aberdeen-music

Different places in the world to visit.

Hog

Where in the world would you like to visit which is off the beaten path?

Me...

I have been to UAE twice and love it but would love to visit some arabic countries that are not known for tourism. For some reason I would love to check out Iran although I doubt it would be safe to do so.

Also the Polynesian Micro Islands (seems like paradise).

What about you?

Bullet proof vest Del?

btwhow you doing mate? long time no speak:up:

i'm good ta hog and yes long time no speak! sierra leaone is pretty safe at the mo, well in the capitol freetown (which spookily enough has a suburb called aberdeen i kid you not!), the civil war there ended in 2002 but the home office advise against travelling in the country, looks a really interesting place has to be said!

Whilst i've been back in Elgin this summer, to avoid mind numbing boredom me and my mates have held a weekly 'adventure sunday': where we find a random place somewhere in the coast (north or west), and see what there is to do. We take our tour van, so we can fit inflatable dinghy's, inflatable tubes, body boards etc.

Last weekend involved a 15mile trek from Rothes to Fochabers down the river spey on inflatables. It took 4 and a half hours, left us all sunburnt, with symptoms of hypothermia, and bruises all over from the frequent rapids, but it was a great laugh. It was the first time i'd ever seen a Heron, as well as a salmon jumping just next to us.

There's still so much of undiscovered Scotland i'd like to see. Especially the west coast.

It was the first time i'd ever seen a Heron

Really? wow. I saw a heron in the river cowie at Stonehaven a couple of weeks ago. Saw another one in Cruden Bay at the start of the summer. They're quite common.

But I agree about Scotland. It's nice to go abroad and see the world but it's also good to see the rest of your own country as well. We have stunning scenery here and it's all within a few hours drive.

Guest neil ex
Whilst i've been back in Elgin this summer' date=' to avoid mind numbing boredom me and my mates have held a weekly 'adventure sunday': where we find a random place somewhere in the coast (north or west), and see what there is to do. We take our tour van, so we can fit inflatable dinghy's, inflatable tubes, body boards etc.

Last weekend involved a 15mile trek from Rothes to Fochabers down the river spey on inflatables. It took 4 and a half hours, left us all sunburnt, with symptoms of hypothermia, and bruises all over from the frequent rapids, but it was a great laugh. It was the first time i'd ever seen a Heron, as well as a salmon jumping just next to us.

There's still so much of undiscovered Scotland i'd like to see. Especially the west coast.[/quote']

Yeah I agree with Scotland. So many of the places I've seen in Scotland were when I was young (and not as interested).

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Japan and Australia. I WILL go!

Seconded, that's my two. Japan on principle, and to pick up some vinyl. Australia, so I can visit Gus Chamber's grave.

this thread is really making want to get this job in africa, bout time i did some travelling again, though in september i'm going to visit cornwall for the first time and earlier this year and explored the south west of ireland for the first time. we do have a lot on our doorstep but you cant beat being miles miles away (thinking of me time in hawaii and mexico back in 97 now...)

Libya.

I went to Tripoli a few years back with work. It was really nice. OK, so they don't allow alcohol, but the folk were real friendly and weren't western hating as I expected.

Tripoli was an Italian colony for ages before they won independence. The building are Italian design with arabic touches and the food is Italian with spices. The food was really good, but they didn't have very much of it.

There are two ruined cities out in the desert, almost intact from the time they were swallowed by the sand. You can wander around them and find coins and pottery just lying around. There were very few tourists. A very cool place just now.

pete

Libya.

I went to Tripoli a few years back with work. It was really nice. OK' date=' so they don't allow alcohol, but the folk were real friendly and weren't western hating as I expected.

Tripoli was an Italian colony for ages before they won independence. The building are Italian design with arabic touches and the food is Italian with spices. The food was really good, but they didn't have very much of it.

There are two ruined cities out in the desert, almost intact from the time they were swallowed by the sand. You can wander around them and find coins and pottery just lying around. There were very few tourists. A very cool place just now.

pete[/quote']

Now we are talking.

Thread did mean "unusual places". Libya must of been really interesting.

Anyway..back to the people who want to visit Elgin.