aberdeen-music

Slayer vs Strapping Young Lad

Hog

I love a can of worms.

I like Slayer, damn good band but I do think that SYL are better.

Devin, better vocalist, not monotone. He is also an amazing guitarist, sweeping, tapping scales etc.

Araya, solid bassist, hate his vocals, awesome song writer.

King/Hanneman- Samey solos but great riff writers, better than Jed Simon although Jed is solid as a rhythm guitarist.

Drums (fave part)

Gene Hoglan vs Dave Lombardo.

Hoglan pawns Lombardo. He was Lombardo's drum-tech and taught him double bass. Even the Slayer guys said that Hoglan was more natural on the kick drums.

Songwise, mmm, maybe Slayer. SYL have had some bad stuff (self titled album) although Dev is known for working too hard and leaving it to the band to write songs, bipolar moments. I really like Alien, it was damn close to City regarding quality. Slayer have also made some great albums, RIB, SOH etc.

I tried not to be biast, feel free to say what you think. (but dont have a fit, yes Im a minority)

Devin KILLS Araya vocally. Dev has to be one of the best vocalists in metal if not THE best.

King and Hanneman can be good. I love Hanneman's riffs. I can't name one riff by SYL that outdoes many Slayer riffs (Angel Of Death slower hammer on one to name one).

Lombardo does some quality stuff for sure. Gene is better IMO though.

It's a tough one to call to be honest. I prefer Slayer from a guitarist point of view. More people that aren't guitar players will much prefer SYL I imagine though. Fuller things going on with them.

I agree with SYL's self titled being iffy, but then again Slayer have Diabolus In Musica so...

As a guitarist brought up on 80's thrash - Slayer wins for me. I love SYL though! Alien is one of my best purchases of the last couple of years (I think I prefer it to City).

If it's a question of E106 fanboy-ness then the correct title should be 'SYL vs Metallica'. :up:

i was majorly disappointed when i heard cult from there forthcoming album. It sounded so gay screaming about how fake god is' date=' I felt they were pushing it to look cool.[/quote']

...o_O

I don't think I can bring myself to another comment right now.

I love a can of worms.

I like Slayer' date=' damn good band but I do think that SYL are better.

Devin, better vocalist, not monotone. He is also an amazing guitarist, sweeping, tapping scales etc.

Araya, solid bassist, hate his vocals, awesome song writer.

King/Hanneman- Samey solos but great riff writers, better than Jed Simon although Jed is solid as a rhythm guitarist.

Drums (fave part)

Gene Hoglan vs Dave Lombardo.

Hoglan pawns Lombardo. He was Lombardo's drum-tech and taught him double bass. Even the Slayer guys said that Hoglan was more natural on the kick drums.

Songwise, mmm, maybe Slayer. SYL have had some bad stuff (self titled album) although Dev is known for working too hard and leaving it to the band to write songs, bipolar moments. I really like Alien, it was damn close to City regarding quality. Slayer have also made some great albums, RIB, SOH etc.

I tried not to be biast, feel free to say what you think. (but dont have a fit, yes Im a minority)[/quote']

When you put it like that Hawg, I think SYL do look better "on paper". However, I prefer Slayer purely on who I'd rather listen to. Although I have a complex relationship with Slayer, I can never decide if they are total brilliance or total shite.

When you put it like that Hawg' date=' I think SYL do look better "on paper". However, I prefer Slayer purely on who I'd rather listen to. Although I have a complex relationship with Slayer, I can never decide if they are total brilliance or total shite.[/quote']

Depends which album you're listening to of course!

Both are boring' date=' generic metal for the Sunny Delight generation. Listen to Rupture instead.[/quote']

Slayer were probably the reason all those shit bands you listen to started playing their racket in the first place. And SYL - whether you love or hate them - are anything but boring and generic.

And if other people actually DID listen to Rupture then YOU probably wouldn't. If more than 3 people cared about them, they'd obviously be a corporate-dick-sucking-emo-band-for-the-wet-knicker-brigade, regardless of their musical output.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Slayer were probably the reason all those shit bands you listen to started playing their racket in the first place. And SYL - whether you love or hate them - are anything but boring and generic.

And if other people actually DID listen to Rupture then YOU probably wouldn't. If more than 3 people cared about them' date=' they'd obviously be a corporate-dick-sucking-emo-band-for-the-wet-knicker-brigade, regardless of their musical output.[/quote']

This is his funniest post yet, and that's saying something. Not a clue.

Dink, I'd usually say that when I want your opinion I'll ask for it. However, I will never ask for your opinion as you have no fucking idea what you're on about, which is standard practice for you. Over-using the word "probably" says it all, really. Stick to your metalcore-lite. And surely you should be too busy with your going-places band than having a pop (no pun intended) at me on the internet. Run along now, you're gonna be a star.

Excluding SYL and DTB..ok.

1) Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend

2) Terria by Devin Townsend

3) Infinity by DEVIN toWNSEND

4) Devlab

5) Im kidding...

Serious..

After SYL and the DTB..

1) Ulver

2) Type O Negative

3) Pantera

4) Metallica

5) Megadeth+Tom Waits are even stevens

Honoury mentions to Frantic Bleep, Dimmu Borgir, Annihilator, Helloween, Corrupted, Fear Factory, Enya and Philip Glass.

Your top 5

1) Slayer

2) Metallica

3) Cannibal Corpse

4) Decapitated

5) Pantera

Slayer for me. SYL are aright like but not bothered with them since City. But i have to agree about "Cult" though i had to shake my head when i heard the "religion is shit, religion is pish, religion is gay.... religion is wank, religion is poop i wish it'd go away!!" That horse died a long time ago Mr King. Stop fucking flogging it!!!! What happened to the OTHER topics in Slayer's lyrical bag? Surely they haven't ran out of Serial Killers and various Historical Tyrants?

New topic: why does Kerry King's lyrics have to rhyme? (i'm assuming he did Cult though - but it tends to be the case).

Oh, could Jake & Dan please just FUCK and get it over with!!! I'm sick of all this online foreplay.