aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
FatHand

Vocoders

Really just a voice synth - it alters the out put of your voice via software or hardware - check out the 70s monster in Hog's post! Kraftwerk and Daft Punk are bands that use them heavily. I don't know much about how it works but like the effects you can create. There are other types of voice altering devices like talkbox - what Bon Jovi uses in living on a prayer. Reacts with the movements of you lips and mouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

They are also used by shite chart acts, who can't sing worth a fuck, to disguise their appalling lack of ability and older "stars" who's voices are shot (e.g Cher on "Believe")

DZL

They are also used by shite chart acts' date=' who can't sing worth a fuck, to disguise their appalling lack of ability and older "stars" who's voices are shot (e.g Cher on "Believe")

DZL[/quote']

Don't confuse Autotune with a vocoder...even though the producer of that track does!

Looking to buy a vocoder so would like to know if anyone has used/has one and could suggest a decent model.

Didn't say if you were in the market for a hardware (digital) vocoder, hardware (analog) vocoder, or a plug in vocoder.

What have you heard you're looking to emulate ?

They are also used by shite chart acts' date=' who can't sing worth a fuck, to disguise their appalling lack of ability and older "stars" who's voices are shot (e.g Cher on "Believe")[/quote']

Thats not a vocoder thats pitch correction your talking about. And the producer on that track used it creatively as an effect on certain passages of that song.

I think you'll find that most of the older "stars" still have a shitload of talent and are far less likely to need these devices than the fucking children in the charts of today.

Don't confuse Autotune with a vocoder...even though the producer of that track does!

I'll turn myself into the nearest police station immediately.

Thats not a vocoder thats pitch correction your talking about. And the producer on that track used it creatively as an effect on certain passages of that song.

I think you'll find that most of the older "stars" still have a shitload of talent and are far less likely to need these devices than the fucking children in the charts of today.

I'm committing hara-kiri right now.

Didn't say if you were in the market for a hardware (digital) vocoder' date=' hardware (analog) vocoder, or a plug in vocoder.

What have you heard you're looking to emulate ?[/quote']

Got some recordings of our stuff where we've used a software vocoder to create a sort of synth type residue noise behind the vocals and would like to be able to do something like that in a live performance. Basically I'm most likely looking for a hardware digital vocoder due to my lack of portable computer. I wouldn't mind something that I could put my synth through. Been looking about and getting some research done but still hard to know what is worth getting - what capabilities I really need and are worth having for more extravagant uses.

I suppose it does get a bit messey' date=' doesn't it? :( And that dam cillit-bang stuff costs a fortune![/quote']

I think you can use vinegar for blood stains.