aberdeen-music

where is the logic?

Aileen

my friend at work told me yesterday that her boyfriend throws out all his cds every six months so that he has an entirely fresh cd collection!

this disturbed me somewhat. I can't think of anything worse!!!!

what does everyone else think? is there any logic to throwing out cds??

i don't understand why he doesn't just put them away in a box if he wants to listen to new ones. at least then somewhere down the line he'll have a nice big cd collection and he'll get to listen to stuff he hasn't heard in AGES!

it just seems like such a waste! why oh why would you want to throw away music?

the worst thing about it is, there is one cd he has never thrown out, but kept the whole time......the dirty dancing soundtrack!!!!!! i think my friend has reason to be concerned....

I am willing to pass off the odd poor album if the person owns say' date=' a sonic youth record. But if they own a Creed album for example, they do down alot in my estimations. Though this really only relates to whether or not I will speak to them about music, or ask their opinions on music.[/quote']

Asking about someones taste in music is as dull and pointless as asking which brand of toilet paper they prefer. It says nothing about them as a person in the wider context, and leads to pointless divisive arguments.

The reason I dislike huge swathes of people, you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner. Our society needs more unity, music is something which can facilitate that, but sadly this won't happen as long as cocksuckers like you are around.

The reason I dislike huge swathes of people' date=' you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner. Our society needs more unity, music is something which can facilitate that, but sadly this won't happen as long as cocksuckers like you are around.[/quote']

I can't believe you don't see the irony in that whole post...

Guest bluesxman
The reason I dislike huge swathes of people' date=' you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they [b']use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner.

But that's what you do. Continually.

Couldn't the guy atleast take the cd's in to oxfam or something? o_O

my friend at work told me yesterday that her boyfriend throws out all his cds every six months so that he has an entirely fresh cd collection!

this disturbed me somewhat. I can't think of anything worse!!!!

what does everyone else think? is there any logic to throwing out cds??

i don't understand why he doesn't just put them away in a box if he wants to listen to new ones. at least then somewhere down the line he'll have a nice big cd collection and he'll get to listen to stuff he hasn't heard in AGES!

it just seems like such a waste! why oh why would you want to throw away music?

the worst thing about it is' date=' there is one cd he has never thrown out, but kept the whole time......the dirty dancing soundtrack!!!!!! i think my friend has reason to be concerned....[/quote']

Wow' date=' music snobbery...people should be able to like whatever music they want to without have people going "Oh you go down in my estimations if you like that".[/quote']

My thoughts exactly.

People that judge others on thier taste in music need to have a look at themselves.

My thoughts exactly.

People that judge others on thier taste in music need to have a look at themselves.

But isn't musical taste quite a personal thing? Maybe certain people shouldn't be judged on their music taste if they don't hold a particular interest' date=' but I'd be quite happy to have my tastes in [b']everything - including music - taken into account if someone wanted to befriend me. Otherwise we just wouldn't have much to talk about .

Another classic Stripey post too. What a magic thread. :gringo:

ho ho' date=' that's what I thought too....

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37050&page=2

check it!

Yes well, my problem is with "music as entertainment product" and those who consume such products without being aware of what they are. People that are blinkered to real and diverse music because they have grown up in an age when sales and productivity are everything, and the resulting stylistic homogeneity and bunk artistic concepts that dominate the cultural landscape constitute their sole understanding of the artform.

THIS is what I dislike, I am not dissing these people for their taste in music, because they have not yet developed any taste in music, therefore you cannot call me a hypocrite.

Guest bluesxman
Yes well' date=' my problem is with "music as entertainment [i']product" and those who consume such products without being aware of what they are. People that are blinkered to real and diverse music because they have grown up in an age when sales and productivity are everything, and the resulting stylistic homogeneity and bunk artistic concepts that dominate the cultural landscape constitute their sole understanding of the artform.

THIS is what I dislike, I am not dissing these people for their taste in music, because they have not yet developed any taste in music, therefore you cannot call me a hypocrite.

The above statement to me is talking about people who simply buy whatever is thrust upon them by radio etc. To me those are the type of people who only buy the CD's at the Asda checkout because that song off the radio is on it. Repeat occurences form their CD 'collection'. I can't see those people buying much from the Mercury prize list. Possibly Arctic Monkeys and Editors.

Earlier you stated "The reason I dislike huge swathes of people, you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner." I don't think the above people really fit into that statement, your argument seems to be wildly divergent.