aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

Bologne...

I'm jumping on the holiday advice bandwagon here. I'm heading to Bologne (sorta sandwiched between Venice and Florence) for 4 or 5 days in October. Any advice on what to see? Has anyone been there? What did you think? etc etc. :)

only had about an hour in bologne...seemed like a nice place though. if you are hostelling it make sure you book in advance as we couldnt get anywhere to stay there.

some cool stuff round about it though...stayed in a mental hostel which was a converted monastery (sp?) in a nice town called reggio emilia.

also parma is worth a trip for the market and the best cheese and ham sandwich you will ever make.

top tip is a place called padova in between bologne and venice...totally stunning town.

dont think verona is too far away either...if you go there get some tickets for the opera.

so aye...get some pasta bolognese. and eat lots of ham and cheese. mmm.

iain

I've already got my accomidation and flights sorted. I also get the strange feeling I'll be avoiding the football :p

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone else has any ideas.

Oh, and I do very much plan to eat some of the stunning food available. I've been to Italy before and I can honestly say it was simply the most delicious food I've eaten in my entire life :love:

i went over on holiday a few years ago to visit a mate & his italian girlfriend who live there. it's a pretty cool place with plenty of typically italian cultural attractions to check out, the tourist advice centre in the main square will sort you out with info. the surrounding hills and countryside are beautiful & worth checking out as well with some lovely rustic trattorias worth stopping at. the city is famous for it's old university so there are loads of students around & all that goes with a university town. it's not really a tourist magnet kinda place though so it would help a hell of a lot if you can speak/understand italian. the food & wine is wonderful and quite cheap so i'd recommend really going for it while you're there. it's also well situated for a day trip by train to venice, florence or the adriatic coast if you fancy it.

Indeed. Depends on how you spell it.

Ah well. I spent a short day in Bologna, so didn't see all that much although, but the city centre is lovely. When i was there there was a big screen in a big square where films where being shown and there was a great atmosphere. Erm i haven't been very helpful, have I? I believe it has some very expensive designer shops if that's your sort of thing.

Never been, but it is home to the first ever proper University in the world, also the brothers Carracci; Annibale, Agostino and Ludovico were born there and they practically invented Baroque Classicism. Sounds fun.