aberdeen-music

Cooking

Afro Droid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my chilli recipe:

brown mince (because I'm a good healthy boy I use lean beef mince, 250g of it, which should make enough for 2 servings)

add a whole chopped small - medium sized onion

add 2 garlic cloves crushed

add a beef stock cube and stir it in (this is a bit of a cheat but makes it taste much more beefy and cancels out a bit of the tomatoes)

add 2 or 3 teaspoons of dried oregano and some chilli flakes (both of these depends on taste)

season heavily and then add some tomatoe puree and half a jar of Passatta (sieved tomatoes)

cover the pan and leave on a low heat to simmer for at least an hour

You can add kidney beans if you like, I usually forget to buy them so don't bother.

my chilli recipe:

brown mince (because I'm a good healthy boy I use lean beef mince' date=' 250g of it, which should make enough for 2 servings)

add a whole chopped small - medium sized onion

add 2 garlic cloves crushed

add a beef stock cube and stir it in (this is a bit of a cheat but makes it taste much more beefy and cancels out a bit of the tomatoes)

add 2 or 3 teaspoons of dried oregano and some chilli flakes (both of these depends on taste)

season heavily and then add some tomatoe puree and half a jar of Passatta (sieved tomatoes)

cover the pan and leave on a low heat to simmer for at least an hour

You can add kidney beans if you like, I usually forget to buy them so don't bother.[/quote']

Then add one segment of chocolate (70% Cocoa). Trust me, it sounds weird but it really does make the chilli.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Jake's pasta special:

300-400g Pasta(natch)

2 jars Dolmio Mushroom Sauce

2-3 chicken breasts

Small box of mushrooms

1 tin sweetcorn

Boil the pasta, grill the chicken on the George, drain pasta, cut chicken into chunks and bung it all in together until the sauce bubbles. Should keep you going for a while.

I disagree. A couple of cans of kidney beans bulks it up and adds texture. Plus they're very good for you. If you don't have them you're basically just eating spicy mince.

With Ross on the chocolate. It takes it to a whole new dimension. A squeeze of lime or some decent beer are also good variables to introduce to the mix. Green peppers are very good in there too.

with you on both the kidney beans and the chocolate(dark if possible)

also, fresh coriander, a good handful roughly chopped is amazing in chilli.

cooking is spot on. it's fairly creative, passes the boring hours between 5 and 7 pretty nicely and allows you to impress girls from the comfort of your own kitchen.

having been involved in a discussion elsewhere on what is authentic chilli, then it is just spicy mince. The kidney beans and tomatoes are completely optional.

To clarify what I said earlier, I actually prefer to add kidney beans but I always forget to buy them. Chilli is still ace without it though and I think everyone has a different way of making it.

Cheesy Chicken with Leeks and Sweet Potato:

40g butter or reduced fat spread for cooking.

25g plain flour

300ml milk

125g mature half fat Cheddar

250g lean cooked chicken breast, diced

2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped

2 leeks, washed and chopped

500g sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced

-Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5.

-Melt 25g butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.

-Gradually stir in the milk, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes until thickened and smooth.

-Remove from the heat and stir in most of the cheese, the chicken and parsley (reserving a little for garnish).

-Meanwhile, heat 15g butter in a saucepan and cook the leeks for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally and add to the chicken mixture.

-Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until just tender. Drain.

-Spoon the chicken mixture into an ovenproof dish and arrange the potato slices on top.

-Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.

-For an extra crispy top, place under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes before serving.

Very tasty :)

having been involved in a discussion elsewhere on what is authentic chilli' date=' then it is just spicy mince. The kidney beans and tomatoes are completely optional.

To clarify what I said earlier, I actually prefer to add kidney beans but I always forget to buy them. Chilli is still ace without it though and I think everyone has a different way of making it.[/quote']

absolutely. hope you didn't get the wrong idea by my reply. i'm just a kidney beans sort of person.

i was actually speaking to a mate in estaminet about chilli last night and apparently "chilli con carne" just means "chillies with beef" or something along those lines. Also Salsa just means sauce which I find quite amusing for some reason.

anyway...

