aberdeen-music

Auto Da Fe + Mickel Mass + Welfare Mothers - Wed 2nd Aug 06

interesting music are delighted to announce our 1st offering for the 2nd half of 2006

Wed 2nd August

The Tunnels, Aberdeen,

Doors 8pm

Entry 5

featuring

Auto Da Fe

Mickel Mass

Welfare Mothers

Auto Da Fe

California's fantastic freak-drone-pop ensemble, AUTO DA FE are playing their their first-ever non-USA shows. Auto Da Fe was formed in 2000 in Pomona, CA by Martin Kvisvic

(Amps For Christ) and Tara Tavi (Amps For Christ, Soddamn Inssein, Aye Aye Captain [with Dame Darcy], Blue Silk Sutures and ThunderSnail). Pan-global instrumentation includes yang qin, guzheng, tambur, bouzouki, tablas, wood marimba, balalaika, handmade electric zithers, Gothic harp, Chinese banjo, Tibetan temple cymbals and bells as well as traditional guitar, bass, trumpet, and drums. Debut album "The Spectre" spans a wide range of sounds from trad-flavored freak-folk to Middle Eastern raga to 80's gothic minimalist rock and is released on SECRET EYE RECORDS, the folks who organized the Terrastock. Imagine Joy Division and The Pentangle playing a bunch of weirdo instruments from the Smithsonian basement - topped off with Tara's lovely vocals! Fans of Amps For Christ will revel in its unique beauty.

http://profile.myspace.com/autodf

http://www.secreteye.org/se/autodafe.html

Mickel Mass

Mickel Mass are a loose collective of musicians from, centred round Mike Napier and Andy Da Kipp. All shows are improvised, and experiment with found sounds, electronica, smatterings of folk, jazz and occasionally humour.They have often headlined locally, and have played as part of Damo Suzuki's Network, and supporting Faust. They are actively seeking someone to release the album they recorded in January for a label which died in March! Sounds like Peasmeal brose dripping onto a theremin, deep in a seaside cave.

www.myspace.com/mickelmass

Welfare Mothers

Featuring the combined country/surf talents of Kevin Allan (sings, plays guitar) and John Hekert (lead/slide guitar).

www.myspace.com/welfaremothers

• 2 weeks later...
its true to say that this has now become Mickel Mass's official warm -up gig

before they play FAUST avant garde festival in Germaniland in September.

its true to say that Mickel Mass will be playing on stage WITH Faust

thought as this is fast approaching I would repeat the message above

its true to say that this has now become Mickel Mass's official warm -up gig

before they play FAUST avant garde festival in Germaniland in September.

its true to say that Mickel Mass will be playing on stage WITH Faust

But not the first time Faust have played with Mickel Mass. Jean-Herve told me that he was playing along backstage when Mickel Mass supported Faust last year.:up:

Guest bluesxman

Fit time is first band on aboot?

Are Mickelmass likely to be playing acousticy improvised set a la Damo Suzuki gig before he came on stage or droney ambient type set as displayed at Snafu a few months back? ?(

8.30 ish
Are Mickelmass likely to be playing acousticy improvised set a la Damo Suzuki gig before he came on stage or droney ambient type set as displayed at Snafu a few months back? ?(
Who can tell, that is the beauty of improvised music. Come along and see.

Listen up peeps

Auto de fe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Auto-da-fe)

Jump to: navigation, search

Representation of an Auto de fe, (1475).

The painting is inaccurate: even though burning at the stake occurred in some cases, it never took place during this religious ritual.The phrase auto de fe refers to the ritual of public penance of condemned heretics and apostates that took place when the Spanish Inquisition or the Portuguese Inquisition had decided their punishment (that is, after the trial). Auto de fe in medieval Spanish means "act of faith". The phrase also commonly occurs in English in its Portuguese form auto da fe (or auto da f).

The auto de fe involved: a Catholic mass, prayer, a public procession of those found guilty, and a reading of their sentences (Peters 1988: 93-94). They took place in public squares or esplanades and lasted several hours: ecclesiastical and civil authorities attended.[citation needed] Artistic representations of the auto de fe usually depict torture and the burning at the stake. However, this type of activity never took place during an auto de fe, which was in essence a religious act. Torture was not administered after a trial concluded, and executions were always held after and separate from the auto de fe (Kamen 1997: 192-213).

The first auto de fe took place in Seville, Spain, in 1481, six of the men and women that participated in this first religious ritual were later executed. The Inquisition enjoyed limited power in Portugal, having been established in 1536 and officially lasting until 1821, although its influence was much weakened with the government of the Marquis of Pombal, in the second half of the 18th century. Autos de fe also took place in Mexico, Brazil and Peru: contemporary historians of the Conquistadors such as Bernal Daz del Castillo record them. They also occurred in the Portuguese colony of Goa, India, following the establishment of Inquisition there in 1562-1563.

Sounds 'interesting' don't you think?

i asked cello boy about this & he told me like all the best improvisors they have an outline idea of what they will play & improvise & develop around the idea. Their set before Damo Sazuki joined them was far more interesting & inventive & excellent. I look forward to seeing them again, especially with an Amps for Christ offshoot.

Nice one

i asked cello boy about this & he told me like all the best improvisors they have an outline idea of what they will play & improvise & develop around the idea. Their set before Damo Sazuki joined them was far more interesting & inventive & excellent. I look forward to seeing them again' date=' especially with an Amps for Christ offshoot.

Nice one[/quote']

he he, cello boy is called Duncan beard, he he

Guest bluesxman
Their set before Damo Sazuki joined them was far more interesting & inventive & excellent.

That's why I was asking, I agree that set was very good. The one at Snafu was OK to start with but got a bit boring after a while, not enough variation on the theme.

i asked cello boy about this & he told me like all the best improvisors they have an outline idea of what they will play & improvise & develop around the idea. Their set before Damo Sazuki joined them was far more interesting & inventive & excellent. I look forward to seeing them again' date=' especially with an Amps for Christ offshoot.

Nice one[/quote']

The best improvisors start out with NO pre-set outlines or ideas. ;)

I advise everyone into improvising to have a read of the late Derek Bailey's excellent book on improvisation. 8)

The best improvisors start out with NO pre-set outlines or ideas. ;)

I advise everyone into improvising to have a read of the late Derek Bailey's excellent book on improvisation. 8)

Thats probably what Mickel Mass will do when on stage with FAUST,

however tonight they wil be...............................

come along & see

Thats probably what Mickel Mass will do when on stage with FAUST' date='

however tonight they wil be...............................

come along & see[/quote']

I cant, will be making noises elsewhere. :p