aberdeen-music

Debate Forum!

Benji

What would you like to debate? Surely all the forums are debate forums? They are just set out in catagories............ Or am I being dim (again)?

I would like to debate current affairs without someone butting in the middle of a debate, saying, 'Aye min, there a' bams.. dicks! etc'.

A moded place where actual debate and discussions go without attracting the wrong people.

Most of the other forums are fair game for debate' date=' so I don't see any point in designating a new forum specifically for that purpose.[/quote']

I like to disagree on things! Why stop now huh?

Having been with A/M for years (2nd account) I find myself constantly going to the Wasteland, as I really don't have that big an interest in the other forums, although I do look around now and again.

It's not really a problem to decipher which forum should be used for what, but I feel that the wasteland is a culmination of forums that could, maybe should, be maximised for the non musican.

However, if your final decision stands, then I wont lose sleep over it. Just thought it was a good idea.

In 5 or so years on this site I can't remember it ever being as lacklustre and placid. It's like everybody's on ritalin, or afraid of posting something that may start some debating. The AUBL board (original wasteland) was a forum rimming with debates, slagging matches, arguments and proper banter. There was some good reading on there where most things were taken with a pinch of salt.

Personally, I think 'the suits' have had the largest impact on the liveliness of the site because almost none of the above are considered tolerable now that the website has expanded past local boundaries because it 'doesn't paint a good picture of the scene'. Everyones entitled to their opinion but when it comes to other people and their bands anything worse than constructive criticism isnt kosher.

e.g. 'Starfall to headline RGU freshers week' wouldn't have gone past the first two pages today, yet it was and still is the single greatest thread this site has ever seen.

I can't see the point of a debate forum - surely more than half of the forums here are for debating on already?

I think it's down to individuals to stimulate debate and encourage discussion - simply callign a forum a "Debate Forum" isn't going to make people suddenly develope a need to discuss anything any differently than they do on another forum.

Mind you, at least by proposing a debate forum it's provoked some debate.

This has been covered so many times before. The reason the site is more tightly moderated these days is because the members wanted it that way' date=' judging from the amount of reported posts and complaints threads exactly like that Starfall one got. We don't tolerate slagging matches because this is meant to be a [b']music website, not a playground. A lot of the people who were just here to make mischief have gone away, and I for one am happy about that because it means those people who actually want to discuss music and promote their bands are free to do so without being shouted down or their having their reputation abused.

Theres more members and much more site traffic now than at any time when the AUBL board was in operation, and aberdeen-music.com has now got a better foundation to move forward and actually provide something constructive to the local music community, rather than a bunch of bored idiots slagging each other off.

Those points are all Zehr Valid, however I still feel that this site only projects a picture of a monolithic music scene, where everyone only gives out positive vibes and loves all the other bands, which everybody here knows isn't the case. I reckon it's also good to get a bit of bashing now and again when it comes to your band, better having it sooner than later.

On a completely unrelated note: You wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of a set of decks? Cheap rental or something? Whilst trying to launch this solo career my first 'gig' (birthday at the lovely ol' carlton - YAS MIN) venue doesn't have their own.

In my honest opinion. I like coming to A-M. But everyone who doesn't have a thing to say about Music is basically being crammed into the Wasteland..

..Perhaps thats the desired effect. To keep the essence of the board with musicians, but, non-musicans are now on the go, and as said, they only appear in the Wasteland!

There's so much cramming that we are all getting Irrate. Every single post thats made starts an argument. And it's becoming a bit of a joke. People slagging people off on Happy Birthday threads", people embroiling themselves in arguments for no reason, other than opinion.

With a debate forum, and possibly even a Cussing Room, I really think the weight of the wasteland would be lifted.

In my honest opinion. I like coming to A-M. But everyone who doesn't have a thing to say about Music is basically being crammed into the Wasteland..

..Perhaps thats the desired effect. To keep the essence of the board with musicians' date=' but, non-musicans are now on the go, and as said, they only appear in the Wasteland!

There's so much cramming that we are all getting Irrate. Every single post thats made starts an argument. And it's becoming a bit of a joke. People slagging people off on Happy Birthday threads", people embroiling themselves in arguments for no reason, other than opinion.

With a debate forum, and possibly even a Cussing Room, I really think the weight of the wasteland would be lifted.[/quote']

These are the number of active threads in the past 24 hours:

Wasteland: 14

Music Discussion: 12

Gigs and Events: 16

Other: 32

I don't think 14 active threads in a day is cramming anything, so why it would cause people to become "Irrate" I've no idea.

The Wasteland is full of shit, that's what it's there for.

Yea I understand..

.. but on no level is the wasteland the shit of this website. We have as much opinion as the next person on musical affairs in Aberdeen. Well' date=' I do at least.

:up:[/quote']

On one level it is, these are music discussion forums. If it's attracting the "wrong people", as you put it, then maybe that's another level.

By the way, I never said, or even implied, that your judgement was worth any less than anyone elses.

Kinda gave me the impression that you think the shit of the website goes to the Wasteland... doesn't sound nice to those who grace the forum dude.

I'm afraid as far as I'm concerned all the "shit" (or more politely: off-topic) posts should and do get posted in The Wasteland as that is it's one and only purpose. It is also why all posts in The Wasteland eventually get pruned and why posts made there don't count towards your post count (and hence add to your reputation level).

As for a debate forum then no, that doesn't make sense to me. All forums provide the means of holding a debate within them - that's their purpose. What I think your actually after is a forum for serious but not music related debate. e.g. A home for threads like "Israel vs Palestine. Who has the right to kill innocent people?" and such like. This is a fair suggestion and one I'm considering among others.