aberdeen-music

Speaker Cabs

britheguy

Over the years I've had a few cabs/combos etc. As usual I always think the newest purchase is what I been looking for. However, as is the usual case, I become disgruntled with my set-up. My latest bug bear is the sound I get from my cabs etc.

Ive found that I get the sound I really like while Im standing next to the cab, but whenever I go out front and on axis to the speaker cone, the sound I hear while standing next to the speaker goes awol, and is replaced by a harsh/weedy sound (but loud as hell). Im not the only person that thinks this, in fact it was the other band members that brought this to light during a practice session.

This has happened with Marshall 4x12, Marshall combos and Boogie combos.

I now have a VOX AC30 c/w blues, and it does not seem to be as bad.

Has anyone else came across this problem, and got an answer for it?

Guest Gasss

The shorter the wavelength of a soundwave, the more directly it is projected from a source. This leads to lower frequencies dispersing nicely around the room and higher ones firing straight out the middle of the amp. AKA "The Cone of Death".

Some people set the amp at their feet or to the side so they hear the nice warm frequencies and let the FOH/audience deal with the cone of death. They wonder why they get asked to turn down. This is sometimes why people say straight 4x12 cabs sound less trebly and more bassy than angled ones (they don't).

I found this solution highly effective with my 1x12 combo. I can now have the amp pointing at my ears without that horrible "icepick" sound - resulting in a lower yet clearer stage volume and a happier sound engineer!

Edit: Different amps will have different properties. Apparently the old checkered Marshall grillecloth acts a high frequency diffuser. The newer, black stuff is tonally neutral.

Guest Savant
Over the years I've had a few cabs/combos etc. As usual I always think the newest purchase is what I been looking for. However' date=' as is the usual case, I become disgruntled with my set-up. My latest bug bear is the sound I get from my cabs etc.

Ive found that I get the sound I really like while Im standing next to the cab, but whenever I go out front and on axis to the speaker cone, the sound I hear while standing next to the speaker goes awol, and is replaced by a harsh/weedy sound (but loud as hell). Im not the only person that thinks this, in fact it was the other band members that brought this to light during a practice session.

This has happened with Marshall 4x12, Marshall combos and Boogie combos.

I now have a VOX AC30 c/w blues, and it does not seem to be as bad.

Has anyone else came across this problem, and got an answer for it?[/quote']

I've had this thing happen too - often it sounds meaty as fuck when you're at the side of the cab and not so bassy in front. Try setting up your sound when you're kneeled down infront of the speakers - always works for me. I usually have treble at 0 - 1 and mid at about 5/6 and bass about 9, with presence turned down to about 2 or 3.

Guest Gasss
Most people use shorter and longer when talking about wavelengths' date=' I was confused for a minute and actually had to engage my brain to figure out what you meant.[/quote']

I stand corrected. Maybe I should have engaged my own brain :up:

I haven't installed beam blockers into a multi-speaker cab and don't know what would happen. For recording and live, I just make sure the mic is over an unblocked part of the speaker.

I also don't know if you can buy Weber stuff in the UK. I ordered a couple of beam blockers when I got an attenuator shipped over. They're not that expensive but mind you have to pay shipping and import tax!

Guest Gasss

As previously suggested by Craig Deadenstereo, you could also turn your cab around the wrong way to get kind of the same effect. I also saw some speaker cabs with the speakers facing the wrong way where you could install a sm57 inside the cab. I can't seem to find a link (at work unfortunately)

Guest Gasss
I'm gonna try it with gaffa tape tonight. Like he said' date=' SRV used to do it. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me[/quote']

I once saw someone's marshall 4x12 with gaffa tape applied in an "X" pattern, covering the centre of all the speakers. I think it might have been Alyssa's Wish at the Lemon Tree. (Graeme C's cab?)

Guest Gasss
I think it was actually three X's. Straight Edge or something...

The one I saw that time was definitely one X. maybe it was for cosmetic reasons.

P.S. It's Pob! POB! Pttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhh!

P.P.S Where's Pob?