aberdeen-music

Custom Guitar Finishes?

scottST

I posted this in the All Music thing, not sure if thats the right place....

im looking for information on places that do custom finishes for guitars?

i want to make my bass a sort of shiney chrome finish....any information on places that do this sort of thing would be much appreciated...

thanks

scott

I once asked this question a while back and didn't really get anywhere. Needless to say getting your guitar refinished is a hassle from what I can make of it. Stripping it back to the barewood is alot of work as guitars have many MANY coats of paint. So taking time...that means money. You've then got to have it re-finished which again takes alot of time if you want it to look good and ofcourse that means more money. I think it's alot more hassle than it is worth unless your willing to do it yourself or if your starting off with an unfinished body. Jeid who posted/posts on here had his mustang painted blue by a guy who did car finishes with apprently good results.

If I were you I'd just buy a new bass in chrome. www.warmoth.com do bodies/necks/finsihes/hardware the lot.

If you find out anywhere that does refinishes I would be interested to know but don't hold your breath locally.

Not a problem. Sorry if it wasn't the answer you were looking for but re-finishing isn't the easiest mod. Even using power tools to sand it down can lead to damage to the body if you are not careful. But again to use Jeid as an example he had a bullseye and scoobydoo painted on a guitar...though I don't know if it had had a finish on it before...gnarly...

15Jeid_LP.jpg

thats fucking cool....

well, second question....

what about scratchplates? if you've ever seen a live Thin Lizzy track on the TV or anything, Phil Lynott uses a Fender bass, with a mirror/chrome scratchplate on it.....you know of anywhere that could supply/make one of these for my Epiphone V bass? or a future purchase of a Fender....?

Mirrored scratcch plates now that's alot easier to get a hold of/make.

You could always take your scratch plate off. Make a template onto some card/thick paper. Remember to mark all the screw holes. Then give that to someone who can cut the shape out of aluminium for you.