aberdeen-music

August 6th: Mike Park (Skankin Pickle, Chinkees), Upstarts, 5FD, 15 Minutes etc

From punkbands.com on his latest album North Kangook Falling"

"He is a pioneer of truth and activism. He is an icon. He is modesty. He is the kind of talent that speaks in whispers. He is a glimmer of hope for music and for peace. He is a musician and he is Asian Man Records and Plea For Peace. He is an artist and a humanitarian. He lives his life in a way that would make most of us crumble in humility. He is Mike Park. It is an honor to be reviewing his record.

"Hangook" means "the country of Korea." Park, being of Korean descent, uses his music to explore his heritage its importance while touching upon various other subjects of equal magnitude. Mainly, his songs are about truth. His lyrics are simple yet profound and fell of a depth unbeknownst to all but one person; Mike Park. His desperation for peace in the world is deafening while he delves into matters of this country as well as one an ocean away. One of the more strikingly thoughtful tracks is "Asian Prodigy," an exploration into a stereotype that I assume has plagued Park's life. With lyrics like "I don't want to be a doctor/There are things I need to share/Can you treat me like a person?/I want you to love me/Sharing your love with me/Sorry I can't be your Asian prodigy," it sparks some insight a generalization that most people probably don't give much thought to. Overwhelmingly powerful songs like "North Hangook Falling," and "Korea Is So Far Away," are cultural pieces once again covering subjects that we as listeners normally wouldn't give too much thought to. "Dear Canada" is a song that features a lyrics I found to be particularly reflective: "How does it feel to be a neighbor of a country bound in chains?/Pounding the pavement are you ready for the war/I'm trusting you."

Every single song on this twelve song full length is breathtaking and worth listening to over and over again. "North Hangook Falling" is an intense record full of activism, heartfelt honesty and gentle acoustic melody. It's a reflection of the way one great man sees the world. Mike Park himself has done great things for the independent music scene. Without his dedication to music and appreciation for there may not be an Alkaline Trio, a Screeching Weasel, The Lawrence Arms or Plea For Peace for that matter. He deserves a thousand gold stars for his visions, his success and most of all, his own music. Unfortunately I only have five to give, but I'm giving them without a second thought."

Tragical History Tour-7.20/7.30

15 Minutes -8/8.10

Mike park -8.45/9

SpaceMan Lance 9.50/10

Five Finger Discount or The Upstarts 10.30

Five Finger Discount or The Upstarts 11.15

Although the running order will probably change Mike Park will certainly be on at 9ish.

Hope that helps.

The whole gig was fantastic.

Every band did themselves proud.

Mike Park was superb...i was in complete awe during the whole set.

The Upstarts need a shout out because their set was fantastic.

The crowd were loving it and the best fun was had in ages.

It's how punk gigs should be done.

Thank you to everyone that came and every band that played.

was the best gig ive seen the past couple of months...that 15 minutes band were GASH! I mean really fucking bad...i did not enjoy them. it hurt my ears! i feld bad for them becasue it was so poop!

5FD were amazing - so good! so so so good! Catch and fun and all that jazz! Good Set Guys!

Missed Mike Park.

The ska band after mike park got really old really fast but i cant judge becasue i ended up speaking to people in the hall.

The Upstarts are the best local band at the moment. Its just fun ska punk and i love it! Ace stage show and everything! WOOT!

Guest scott cs.

5FD were amazing - so good! so so so good! Catch and fun and all that jazz! Good Set Guys!

Thank you very much :]

We had so much fun playing. I liked THT [i'll have to have a listen to the cd Dee has] and 15 Minutes were pretty good too. Mike Park was amazing and a lovely chap too. First time seeing the Lance and i enjoyed them. The Upstarts were unbelievable, they've set a very high standard for punk rock bands in Aberdeen, and it's a bugger trying to play catch up! Seriously tho, we need that sort of atmosphere at every gig.

aye, thats the way it should be at every punk rock show. there is no reason why it cant happen all the time in every city for every band. its up to us!

MAJOR props to the upstarts for having so much energy just after touring, brilliant to see

massive well done to camie and paul for the promo/organisation, great turnout and everything ran smoothly.

Really enjoyed all the acts, first time hearing Deeker, thought he was really good, and 5 finger discount seemed to have hugely improved. mike park was awesome, the video stuff was really original and the anti-rascist stuff really powerful, was amazing to be on the same bill, and to speak to him,

cheers for everyone who stuck around til the end, it were great - sorry for all the commas,,

I have to shout out to 15 Minutes actually.

They were fantastic.

It's great to see accoustic acts put so much energy into their set.

Incase anyone is wondering he had to say this about the gig in Aberdeen in the blog he has been doing during the tour...

"Afterwards we headed back to the club. There were 6 different acts playing, so the music started at 7:20 PM. A great mix of acoustic, punk, and Ska. The evening was very enjoyable. Everyone was so nice from the bands, to the promoters, to the people at the show. It gave me energy and inspired. Rarely do shows do this, but I felt the urge to get up and dance. Seeing how everyone at the show was just there to have a good time. It seems like there's so much division in music. Different scenes of hipsters and bollocks of the sort seem to dominate the music instead of the music itself, but last night it was about music and people dancing and having a wonderful time. As for my set... FUN... Very enjoyable. Thanks Aberdeen for a good experience. "