aberdeen-music

Dicelines Gigs in Aberdeen

Dicelines

Hi there,

Dicelines is a promotions company based in Glasgow, but are branching out to places like Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Have a look at our website (www.dicelines.com) and see what bands we are putting on and have put on beforehand.

In the past, we have put on the like of Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, 65 Days Of static and Pitchshifter to name but a few! Our agenda is to continue helping bands reach the same level of success (well, almost!) through promoting bands in their early stages, hopefully helping them onto better things.

Is this of any interest to you? Then please dont hesitate to get in touch:

You can reach me via brian@dicelines.com

or send a demo to Dicelines Promotions

24a Argyle Court,

1103 Argyle street

Glasgow

G3 8ND

We hope to hear from you soon!!

Guest DustyDeviada

Emma Forman and I have done a couple of Dicelines gigs now, one in Glasgow and one at The Tunnels on Saturday with Stanley, and Dicelines have been great to deal with both times. :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
so its a case of "sell tickets for us or you dont get paid"

Fair enough I reckon, the more people you bring, the more you get paid. Also means that the bands who bring more people get a fairer share of the cash than if it's just split up between everyone.

We've played one gig like that and now simply won't play a "sell to get paid" gig ever again. For some bizarre reason all our band members have full-time jobs and their own lives so don't have the time to sell tickets.

Full time jobs to support your playing in the band? whatever next? :p

I'm more than happy to help out with postering and online promotion but selling tickets is gash. There's simply no excuse for it if the promoter does their job properly. It's also completely ridiculous to expect an out of town band to sell tickets imho.

I don't think you're alone in thinking that it's ridiculous for out of town bands to sell their own tickets. I don't think it's right or fair to even consider asking them - surely the point is that they're out of town and need every bit of help they can get?

And yes, I completely agree that getting bands to sell tickets in order for payment is utterly ridiculous. It's becoming more and more common here and it reeks of laziness - simply put, any promoter with a decent understanding of advertising and promotion shouldn't ever need to require ticket sales from bands in order to pay them.

I don't see anything wrong with asking bands if they'd like to sell a few tickets - but if they can't sell tickets, it shouldn't be held against them.

Good on KBK for refusing to play these types of scams/gigs.

Fair enough I reckon' date=' the more people you bring, the more you get paid. Also means that the bands who bring more people get a fairer share of the cash than if it's just split up between everyone.[/quote']

A band with not too many friends, or friends who aren't interested in going to gigs, plays a half hour set.

A band with a load of friends who like going to gigs, plays a half hour set.

Band A gets nothing, or very little. Band B gets a lot.

Fair? Not in the slightest.

It also almost guarantees that the gig will be a 'playing to your mates' type affair, which although fun, is a little pointless.

Or on the other hand if you are a good band and build up a decent following you will do better.

Whether you're a good band or not doesn't matter, thats entirely subjective and for the sake of this argument doesn't really come into play. The fact is each band would presumably be playing for the same amount of time, all (again, presumably) spending time and money practising beforehand, carrying/transporting equipment to and from the venue, etc, so why should they then have to sell tickets in order to stand a chance of making the slightest bit of money back?

Bands generally put in a lot of work for gigs, without having to then become salesmen for said gigs on top of that.

Guest DustyDeviada

I just genuinely don't care about how much money I get from gigs, I really don't do it for the money, I just like playing. For what it's worth I prefer not having to sell tickets and stuff, mainly because I usually sell very few tickets and then end up feeling embarassed.

But at the end of the day I just like to play. :up:

I agree with dusty deviada' date=' I like playing for the fun of it, anyway we tend to not get paid because we're younger and the venue/promoter comes up with some excuse every time. It's not a problem though, what is a pain is having to constantly be selling tickets for gigs etc. That's a pain.[/quote']

What venues have said that? Let me guess, Kef?

What venues have said that? Let me guess' date=' Kef?[/quote']

eh yes, surprisingly. We tried to get paid on 3 different occasions but didn't. It's not a problem at all to be honest, it's not as if i rely on the money as i'm still young but it'll be a problem in the future. Pay for gigs to us is more of a bonus than a normality. :down:

eh yes' date=' surprisingly. We tried to get paid on 3 different occasions but didn't. It's not a problem at all to be honest, it's not as if i rely on the money as i'm still young but it'll be a problem in the future. Pay for gigs to us is more of a bonus than a normality. :down:[/quote']

Doesnt matter how old you are the money you will get at gigs will usually get your petrol money and thats about it.

eh yes' date=' surprisingly. We tried to get paid on 3 different occasions but didn't. It's not a problem at all to be honest, it's not as if i rely on the money as i'm still young but it'll be a problem in the future. Pay for gigs to us is more of a bonus than a normality. :down:[/quote']

What kind of rubbish did they feed you? Kef are utterly notorious for not paying people despite promises to the contary - and sadly, because they don't write anything down in that respect, you can't force them to pay a penny.

Personally, if I was playing a Kef gig (like I ever would..), I wouldn't hand over a penny of the ticket money until I'd taken my agreed payment from it - that way, they can't fuck you over with payment as you've still got a fair bit of their money in your possession.

Best not to play there at all, though.

And by the way - please, please don't regard pay as a bonus rather than normality. If you do that, you're playing into the hands of greedy promoters who see local bands as a resource to be exploited rather than rewarded.

Bands generally put in a lot of work for gigs' date=' without having to then become salesmen for said gigs on top of that.[/quote']

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the promoter "sell" the gig rather than the band as such? It depends on the exact setup - but to only pay bands on the basis of ticket sales is nothing more than blatant profiteering.