I dont know the exact measurements but this is a good side dish to have at barbecues etc but it's EXTREMELY filling.

serves2

-half a bag of baby new potatoes

-250ml of double cream (a small pot basically)

-2-4 garlic cloves (depending on how much you like garlic)

-fresh thyme

-sliced mushrooms (optional)

basically you wanna boil the tatties as you normally would (you need to leave the skins on).

while they're their thing crush the garlic cloves, roughly chop your thyme and cut your mushrooms. add all of these to your cold cream in a bowl and get them good and mixed. once your tatties are done, drain them and leave them to cool down for 10-20mins. then gently crush the potatoes in the pan. DON'T mash them, the idea is to break the skin enough that the potatoes will soak up some of the sauce but retain their spud-like qualities. then add your cream sauce to the potatoes and heat on a low heat until the mixture thickens up a little (5-10mins should do the trick but it's better to take longer at a low heat than to try and speed up the process by overheating) then serve.

i hope those instructions make some sense...?(

Miss Rachie, you just totally ripped that off of Sainsbury's website :p

Not so much a recipe because I never remember how I make things, I usually just make it up as I go, but sweet potatoes rubbed with olive oil and cooked in the oven for about 45-60 mins are fucking gorgeous. Nice alternative to bog standard baked potatoes.

Best thing to do with cooking is just taken stuff you like and chuck it together, you might end up with some suspicious stuff but after a while you'll hit the jackpot and create something fucking amazing. I can make this awesome chorizo and chickpea thingy which is ace but possibly the most anti social dish ever as it contains stinky sausage, garlic, chili and red onion. I shall dig out the recipe.

I really like cooking, especially since going off to uni. Cooking for one's a bit of a pain but it did get me eating heaps of fruit and veg because you have to consciously use them up before they go off.

I use this site all the time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

One of my favourite things to make are stuffed peppers. Not going to go into full details because I'll just miss something out. You basically drizzle some pepper halves in olive oil and bake them in the oven for 12 minutes. Red peppers are sweetest and yummiest. In the mean time chop a red onion, some green pepper, red pepper, couple of tomatoes get it in a pan with a bit of oil, some tumeric, ground coriander, then you put a dry portion of rice in with all that and add boiling water just til the rice is covered. Boil that for however long your rice takes to cook. then let the water boil off, add some mozzarella if you want because it makes the rice better for stuffing, salt, pepper, in your peppers. Super yummy.

Nothing beats a coconutass gammon joint. Make deep slices all over the gammon and fill them with chopped up pink lady apples, I also add in heaps of Lazy Garlic - both underneath and inside the gammon to really get it tasty. Finally, a generous splatering of runney honey for the meat to soak up. Usually takes about 40 minutes to cook, but best basting it at least once.

Lazy garlic is the most used ingredient in my cooking, it's totally BRAH!

3_1.jpg

Miss Rachie' date=' you just totally ripped that off of Sainsbury's website :p

Not so much a recipe because I never remember how I make things, I usually just make it up as I go, but sweet potatoes rubbed with olive oil and cooked in the oven for about 45-60 mins are fucking gorgeous. Nice alternative to bog standard baked potatoes.

Best thing to do with cooking is just taken stuff you like and chuck it together, you might end up with some suspicious stuff but after a while you'll hit the jackpot and create something fucking amazing. I can make this awesome chorizo and chickpea thingy which is ace but possibly the most anti social dish ever as it contains stinky sausage, garlic, chili and red onion. I shall dig out the recipe.[/quote']

Never said it had to be my own recipe :p it's just a recipe I highly recommend ;)

My super ace guacamole.

(into a bowl)

2 avacados

i finelly chopped small onion

fresh corriander chopped

2 tomatoes

jalepenos

bit of mayonaise if you want.

squeezed lime.

salt and pepper

get your hands in there!

eat on warburtons seeded batch bread for a fucking grand sandwich or with lightly salted doritos.

Bit exspensive to make but its damn good.Really moreish and light.

S -U -P -E -R -B.

Lazy garlic is pretty handy, as is Lazy Chili. I've noticed that Asda sell packets of ready chopped onions for the truely inept among us.

Chickpea and Chorizo Cassoulet

fry a red onion and a clove of garlic in a smidgen of olive olive til transparent, add red pepper and chorizo which *has* to be the actual sausage chopped up and not just the wafer thin bits you buy in packets, you want it to be nice and chunky. Fry for about 5 minutes. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and a handful of fresh baby tomatoes and a can of chickpeas in water (you can leave out the water they were stored in if you want,doesn't really matter). Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chickpeas have gone nice and soft. Serve with crusty bread to soak up sauce. And avoid people for a day due to the extreme smellyness. Serves 2, not recommended for a romantic night in.

Guest bluesxman

My chilli recipe -

450g lean mince

1 large can of chopped tomatoes

1 small can of tomato puree

1 can kidney beans

1 medium onion

2 cloves garlic

2 teaspoons hot chilli powder

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

1 teaspoon pepper

1.5 teaspoons salt

1 bottle beer

Lightly fry chopped onion in some olive oil in a suitable size of pan. Add mince and brown. Add crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper, chilli powder, cumin seeds and mix. Add can of chopped tomatoes, can of tomato puree and bottle of beer, stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 50 mins. Add can of kidney beans and simmer for further 10 minutes.

