aberdeen-music

2006/2007 season thread

Guest Jake Wifebeater

quote of the day from jimmy 'soon to be unemployed' quinn...

"I'll have a chat with the chairman about it and if I think the answer is me leaving and getting somebody else in to save the club, I'll do it for the fans."

some people just can't take a hint!

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cambridge 3 woking 0

mr quinn saves his job, great performance from the lads, useless veteran keeper paul crichton who told the fans at rushden to fuck off disciplined and dropped from the squad.

jesus h footy is a funny old game! amzing how one result can completely change your optimism!!!

Man U are absolutely breathtaking this season.

I'll give you that. I couldn't stop laughing when they got beaten by West Ham. Thought i was going to die.

I hate him and think he's a diving, show boating ponce but Christiano Ronaldo has been on superb form this season. Now if he could only stop running into the corner flag and dropping like a 6kg sack of spuds whenever there's an opposition defender within 1m of him i think he could shape up to be one of the best players to have graced the premiership in a long long time.

Wayne Rooney is a bit of an enigma for me as there seems to be a lot of bustle in his current game but not a lot of end-product. There's no doubt that his mere presence on the pitch can turn a game around and he does turn in tireless performances, but in trying to curb his temper he seems to have lost a bit of the edge in his game.

For me, Man Utd's weak point will always be their defence. Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic are clumsy and terrible on the ball, their lack of co-ordination and inability to converse whilst playing are the key to most of Man Utd's leaked goals at the back. I do like the look of Patrice Evra though but he is suffering from the Cole/Bridge left back syndrome where he's great at getting forward and creating chances but he sometimes forgets that he's a defender not a winger. Of course Gary Neville is a rock in defence but he can't always be there to mop up the others mistakes. They also lack any depth in central defence too, if Ferdinand and Vidic are out they haven't really got anyone suitable to cover and maintain a descent level of a challenge for places in the team.

On the central defence thing, i've noticed that most teams these days seem to forget about making sure that they have adequate cover in defence. Spurs have annoyed the shit out of me all season by not securing someone as adequate cover for Ledley King and Michael Dawson. Let's face it Gardner and Davenport (thank fuck we got some money from West Ham for him) are useless. Gardner only seems to 'make up the numbers' when he's on the pitch. I really want to see Spurs step up the chase for either Upson or Curtis Davies as it might just give us some more options (i'm in no way convinced by Rocha- i'll give him a few more games though).

I can see Evra being pushed forward into Giggs' position within the next couple of season, his pace is lightning and he actually has brilliant on ball control.

I partly agree with you about Vidic and Ferdinand, although I wouldn't point them out as being a really weak paring! Vidic is a great last ditch defender and Ferdinand is pretty intelligent in his posistioning, Ferdinand is also pretty good on the ball if he cares to be, but he is too lazy. I hope that Man-U dont lose out on Heinze, i think he is an excellent left back.

Carrick has been an absolute revalation to man uniteds midfield this year aswell, he goes pretty unnoticed, but the work he puts in and his accurate forward passing is amazing.

Vidic and Ferdinand are two of the best defenders in the Premiership! great as a pair as well. i thought Vidic was a dud from last season but he has managed to adapt and became one of the first names on SAF's teamsheet i'd say. as for cover they have Brown, Silvestre and Heinze (who is a far better centre back than a left back IMO) so i i think its unfair to say they have no cover in that area.

in the middle is where their lack of depth shows a bit - as adequate as players such as Fletcher and Park Ji-Sung are they are not in the same league as Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes and Carrick (surely the best midfield since United in the 90s)

the addition of Larsson means they are covered pretty well up front, with Saha and Solskaer waiting, as well as Ronaldo and Giggs able to play there if things do get really tight.

in conclusion, Manchester United will win the league this season.

I can see Evra being pushed forward into Giggs' position within the next couple of season, his pace is lightning and he actually has brilliant on ball control.

I partly agree with you about Vidic and Ferdinand, although I wouldn't point them out as being a really weak paring! Vidic is a great last ditch defender and Ferdinand is pretty intelligent in his posistioning, Ferdinand is also pretty good on the ball if he cares to be, but he is too lazy. I hope that Man-U dont lose out on Heinze, i think he is an excellent left back.

Carrick has been an absolute revalation to man uniteds midfield this year aswell, he goes pretty unnoticed, but the work he puts in and his accurate forward passing is amazing.

The thing with Vidic and Ferdinand is that if you put them in an already strong and well ordered back-line they would be fine and look really good individually. But in the current set up they both seem to lack the required understanding of each others play. That's what causes the problems in my opinion. Ferdinand is a very lazy player, though not quite in the same league as Harry "I'll see how my team are doing half way through the season and if it's ok i'll think about playing football again" Kewell. I just don't think Ferdinand and Vidic can play effectively together and that element is exposed and capitalized upon by the smarter, more experienced strikers that inhabit the better teams in the champions league. If i was Ferguson i would be turning my attention away from trying to secure Hargreaves right now and aiming to bring in a solid, cultured and experienced central defender to give those two a kick up the arse.

I was gutted when Carrick was sold (though i'm glad we got 18m for him- i couldn't've stomached another Campbell/Sheringham incident) but he'll develop into a great player if he continues to play like he has been this season for Utd. He's a very "meat and potato's" player and he's great at holding the midfield together. He's exactly the sort of player Man Utd have lacked in the team since Roy Keane left.

Now if Man Utd can eventually find someone to fill the void left by Schmeichel and the left- back slot that Irwin left and ensure that they've got long term players in development to replace Scholes and Giggs then they would definitely be able to seriously mount a challenge for the Champions League and maybe maintain a run of Premier title wins.

Ben Foster is the best young goal keeper in the UK.

I also completely disagree with the comments on Ferdinand and Vidic's defensive capabilities. Considering the all out attack mentality in the majority of Man U games, you would expect there to be a glut of goals against coming via counter attack. However, only liverpool have conceeded less this season. Vidic has been absolutely stunning this season, he doesnt always look pretty but he gets it done and thats something we have missed for a while. Ferdinand has blossomed in partnership and his few Zander Diamondesque runs aside, has looked back to his best this season. Evra is starting to really build in confidence and you can see that in the way that his flair and skill are starting to show in games. I just hope Man United win the title this year because I don't see anyone touching Arsenal next year.

Er, both I think.

From northsound1.co.uk

Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield has been called in to the Scotland squad for their get together in Ayrshire next week. He could also take part in the B international on Wednesday against Finland, which Darren Mackie and Chris Clark also included in the squad.