huge, and you will be unable to buy into the myth for love nor money. Ebay will soon have a few of these mythical creatures on their site, all going of mega money of course because they are the last of a dying breed.

I've heard the same said about nearly every model from Marshall, plexi, bluesbreaker, 1959, 1989, 800's and now 900's.

If you care to wait, you will find the same said for DSL's and TSL's etc. However, by that time the mythical giant 900, will be an icon in the marshall legend.[/quote']

I'm not try to create a new myth about Marshalls here, this is my personal opinion and the reasoning why I am not willing to trade my amp for any TSL/DSL's etc...

Remember, I am not really interested in selling this amp as I don't want to be left without one, I am wanting to trade it for something a bit more versitile, preferably a two channel valve combo that isn't a Marshall!

...but still rumped squarely up the bum by the Mesa Boogie Rectifier :up:

I've always found Mesa's to be one dimensional and nearly impossible to find spares for in the uk. Marshalls are like Transit vans, reliable, do the job, not overly expensive and you tend to get out of them what you put into them.

:up:

I've always found Mesa's to be one dimensional and nearly impossible to find spares for in the uk. Marshalls are like Transit vans' date=' reliable, do the job, not overly expensive and you tend to get out of them what you put into them.

:up:[/quote']

IMHO the Mesa's are better built, but horses for courses - I wouldn't let my indifferent experience with my JCM2000 reflect on Marshall's fine legacy.

Now, Hughes and Kettner - that's my next stop :up:

IMHO the Mesa's are better built' date=' but horses for courses - I wouldn't let my indifferent experience with my JCM2000 reflect on Marshall's fine legacy.

Now, Hughes and Kettner - that's my next stop :up:[/quote']

I'd expect them to be better built as they're more expensive. Problem is that if something does go wrong as there's no parts distribution for Mesa in the UK its nigh on impossible to get someone to fix it without them ordering the parts from the US etc thus bumping up repair costs.

I've never had any trouble with my JCM2000 (hastily touches some wood ;) ) but i know if something does go wrong getting it fixed will be a doddle. Thats why so many touring bands use them, as they're easy to fix.

I'm not a massive fan of the H & K either, though Maxi was really complimentary about his one.

I've always found Marshall Valve amps to be very flexible in both the clean and distorted stakes so much so that i'm more than happy to let my amp do the talking without resorting to a seperate distortion pedal. And my clean sound is borderline fabulous :)

I've never been happier with a purchase than i have been with my current amp and i've never failed in getting a great tone out of it live either, which for me is the most important part.

i was due to purchase a tech 21

however,

i made a visit to the MATAMP workshop the other day

its safe to say that a custom built matamp will knock spots off of every amp mentioned on this page. by a country mile.

marshall heads are rubbish these days. MATAMP are not and have never been and never will be

fucking tone

i cant wait to get it and lord it over everyone

i was due to purchase a tech 21

however' date='

i made a visit to the MATAMP workshop the other day

its safe to say that a custom built matamp will knock spots off of every amp mentioned on this page. by a country mile.

marshall heads are rubbish these days. MATAMP are not and have never been and never will be

fucking tone

i cant wait to get it and lord it over everyone[/quote']

I believe fellow forum member Lucky Shot has one coming his way also... I look forward to hearing these beasts of tone!!! 8)

Everybody says that about their new amp. I agree though MATAMPs are good, still like my Marshall head through the rather sexy Marshall 2x12 that MKII sold me ( it sounds marvellous) I have started using my tube screamer a wee bit more though, but that is more down to a change of musical direction (to a certain extent) in Genevieve.:up:

Everybody says that about their new amp. I agree though MATAMPs are good

*ahem* MATAMPS are not just good amps' date=' they are GREAT amps. Shitting on marshalls since forever

still like my Marshall head through the rather sexy Marshall 2x12 that MKII sold me ( it sounds marvellous) I have started using my tube screamer a wee bit more though, but that is more down to a change of musical direction (to a certain extent) in Genevieve.:up:

everybody says that about their new amp