aberdeen-music

where is the logic?

Aileen

Guest lime ruined my life
. Our society needs more unity' date=' music is something which can facilitate that[/quote']

thats some pretty fucking extreme political ideals you have there stripey.

I am guessing teh chap throwing out cds isn't really a big fan of music, and into more buying the flavour of the month album and chart singles, which get listened to then forgotten about as the next big band comes along, how many of the people who bought a Limp Bizkit or whoever cd when they were cool still listen to it often? In some ways I can understand where he is coming from, but it is still a bit alien to me

There is also the idea of moving forwards all the time, instead of sticking to a few bands he likes, he is forcing himself to find lots of new music to replace what he has just lost, so even if he buys lots of nice new cds, he won't still listen to the same couple of albums half the time

Personally I am keeping all the cds I own, admittedly there are many I don't listen to that often, as my tastes have changed over time, but there are always the days I feel the need to listen to x band I haven't heard in ages. I guess it would make sense every so often to look through them all and get rid of everything I don't listen to, I guess I just like the fact I own a couple of shelves full of cds, in a way a collection like someone collects stamps (just cooler, obviously ;))

I Have a friend who thinks I have/buy far too many cds, and I only have just under 200... which is nothing compared to many out there...

As for friends and musical tastes, I like my friends for who they are first, music tastes are just an icing on the cake, I have close friends not really into music that much and if thats what they like, fine by me, they are still incredible people, I have other friends just (if not more) into music as me and thats cool too

One thing I really like is knowing people who like different genres and styles of music, as it gives me the oppertunity to find out about different bands and music and expand my tastes through what they like and recommend, I have found many cool bands this way who I probably wouldn't have looked near in one up if a friend hadn't told me about them and let me listen to them...

So yes, peoples tastes in music and so on do affect how you consider them and what you talk about, but isn't a factor in whether I would consider them friends or not.

David

Basically an adult with more than 50 cd's that aren't chart toppers such as "Employment by Kaiser Chiefs" that every bastard and his wife have or anything by James Blunt or you'd expect a 16 year old year with no taste to own (Alanis Morissette etc etc). I also would exclude dance compilations and anything from the "Now" range.

Shite!!!!!

I get music for free off t internet and chums give me CDs DVds and vids and send stuff online - usually to learn, and that takes up loads of time listening to new stuff virtually every day, but seeing live acts is where it's all at . I would rather go to gigs than amass big piles of jewel cases and spend forever trying to put them in some sort of order.

Well' date=' i'm just saying that's one of the factors that I'd find interesting in a person (basically they aren't into spoon fed music) I wouldn't not speak to someone on the basis that they didn't like music. People are into art in numrous ways... film, photography etc etc. I use the CD's as a ballpark general statement... obv people access music in a huge variety of ways.

It's merely is an example that someone is perhaps into music. This is only my personal perspective... and as I said before I'd never expect someone to like the same pap that I like. The reason I say that I'd exclude "Now" cd's and hyper chart hips is that they don't tend to indicate what someone is into in a general sense if they are a big music fan.

Like I said before, it's merely a brownie points thing in the same way I'm always keen to talk to someone who likes Transformers or perhaps Escher.

You can't call it shite, I did state it was my personal perspective on things I'd initially find interesting in people and I did state before... I wouldn't write someone off just because of it.[/quote']

Meant to read as 'OH SHITE!!! I better re-think my cd's...' I did edit it last night, or at least

dreamt I did.

Nice to see a well thought through point for a change though, even if it wasn't required hehehehe

Did ye honestly think I would be that blunt o_O

I also agree

:up::kiss:

Basically an adult with more than 50 cd's that aren't chart toppers such as "Employment by Kaiser Chiefs" that every bastard and his wife have or anything by James Blunt or you'd expect a 16 year old year with no taste to own (Alanis Morissette etc etc). I also would exclude dance compilations and anything from the "Now" range.

What's wrong with Alanis Morissette ?( ? Do you really put her in the same category as dance compilations and the "Now" range?! I find that rather harsh.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of discrimination with regards to musical tastes - it's such a personal thing that it really can be quite indicitive of a person's personality, and it's quite an important factor if music is a big part of your life. Although I wouldn't dream of stopping being friends with someone just because I found out they liked Dirty Pretty Things, I can tell from experience that if someone is into bands that I absolutely detest, I'm hardly going to be spending hours discussing music with them. If I tried, I'd probably end up being rather insulting since it's something I have strong views about, so it's best to keep my mouth closed in such situations, especially if the other person's life revolves around (shit) music.

Fool: "What do you think of The Automatic then? I love them."

Me: "Anyone who likes them should die because they're quite clearly a cunt. No offence, like."

Fool: "Oh. Erm... Nice day, isn't it?"

I get along best with people who have similar music taste, so it stands to reason that I'm going to shun someone I don't yet know who likes music that I consider to be appalling.

Actually, my best mate John hates just about every band I like, so all of the above is possibly bollocks. Or it only applies to people who are really into their music. And it's all similarly true/false about peope's tastes in films and comedy. But now I'm just describing common interests really.