aberdeen-music

New Soul Band in town

FatHand

For those of you that have an interest in Aberdeen soul music, Souled Asylum recently split up due to differences in musical direction. This has allowed the majority of us to reformed under a different name with a different goal. (don't ask the name just yet as it has not been fully decided - by far the hardest task when starting a band!)

We have decided to downsize a lot on gear (understatement) and have fewer musicians so we can get back to a more raw and spontaneous sound - a bit more authentic and fun on stage. This also means that we can play smaller, more intimate gigs with a more diverse range of songs (possibly work in some original stuff - a bit further down the line). Only good things really. The fact that we have lost the use of an enormous PA worth a squiiiilion pounds does not phase us due to that fact that amazing soul music and bands have existed for a good while longer than such equipment became available!

Our new line up is still quite large but consists of:

5 brass (3 of whom switch between organ/piano/synth and harmonica)

4 singers (1 male and 3 female)

Bass

Guitar

Drums

I will put another post on this thread once we have decided on a name and then it is just a matter of coming along to watch!

Anybody wanting to hire a soul band please feel free to PM me, we will be ready (after an overhaul of songs) to gig in about October time.

:up:

Since I started booking gigs we really had to come up with a name quick so please welcome and come along to enjoy the newest and funkiest 12 piece band in Aberdeen:

Soul Funkin Hot

First confirmed gig is:

Saturday 25th November @ The Tunnels followed by Good Foot Club. I think entry will be 5 which includes entry to the club night after - Soul, Funk and Disco!

It is going to be awsome night.

Hope to see you all there.

• 4 months later...

Its a blast! Its amazing how much like the commitments playing in a band with so many people is like. A lot of tastes to take care of. Its a lot of fun doing the arrangements of songs, I think its important not to carbon copy songs. It makes for a much fresher and diverse sound and allows to account for different influences in people's playing.

You fancy taking a trip up to Aberdeen to watch? Are you in Dundee or Edinburgh?

• 2 weeks later...

The web site is fully operational now so check it out, see what we look like and find out how ace we think we are ;):laughing:

Joking aside Lisa, one of our amazing singers, has made an excellent job of it. Good work Lisa!

Enjoy and rembemer to come down to the Tunnels on 15th December - an ideal venue if you are on a work night out or just out for a good time (cheeze).

Ellon is a great place to play, everyone is really up for dancing and having a good time. It is, however, a different band. The quality is still the same (if not better) but the songs are different and have a bit more groove behind them.

Our rhythm section is top notch - new bass player is excellent.

Any suggestion about what would make for good additions to the website? We don't have any recordings yet so that is one thing on the to do list.