aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Aileen

where is the logic?

my friend at work told me yesterday that her boyfriend throws out all his cds every six months so that he has an entirely fresh cd collection!

this disturbed me somewhat. I can't think of anything worse!!!!

what does everyone else think? is there any logic to throwing out cds??

i don't understand why he doesn't just put them away in a box if he wants to listen to new ones. at least then somewhere down the line he'll have a nice big cd collection and he'll get to listen to stuff he hasn't heard in AGES!

it just seems like such a waste! why oh why would you want to throw away music?

the worst thing about it is, there is one cd he has never thrown out, but kept the whole time......the dirty dancing soundtrack!!!!!! i think my friend has reason to be concerned....

He's obv one of these people who only listens to, "cool" bands and to him bands probably expire after 6 months. He's clearly an idiot regardless imho.*

I throw out cd's from time to time... but it's not ever a huge amount, it's basically cd's that are too scratched to play (thus useless), free with magazine cd's (which are filled with shite I don't like) or just completely dire pap that I know I never want to hear again.

I don't get his actions personally. Does throwning out all your cd's not make it basically impossible to be a huge fan of one or a few bands for a prolonged period of time (unless you re-purchase their cd's after having just thrown them out).

*I'm basing my assumption on his actions... naturally I may be wrong but I suspect I'm maybe not.

Basically an adult with more than 50 cd's that aren't chart toppers such as "Employment by Kaiser Chiefs" that every bastard and his wife have or anything by James Blunt or you'd expect a 16 year old year with no taste to own (Alanis Morissette etc etc). I also would exclude dance compilations and anything from the "Now" range.

All my close friends pass this test (i think).

I wouldn't say I wouldn't trust anyone without a decent cd collection - that's a bit harsh - but it certainly helps in my brownie point scale.

If he is a 'flavour of the week' kinda folkie, his cds were probably shit anyway...

Poor show all the same. More money than sense maybe? :gringo:

I actually agree with you on the whole "brownie points test"' date=' sadly most of my friends probably fail...[/quote']

Oh yes, I have a relatively easy brownie point scale.

Generally... if you like good music, horror films and love the tranformers you are ace in my eyes.

I agree with the above though. More money than sense.

I am willing to pass off the odd poor album if the person owns say, a sonic youth record. But if they own a Creed album for example, they do down alot in my estimations. Though this really only relates to whether or not I will speak to them about music, or ask their opinions on music.

I think it's fair to have a few guilty pleasure cds. What sort of record collection wouldn't have a few embarassing albums in its midst?

Wow, music snobbery...people should be able to like whatever music they want to without have people going "Oh you go down in my estimations if you like that".

Unless of course they are a ned and and it's that unbearable dance shite.

I think it's fair to have a few guilty pleasure cds. What sort of record collection wouldn't have a few embarassing albums in its midst?

Agreed.

*glares over at own pile of Nsync and Girls Aloud albums*

I don't really have to agree with someone musically... I just tend to like to know that the person is into music in a way where they perhaps like some bands that aren't spoon fed to them. I would never expect someone to like exactly the same pap I like :p

I am willing to pass off the odd poor album if the person owns say' date=' a sonic youth record. But if they own a Creed album for example, they do down alot in my estimations. Though this really only relates to whether or not I will speak to them about music, or ask their opinions on music.[/quote']

Asking about someones taste in music is as dull and pointless as asking which brand of toilet paper they prefer. It says nothing about them as a person in the wider context, and leads to pointless divisive arguments.

The reason I dislike huge swathes of people, you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner. Our society needs more unity, music is something which can facilitate that, but sadly this won't happen as long as cocksuckers like you are around.

The reason I dislike huge swathes of people' date=' you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner. Our society needs more unity, music is something which can facilitate that, but sadly this won't happen as long as cocksuckers like you are around.[/quote']

I can't believe you don't see the irony in that whole post...

I don't' date=' can you expand on that?[/quote']

The reason I dislike huge swathes of people' date=' you included...

[b']Our society needs more unity...

cocksuckers like you...

:p

I was speaking on a purely musical context. I know I'm a music snob, but that's the way it is. If someone has awful taste in music, I won't speak to them about music. Nice to be called a cocksucker though, great stuff!

Guest bluesxman
The reason I dislike huge swathes of people' date=' you included, is not because of the music they listen to, but the way they [b']use music as an excuse for bigotry and a tool to seperate themselves from other people in a completely arrogant manner.

But that's what you do. Continually.

Guest MKII

Couldn't the guy atleast take the cd's in to oxfam or something? o_O

my friend at work told me yesterday that her boyfriend throws out all his cds every six months so that he has an entirely fresh cd collection!

this disturbed me somewhat. I can't think of anything worse!!!!

what does everyone else think? is there any logic to throwing out cds??

i don't understand why he doesn't just put them away in a box if he wants to listen to new ones. at least then somewhere down the line he'll have a nice big cd collection and he'll get to listen to stuff he hasn't heard in AGES!

it just seems like such a waste! why oh why would you want to throw away music?

the worst thing about it is' date=' there is one cd he has never thrown out, but kept the whole time......the dirty dancing soundtrack!!!!!! i think my friend has reason to be concerned....[/quote']

Wow' date=' music snobbery...people should be able to like whatever music they want to without have people going "Oh you go down in my estimations if you like that".[/quote']

My thoughts exactly.

People that judge others on thier taste in music need to have a look at themselves.

Couldn't the guy atleast take the cd's in to oxfam or something? o_O

Apparently not....would be the generous thing to do....

My thoughts exactly.

People that judge others on thier taste in music need to have a look at themselves.

But isn't musical taste quite a personal thing? Maybe certain people shouldn't be judged on their music taste if they don't hold a particular interest' date=' but I'd be quite happy to have my tastes in [b']everything - including music - taken into account if someone wanted to befriend me. Otherwise we just wouldn't have much to talk about .

Another classic Stripey post too. What a magic thread. :gringo: