aberdeen-music

Interesting Article...

Diesel

Thought this was an interesting article...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::68AP

...I don't necessarily agree with it' date=' but some good points.

DZL[/quote']

"That golden decade brought us the -- perhaps unwitting -- bannermen and women of rock & roll's birthright hedonism. Acts like Cinderella, Ratt, Poison, the Beastie Boys, Poison, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Warrant, Dokken, Mötley Crüe, Whitesnake, Lita Ford, Van Halen (and later David Lee Roth solo), Def Leppard, Winger, Faster Pussycat, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Vixen, Britny Fox, the Scorpions, and more."

:laughing: What a load of tosh...apart from the Beastie Boys...if those bands can be held up to describe the 80s as a golden decade it shows how dire it actually was.

:laughing:

Thought this was an interesting article...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::68AP

...I don't necessarily agree with it' date=' but some good points.

DZL[/quote']

What a fucking pile of wank.

there's fuck all good points in the there. It's just some aging journalist aching back to his youth and deriding the music of present at the same time. He's out of touch and bitter, that's all.

Anyone could write the same article for any decade of the last 40 years and change the decade and the bands to suit their narrow agenda.

The article is a pointless, ill considered waste of band width that's blinkered in its sphere of reference (cinderella? ratt? godsmack? - it's parochial and to the USA alone). Half of the bands mentioned had no real impact outwith America.

Guest DustyDeviada

The 80s were like every other decade, some good music, some crap music.

Most of the acts in the quote above fall into the latter category (The Scorpions? WTF?)

Guest DustyDeviada
... and another thing - it's all rock bands.

No mention of Acid House' date=' Hip Hop, R&B, Britpop, etc etc.[/quote']

Britpop, as I think of it anyway, starts around 1994.

But there should definitely be mention of the New Romantics.

Please don't mention them' date=' you've already mentioned The Scorpions...jester's bound to be lurking here somewhere :|[/quote']

Did I mention that www.allmusic.com is an AMERICAN site? To them, Cinderella, Dokken and all that poodle-rock pish was/is high art and that MTV is music.

They wouldn't know shit about New Romantic - which was created at meeting between Clothing and Record moguls. The whole idea was concoted in order to shift the stockpile of jodhpurs that had had been produced following an (incorrectly) expected upturn in the popularity of Showjumping.

It's a fact :up:

I partially agree with the article with relevance to the US rock scene, specificially the LA rock scene although in my opinion the 90s lacked genuinely new creativity with reguards to music. A lot of the bands mentioned in that article, are still touring and playing to huge crowds. There is however unlikely to be many more new hair metal bands which get immensely popular. I would tend to argue in the opposite direction from what is being said in that article, each decade of the 20th century, had genuinely new musical styles formed, the 90s however did not really.

Grunge (intially interesting as it may be), dominanted popular US rock in the early 90s, a few years later nu metal gained huge popularity. I still view the LA rock scene in the late 80s and early 90s are far more positive than for most of the 90s. In my view the 90s is still the weakest decade for popular popular music since it was first created.

Grunge and nu metal were both self pitying and self centred styles of music. This has not existed to nearly that extent since african american blues guitar.

There were plenty of good bands in the 90s but on the whole there was lack of genuinely new styles and creative thinking. What is often presented as new styles i.e nu metal and various types of hip hops usually weren't immensely diffenret from some artists in the 80s.

In the UK, the 90's was generally a very conservative decade. This was reflected in music, brit pop is a conservative style of music, it is looking back to only one time with little new thinking encorporated. The dance, trance and euro disco stuff is often a lifestyle orientated type of music, it is made for parties, clubs and Ibiza. It has recently became deeply accociated with Chav culture.

I also believe the lack of imaginative thinking in the 90s, could be partially due 100's of channels of low quality TV and some computer games (not all computer games are bad for imagination, but some are). The general imagination of an artist is hugely important when creating music.

There is also a differnet attitude to learning in the 90s, as if it should be done for you. In the 60s, rock stars learnt their instruments by themselves and would develop good musical ears as a result. In the 90s, many learn from guitar tabs and use little of their own initiative with creating and writing music.

Please note, I wish to study music to degree level and beyond and I am strongly in favour of people learning how to play music, the point i was tryinig to put across was to do with attitudes of the time.