aberdeen-music

if religion was banned and drugs legalized....

delboy

No, because there would be just as many wars, if not more, due to billions of people wanting to practice their religion. Plus God would be a bit pissed off if no one was paying any attention to 'it'.

As for legalising drugs, hmmm, that would mean even more junkies. No thanks!

would the world be better for it?

discuss.

Quite simply, no. The problem? As the illicit bible trade would need to go underground, the bible dealers would push up the price of bibles to exceptional levels. In order to feed their bible habits, the religous would increasingly turn to crime. Levels of muggings, burglary and fraud would increase massively, the prisons would become overcrowded and lawlessness would ensue.

Legalising drugs would keep prices down, meaning less mugging and robbery to feed habits, and generally making the position of drug dealer obsolete. If somebody wants drugs under the current laws, it's really not that hard to get 'em illegally anyway. Might as well just keep them sensibley regulated.

Also, to (near) quote Renton from Trainspotting: "We'd take vitamin C if they made it illegal."

If something's not allowed, it gets a certain romanticism assosciated with it... forbidden love and all that. With people free to make their own choice, it's quite likely that they would choose the chance to stay clean. In another bullet point, the hemp trade would also be free to sell all natural, very useful items. 'Course, this is mere speculation, and it could all go the completely opposite way if brought into effect: Junkies scattering the streets... Pete Doherty being forced to start eating sherbet fountains in a bid to grab headlines... Tesco being short staffed due to exhaustion from filling up the cheap sweets so frequently, as stoned teenagers queue out the door for a munchies fix.

Outlawing religion... difficult. Maybe organized religion... but what would happen to the Vatican's Nazi Gold? Give it to Bernardos?

Although impossible (can of worms time). I would ban certain parts of religion.

An example- Thousands of women die in the Phillipines every year because of backstreet abortions because the country is run by an uber-catholic government. Sorry but that is taking womens rights away and causing avoidable death.

Islamic countries that imprison/beat/murder gay people is another one. Seriously, how draconian.

The list is endless...

About to start a massive paper on governments' attitudes to the drugs trade and although the only credible solution to tackle it (to benefit every side which the trade affects) is to legalise all drugs, it's never going to happen.

I feel your proposition is probably the two best things that could happen in this world at the moment, Del for president!

Think about it, you ban something(religion) that billions of people believe in and feel very stongly about, that would cause severe problems. Banning religion would mark the beginning of the end.

It doesn't matter anyway, cos it's not going to happen.

Legalize drugs? Maybe soft stuff but hard stuff could cause major problems IMHO

not really, it's only the fact that hard drugs are illegal and expensive, that makes them a problem, as people need to fund their addictions with crime...

I've always said, if heroin was available on the NHS, it'd be helpful in a few ways, you could educate people about the use of the terribly addictive stuff, you could make sure the environment was controlled, (clean, safe etc), and people wouldn't have to pay for it, so no need to steal people's stereos / ipods etc.

if the argument against it is "it'd promote drug use", it wouldn't, as I'd said, the place to take it, would have an education centre, to advise against taking it.

and, people already take it, so why would it be "more of an incentive" to take the shit ?

I just think people need to be more open and honest about the realities of life, be they good or bad.

--- as for banning religion, something else would take it's place, people need guidance, and "support", as most humans are too weak or pathetic to take control / responsibility for their own actions, and there are far too many people who want to control weak and gullible people.

I saw the poster on the church on union street, "people say that god is just a crutch for the weak" (nope, that'll be the church's job).

I think faith (personal faith)is a wonderful thing, it's organised religion and corrupt organisations that are the downside the whole shooting match.

my tuppeth.

Lepeep is absolutely bang on here, so i'm not going to repeat his arguments. Speaks volumes that theres no hard evidence to support any explosion of addicts to hard drugs such as crack or heroin, and the tremendous success rates in Switzerland for drugs rehab with these substances rather than methodone which is often inaffective.

The other school of thought is the idea of personal choice here - why should we be able to regulate what people put into their own bodies? If such people then need help, then we can deal with it in a quick and effective way. Banning drugs is pure laziness, rather than programs to show the real dangers of hard drugs (most of the school ones aren't very good at all).

I do think its important to outline that there are big big differences between hard and soft drugs. Basically, it comes down to people being responsible and finding their own personal limits, not taking away their right to choose and to find out for themselves.

not really' date=' it's only the fact that hard drugs are illegal and expensive, that makes them a problem, as people need to fund their addictions with crime...

I've always said, if heroin was available on the NHS, it'd be helpful in a few ways, you could educate people about the use of the terribly addictive stuff, you could make sure the environment was controlled, (clean, safe etc), and people wouldn't have to pay for it, so no need to steal people's stereos / ipods etc.

if the argument against it is "it'd promote drug use", it wouldn't, as I'd said, the place to take it, would have an education centre, to advise against taking it.

and, people already take it, so why would it be "more of an incentive" to take the shit ?

I just think people need to be more open and honest about the realities of life, be they good or bad.

.[/quote']

I can see your point although Heroin is pretty mental i.e. very addictive, can kill you (yes I know booze can do the same), destroys your health etc.

I can see how prescription drugs can help addicts which is what Tommy Sheridan tried but was attacked by the press. Funny, it works for the Swiss..

Think about it' date=' you ban something(religion) that billions of people believe in and feel very stongly about, that would cause severe problems. Banning religion would mark the beginning of the end.

It doesn't matter anyway, cos it's not going to happen.[/quote']

True, this just reminded me of a comment that someone made on another thread a while ago to the effect that if we just wiped out all religions there would be no wars. Cos trying to wipe out people's beliefs isn't going cause any conflict!

The cannabis trade alone is a multi billion pound a year enterprise ..No british government has the fucking savvy to know how to control such moneys

Emmm......yet Britain's total collective wealth is about 5 trillion. If you were gonig to argue this point you would be suggesting that there is no government able to handle any amount of money.

The tobacco industry is worth much more than cannabis because its a legalised and freely available substance, and they're able to make a shitload of tax from it (even if a lot is hypothecated). Why not legalise a substance to get it away from the gangs, that is much less harmful than tobacco, and can give the government more money for the health service, education etc?*

*it would have to be a pretty decent government to stop it being spent on Tridents and illegal wars, mind.