aberdeen-music

Mercury Music Award 2006 Nominees

french_disko

But I do agree with you about the marketing thing' date=' rarely do the Mercury panel ever pick the album that I ([b']or the general publicit seems) rate as the best British album of the best 6 months

fit? if that is the case, the arctic monkies will sweep it! (sadly)...

I think it's a fair spectrum, but obviously missing some of what I'd consider amazing british music. (Jamie Lidell, Jehst, Mathew Herbert .... etc)

Lou(ise) Rhodes is the vocalist from Lamb - I believe the album is a bit "folktronica" (bad genre name...)

I bought it, and it's "nice"...something I'd put on when my mum and dad come round for tea!...no where near as good as lamb's first lp (nothing like it, obviously).

The Eraser is a grower, I wasn't too sure of it to start with, but the more it crops up on random, I seem to hear more in it...

no' date=' it's music for people who haven't quite tipped into "complete musical snob" yet.

dry your eyes you whinging twat and go wank on a wire.[/quote']

Charming. I prefer the term connoisseur myself.

"...the artists selected for the shortlist have in the past been prevailingly from major record labels, which has irked many independent record label owners and artists. The exclusion of independent artistes has purportedly been on the grounds of lack of sales, however the same might be said of many of the major label artists who have made the shortlist. A notorious example of this was Helicopter Girl, whose 2000 album How To Steal The World reportedly sold fewer than 1,000 copies."

Guest bluesxman
A notorious example of this was Helicopter Girl' date=' whose 2000 album How To Steal The World reportedly sold fewer than 1,000 copies."[/quote']

I recently sold my copy of that on Amazon cos it's crap, originally bought it second hand after hearing good things. Which were misleading.

The nominations confuse me, how can albums by Thom Yorke and Muse which are only just out have had time to sink in quality wise as much as the ones released ages ago? I mean I like both those albums but the selection criteria puzzles me..... ?(

Charming. I prefer the term connoisseur myself.

"...the artists selected for the shortlist have in the past been prevailingly from major record labels' date=' which has irked many independent record label owners and artists. The exclusion of independent artistes has purportedly been on the grounds of lack of sales[/quote']

I assume you're aware that at least five of the artists on the list are on indie labels, infact Lou Rhodes released her album on her own label.

I've only heard the thom yorke album from the shortlist. I bought Hot Chip a couple of days ago but haven't got round to listening to it yet.

I really like the eraser and I like it more and more with each listen. I think it's a bit misleading to compare it to Kid A as it is really quite different.

I find it quite funny that people stil lsay that Radiohead ditched the guitars when they made Kid A, there's guitar on most of the tracks on Kid A and Amnesiac.

Yeah' date=' i thought so. It seemed to be very chilled. I'd need to give it a few more repeat listens to exactly how good it is, but at worst it is good :p[/quote']

I've still not heard any of it. Guess I should then. Personally I love 'Kid A'. It's not exactly easy listening but "Everything In Its Right Place" and "Idioteque" especially are ace:love:

Arctic Monkeys - 'Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not'

Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - 'Ballad Of The Broken Seas'

Editors - 'In The Back Room'

Guillemots - 'Through The Windowpane'

Richard Hawley - 'Coles Corner'

Hot Chip - 'The Warning'

Muse - 'Black Holes & Revelations'

Zoe Rahman - 'Melting Pot'

Lou Rhodes - 'Beloved One'

Scritti Politti - 'White Bread Black Beer'

Sway - 'This Is My Demo'

Thom Yorke - 'The Eraser'