Chilli is now ready to eat, however, I have found that if left to cool and stored in fridge overnight, a much better taste is obtained, so if you are planning the meal in advance I would do it that way, much more authentic taste and less of the 'tomatoey' taste Chris spoke of. Cooking a few hours earlier than required then reheating is a slightly less effective method.

On the subject of the beer, I have found Becks or San Miguel to be best. Anything with that stronger taste is better than piss weak lager or beers. IMHO obviously! Chopped mushrooms or green peppers can also add a nice touch.

Chilli is now ready to eat' date=' however, I have found that if left to cool and stored in fridge overnight, a much better taste is obtained, so if you are planning the meal in advance I would do it that way, much more authentic taste and less of the 'tomatoey' taste Chris spoke of. Cooking a few hours earlier than required then reheating is a slightly less effective method.

[/quote']

Wholeheartedly agree :up:

This thread has been an eye opener for me; i've always though i'm the only one who puts chocolate and beer in their chilli, and cooks it the night before eating cause it tastes better the next day

Guest bluesxman
Wholeheartedly agree :up:

This thread has been an eye opener for me; i've always though i'm the only one who puts chocolate and beer in their chilli' date=' and cooks it the night before eating cause it tastes better the next day[/quote']

Haven't done the chocolate thing will have to try next time. The leaving overnight thing works with soup too, tastes heaps better!

My random soup recipe -

Half bag red lentils

1 medium onion

1 leek

2 large carrots

3 potatos

2 vegetable stock cubes

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons black crushed pepper

Bring large pan of water to boil, add washed red lentils and bring to boil, boil rapidly for ten minutes, add everything else chopped up, simmer for at least one hour. Will need seasoned to personal taste when served.

i love cooking and soups are my main area of prowess! my favourite at the moment, which is excellent since we're in the summer months and it's nice and light, is the following (stolen and adapted from altnation!):

red pepper with lime soup (this is it made in mass quantities are i like to do!!)

15 red peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped

4 small-med onions, roughly chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

3 limes (grate the rinds finely and squeeze in the juice)

3 tbsp tomato puree

3 red chili peppers

2l stock (veg or chicken is best)

put the onions and garlic in a large pan with about 3 tbsp of oil and cook on a medium heat until they start to go clear. you might need to add a little more oil to stop them sticking but don't go mental because this is a really healthy recipe so the less oil the better.

add all the chopped red pepers and cover. leave for about ten mins or until the peppers go orange and realease a lot of water. add the rest of the ingredients and boil for about half an hour. leave to cool and blend down as finely as you want it. i do it quite fine but leave enough texture to give it a little bite.

this quantity is enough to keep you in soup for 2 meals a day for about 4-5 days. by the end of it, you'll still be enjoying the soup but about ready to move onto something else.

my top tip is to go to woolies and buy some addis 'clip and close' tupperware tubs to keep it fresh in the fridge. they are watertight and so it's perfect for taking the soup to work. the square 700ml shallow one, pictured here: product_detail.php?product_id=119 is the perfect size for the standard bowls that whittard of chelsea make, which you can get on sale just about all year round! that's todays money saving tip for work lunches and a diet of this soup with breakfast and no snacks is also the reason i lost 3 1/2 stone!

spoons

/x

that's more like it spoonie, no pre-prepared bollox (jake?! "cooking" isn't opening a jar of sauce and heating it up!)

I've been doing a morrocan lamb "thing" of recent, dead tasty.

lamb necks cut into cubes (how ever many you want)

onions

garlic (aye, the proper stuff, not "lazy" (vinegary pish))

tomatoes

tomato paste

lime

cinamon sticks

cumin

tumerick

chillis

tabasco

salt and pepper, of course.

heat a sauce pan so you can fry the chopped onions + garlic (don't burn it), then brown the lamb. once brown, add the spices. Drop the heat to "fook all" (1 or 2 on my electric hob) and pour in 1/4 - 1/2 of a bottle of red wine. Add tomatoes + tomato puree / paste + cinamon stick(s) + tabasco. low simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours. (you can add potatoes if you are not going to have it with rice), serve with rice (with a cumin seed / saffron in it).

I don't use weights / amounts, it's more fun cooking without them!

you can also marinade the lamb in lime + tomatoes and the dry spices, but not for too long, as the acid can fuck the lamb up. (make it tough).

the long slow cook makes the lamb just fall appart....delicious.