aberdeen-music

John Martyn - Where to start?

Last night I watched a rather good documentary on John Martyn that was shown on BBC Four, and I quite liked most of the music (the jazzier stuff upset me quite alot) and I was wondering where would be the best place to start in his rather large back catalogue? I've always read that "solid air" is one of those classic albums...

I hate Solid Air, much prefer the albums which come before it, especially his first three!

I suggest Stormbringer, importantly it has no jazz, but it has various great players of the time like Harvey Brooks on bass, Levon Helm on drums etc. Plus, you get the lovely singing of his then wife Beverley as well!

Make sure you buy the recent reissue with bonus tracks etc, the older Island Masters cd's are kinda muffled.

I hate Solid Air' date=' much prefer the albums which come before it, especially his first three!

I suggest[b'] Stormbringer, importantly it has no jazz, but it has various great players of the time like Harvey Brooks on bass, Levon Helm on drums etc. Plus, you get the lovely singing of his then wife Beverley as well!

Make sure you buy the recent reissue with bonus tracks etc, the older Island Masters cd's are kinda muffled.

No that stuff was floating my boat when I heard snippets on the documentary, plus an absence of jazz is a very good thing. As is the presence of Levon Helm...

Cheers for the info!

No that stuff was floating my boat when I heard snippets on the documentary' date=' plus an absence of jazz is a very good thing. As is the presence of Levon Helm...

Cheers for the info![/quote']

This anti jazz thinking is bad! :nono:

• 4 months later...