aberdeen-music

2006/2007 season thread

Guest Jake Wifebeater

good game, shame we couldn't make the most of home advantage. It should be another tight game at Easter Road though. Brewster was quality and we looked much better once Dempsey went off. He just seemed to have no touch in him at all in the first half.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

Who was the wierd Eastern European player who supposedly lied about his age?

Anyway, good match, thought it was tatties when they went 2-1 so you've got to be happy with a draw.

Brewster's goal was fantastic, great header.

i must admit, apart from the goal and the header to setup the second, i didn't think a great deal of brewsters contribution. his touch was almost non existant and i believe that having seen how good his holding up and disribution were in the short spell he played against hibs last week, they realised that putting immediate pressure on him was a must.

that being said, he brings a certain poise to our strike force that isn't there with the younger players and there's a real benefit when he's on the field. what happened to maguire? he had about 5 good minutes and then disappeared from the game completely.

Anyway, we could have done without a replay but we shall see how it goes. Will hopefully make it along to the re-run.

/x

Guest DustyDeviada

I was watching it in a pub in Edinburgh (Kenny Miller was there too, looking like a Ned and drinking pints) so I couldn't hear the commentary, and I couldn't really work out what system they were playing in the second half. What ever it was, it was a bit strange, six strikers or something, so I don't think that helped Maguire. He's just a young lad, I think the press have put too much pressure on him by hyping him up so much.

Did anyone else notice Brewster going into 'manager analysis' mode when interviewed after the game!!

Yeah I noticed that. It's getting silly how many former managers are kicking around the club now helping JC out. We've got Jimmy Nicholl, Sandy Clark, Willie Miller and now Craig Brewster all chipping in. Suppose it's got to be good for the younger players having all that experience around.

Guest DustyDeviada
Interestingly the local press are starting to mention Caley's Mark Brown as a replacement for the woeful Langfield.

Yep, he's out of contract soon and will no doubt jump at the prospect of a move to a big club.

*Sits back and waits for Ross to appear* ;)

Surely Souttar should get a run in the team? I've never really seen much of him since his Dundee (and on loan to Brechin) days but he can't be more glaring-error-prone than Clangfield? You can feel a collective cringe around the ground when the ball goes near his greasy gloves.

Thought Brew looked a bit off the pace, I hope that's not him fully fit. Great goal though. No complaints about his signing. Comedic and effective. We're still in the cup thanks to him alone and we had a good laugh too.

Official statement from AFC regarding the cup replay and the Motherwell game after it:

Aberdeen Football Club has reacted with anger and astonishment at the SPL's decision to insist that next weekend's league encounter with Motherwell is to go ahead as planned on Saturday week, less than forty-eight hours after the Club travels to Easter Road to face Hibs in their Tennent's Scottish Cup third round replay. Ironically the Edinburgh team's visit to Inverness Caley Thistle has been put back twenty-four hours to the Sunday afternoon.

Pittodrie Executive Director Duncan Fraser commented. "We wrote to the SPL on December 15th stating that, should there be a need for a replay in our cup game with Hibs, both clubs believed it should be on the first available date which, with Hibs playing next Monday evening in the SPL at Kilmarnock, would be Thursday January 18th , to allow the normal 'two clear days' to elapse. Our argument was that, to leave it until the following week, causes a number of issues in that, if there was a postponement due to bad weather, the game would have to take place on the weekend of January 27th as Hibs play their CIS semi-final the following Wednesday and the 4th round of the Scottish Cup is the first weekend in February.

"Both Hibs and ourselves stated that we would be asking for a twenty-four postponement if there was a replay and this afternoon is the first we have heard regarding the matter since when we were informed that we had to play on the Saturday which, from our point of view, is totally ludicrous, particularly as the ICT versus Hibs game has been switched.

"Every club in the SPL has been in a position whereby they have had a game changed to the Sunday due to their opponents being involved on a Thursday evening and we are extremely upset that this has not happened on this occasion. As everyone is aware, Aberdeen is challenging near the top of the SPL at present and this puts us at a totally unnecessary disadvantaged position."

I can't believe they haven't moved the game. It's fucking ridiculous. There's no way on earth the game with Motherwell would be on the Saturday if we were Rangers or Celtic.

I thought Brewster was great when he came on.

Cracking goal.

He is great to have around the club I reckon and he'll bring on a lot of the younger players.

Langfield was horrible again, too many mistakes this season, we need to bring someone decent in.

I thought foster was shite as usual too, and clark... flattered to deceive yet again.

Foster was let down especially in the first half by lack of cover from left midfield, thanks to Clark and Dempsey trying to play the same position. He gets an awful lot of stick, but he's being played out of position. Luckily he has the pace to often recover from mistakes.

When the inevitable happens and Jimmy's favourite - Richie Byrne - gets fit and drafted back in at left back, I'd quite like to see Foster on the wing, and Nicholson back in at centre midfield.