aberdeen-music

Israeli bomb kills UN observers

Stripey

From news.bbc.co.uk

"Four United Nations peacekeepers have been killed in an Israeli air strike on an observation post in southern Lebanon, the UN has said.

A bomb struck the post occupied by the peacekeepers of the Unifil force in the Khiam area, it said.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said he was "shocked" at the "apparently deliberate targeting" of the post.

The attack came as Israel said it would control an area in southern Lebanon until international forces deployed."

Israel in the last few weeks have done nothing to justify their campaign as being in defence of their national interests and their reactions to kidnappings (of course they have a right to action and anger at these incidents) have been completely disproportionate across the board. That applies both to their actions in Gaza and their actions in Lebanon.

That pic of the Red cross says it all really... This UN story tonight is exactly where this campaign was headed.

Israel are arguably committing war crimes in this conflict as they blatantly breaking humanitarian law by intentionally targeting Lebanon's public infrastructure (roads, bridges etc.) as well as using cluster bombs in civilian areas. They really don't look like they give a damn to be honest. But hey, why should they worry? They certainly don't have to worry about the US or UK raising any objections to their actions.

How long will it take them to realise that all this milatary action is just going to increase the threat from Hezbollah, not decrease it. Fools.

How long will it take them to realise that all this milatary action is just going to increase the threat from Hezbollah' date=' not decrease it. Fools.[/quote']

Exactly, whether or not you feel that Israel is justified in what they are doing, the Israeli government must realise they are effectively giving Hezbollah etc... the best propaganda drive they could ever want.

a US arms airlift began running to Israel Saturday, July 22

July 25, 2006, 2:09 PM (GMT+02:00)

It is carrying fresh stock of bombs, missiles and spare parts for Israeli Air Force aircraft and helicopters. Giant Galaxy C141 transports have been landing, unloading and taking off at short intervals.

Meanwhile the americans are the only country not supporting a ceasefire. The whole situation makes me sick.

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has protested to the US about its use of a Scottish airport to transport bombs to Israel.

Amid the Lebanon crisis, Mrs Beckett said it seemed the US was not following the right procedures over arms flights.

She said she was "not happy" and she had talked directly to US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice about it.

The Lib Dems say reports of the bombs at Prestwick Airport suggest the US is taking the UK for granted.

This is simply appalling.

arent they giving aid to lebonan at the same time? and the aid is less than iraq

this is all fucked up

yeah its absurd.

THE fanfare marking yesterdays arrival of the first American aid to Lebanon was scorned by Esam Haider and 2' date='000 fellow refugees living in an underground car park after their homes were bombed by Israel.

Mr Haider, aware of recent reports that the US was accelerating the delivery of new missiles to Israel, was furious. Why does President Bush send billions of dollars of weapons to Israel and hands the Lebanese a few boxes of food and blankets? the 24-year-old chef asked.

Is he just trying to fatten us up before he gives Israel bigger bombs to kill us? he said as his nine-month old daughter slept on the concrete floor of the vast supermarket car park in Beiruts southern suburbs[/quote']

What can we do other than watch? I'm going to attempt to do my small part and work out if I can possibly boycott Israeli products and support Israeli human rights groups.

This is so screwed up now I don't know what to say...and I don't know whats worse; the israeli bombings of civilians in such an extreme manner or the fact many people consider this ok.

"The attack on UN peacekeepers was not deliberate"

10 phone calls by the peacekeepers to the guys who were firing at them made no difference, the bombs got closer and closer. What happens next? Israel then use a fighter with laser guided missiles o_O

Anyone notice Israeli officials were falling over themselves to explain this as not deliberate, an accident and something regretful. Had the target been (Arab) Lebanese civilians they wouldn't give a shit.

I think the BBC were interviewing some Israeli military commander and he was ranting on about Israeli civilians being killed, but when asked about the hundreds of dead Lebanese civilians being killed by Israel he totally changed the topic and started ranting about the fight against terrorism.

'World backs Lebanon offensive'

Israel says diplomats' decision not to call for a halt to its Lebanon offensive at a Middle East summit has given it the green light to continue.

"We received yesterday at the Rome conference permission from the world... to continue the operation," Justice Minister Haim Ramon said.

His comments came ahead of an Israeli cabinet meeting to decide whether to intensify the military offensive.

these are sick, sick people.

He added that Israel had given the civilians of southern Lebanon ample time to quit the area and therefore anyone still remaining there can be considered Hezbollah supporters.

"All those now in south Lebanon are terrorists who are related in some way to Hezbollah," Mr Ramon said.

At last! The Israeli Prime Minister confirmed my thoughts that the Israeli authorities are more concerned about saving their soldiers than the lives of civilians, taken from Stripey's BBC article above...

He said that in order to prevent casualties amongst Israeli soldiers battling Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon, villages should be flattened by the Israeli air force before ground troops move in.
why can't they just like....share there land?

Because to much shit was stirred when Israel was created against the wishes of those who lived on the land (and subsequently were removed) and it all went downhill from there. Anyway I'd not want to share any land with the insane israeli government and their military. Not that I speak for these people.