aberdeen-music

Scotland in under 19 European Championships

RossP

Well it kicks off today, at the moment i am watching Spain v. Turkey on Eurosport. Great game so far 3-1 to Spain and its not even half time. Some brilliant players on show, bags of pace and skill.

The Scotland v. Portugal game isn't on Eurosport today, but Scotland v. Spain is on at 5pm Thurs on Eurosport.

According to live scores on the website

http://www.marca.betradar.com/dev/livescore/marca/flash.php

Scotland are 2-0 up on Portugal!! Get in!!

Another wee bonus is: If they finish 3rd out of the four we go to the world under 20s next year. It's a showcase for the best young players in the world and a chance to prove ourselves

Scotland surged into the semi-finals of the UEFA European Under-19 Championship, withstanding yet another rousing fightback from Turkey to prevail 3-2 in Swarzedz and claim second place in Group B.

Nerve-shredding win

Tommy Wilson’s side began the day bottom of the section with one point, but an first-half own goal from İlhan Parlak – the sixth time the Turkish striker has found the net at these finals, albeit not in the manner he would have chosen – gave them the upper hand and further strikes from Michael McGlinchey and Steven Fletcher seemed to have settled the contest. Cafercan Aksu's quickfire double brought Turkey back into contention with 15 minutes left to play, but the Scots held their nerve in a tense finale and progress by virtue of Portugal's 1-1 draw with section winners Spain in today’s other fixture.

Own goal

Scotland made the more positive start, Fletcher twice missing the target when well-placed although Cem Pamiroğlu's side gradually worked their way into the match with Arda Turan a particular threat down the left and Parlak a menacing presence up front. The latter might have added to his five finals goals when Turan's clever play left him with only Andrew McNeil to beat, but the goalkeeper was quickly off his line to block. Instead it was Scotland who snatched the initiative four minutes before half-time as Ryan Conroy floated in a deep right-wing free-kick and under pressure at the far post, Parlak inadvertently nodded into his own net.

Scots on top

Turkey had never held the lead in their first two matches either and they fell further behind in the 47th minute. Lee Wallace's perceptive pass freed Conroy down the left and the Celtic FC midfielder's perfect cross was brilliantly flicked beyond Volkan Babacan by club-mate McGlinchey. Turkey had mounted sterling comebacks against both Spain and Portugal but the Scots seemed to have wrapped up the win four minutes past the hour as their own prolific forward Fletcher showed good strength to retain possession before drilling a left-foot shot past Babacan.

Aksu double

Turkey quickly reduced the deficit as Aksu's right-wing free-kick found the top corner of the net and Scottish nerves were further frayed as Aksu pulled the score back to 3-2 by sending McNeil the wrong way from the penalty spot. Mevlüt Erding then struck the post, but Scotland retained their composure and will now play the Group A winners in Wednesday's semi-final. Turkey, despite their three games yielding an incredible 21 goals, finish bottom of the section and miss out on even a place in next year’s FIFA U-20 World Cup

Ach, i see nobody here cares about our youth team becoming one of the top four nations in europe for their age!!!

Well if you have a change of heart, the semi final v. Czech Republic is on today at 5.30pm on Eurosport. Czech's are a good side, but ultra defensive. Whoever scores first will win.

I would've thought the dons fans would be wanting a win here, since it would keep Fletcher, who can't stop scoring, in Europe whilst Hibs are playing aberdeen.

Eurosports not available on freeview, you can get it if you pay for the freeview extra option, but that's pretty much pointless for whta you get. There's been pretty much no media coverage either, until the other day after they had made it to the semi finals.

It would be cool to see Scotland win, but I'd miss it anyway as I'm working later.

Guest DustyDeviada
Ach' date=' i see nobody here cares about our youth team becoming one of the top four nations in europe for their age!!!

Well if you have a change of heart, the semi final v. Czech Republic is on today at 5.30pm on Eurosport. Czech's are a good side, but ultra defensive. Whoever scores first will win.

I would've thought the dons fans would be wanting a win here, since it would keep Fletcher, who can't stop scoring, in Europe whilst Hibs are playing aberdeen.[/quote']

Might watch it tonight, although didn't we win this twenty years ago or something and it did nothing to halt Scotland's slide into mediocrity?

Out of that squad 20 years ago came Paul Dickov, Any Mclaren, Brian O'Neill.

The youth set up in scotland now is much better supported than 5-10years ago, so you should see some of these players go onto bigger and better things; especially the likes of Elliot from Hearts and Fletcher from Hibs, who both did brilliantly last season for their clubs, and will have a big impact this season too.

Guest DustyDeviada
Out of that squad 20 years ago came Paul Dickov' date=' Any Mclaren, Brian O'Neill.

[/quote']

Well having seen Brian O'Neill during his brief sojurn at Pittodrie I can't say I'm particularly impressed, Andy McLaren=Junkie and Dickov, while having proved himself to be a highly professional journeyman capable of bringing something to squads in the lower regions of the Premiership, has hardly proved to be the answer to Scotland's prayers.

I wasn't using these players as a shining example of the product of that team 20years ago, just stating which players went on to have a "successful" career in football.

Can't we just focus on the magnificent achievement of these young lads, and whatever happens with them in 5-10years, happens.

Hearts 3 - Bosnians 0

Shitty game, but given I had us down for a 3-1 win, I'll not complain. Assuming we get past Strokey Beerkeg in this round, we'll be up against one of the following in the next (draw tomorrow):

AC Milan Ita 129.020

Liverpool Eng 105.950

Arsenal Eng 101.950

Valencia Esp 95.006

Ajax Ned 60.640

Lille OSC Fra 54.757

Benfica Por 51.533

Steaua Bucuresti ** Rom 46.381 (won 2-0 last night)

CSKA Moscow Rus 42.504

AEK Athens Gre 39.587

Dinamo Kiev ** Ukr 36.777 (won 4-1 last night)

Levski Sofia ** Bul 35.016 (won 2-0 last night)

Shakhtar Donetsk Ukr 33.777

Galatasaray Tur 33.634

Hamburger SV Ger 30.960

Slovan Liberec Cze 28.769

We're screwed.