aberdeen-music

Friday 21st July - Fudge Birthday Bash No.2 - a 5 band bill

The Ghost Of Fudge

Friday July 21st

FUDGE present: Their Birthday Bash (Part 2)

Fiction/Action

www.myspace.com/fictionaction

www.fictionaction.com

Formed as Fiction/Action early in 2006, Fiction/Action take on a punk rawk edge drawing large influence from Dischord bands such as 'Fugazi' and 'Q and not U'. Having gigged for the previous year under the name 'Reasons Are Red' Fiction/Action have already played throughout Scotland, supporting the likes of The Kooks and iForward Russia!, and intend to play as many places as physically possible.

Fiction/Action's live show has been favourably compared to the intensity of Fugazi, Q and Not U, Early Idlewild, Les Savy Fav, Jetplane Landing, Shellac, and have been more favourably compared to Mark Rothko's finest work.

Plans are in place to record Fiction/Actions debut EP "Fake Love, Real Jazz" which should hopefully have a release date of March/April time.

Deadloss M.F. Superstar

www.myspace.com/deadlosssuperstar

www.deadlosssuperstar.co.uk

The three founding members of Deadloss Superstar met at school and were united though a shared love of rock music. After stealing a hardcore/punk-influenced rhythm section, they set about melding their sound from an exhaustive list of influences including Guns N' Roses, Queens Of The Stoneage, Muse, Alice In Chains, Black Flag, Deftones, New York Dolls and Iggy Pop.

What they have arrived at may best be described as stoner-punk'. Normally drenched in distorted guitars, but surprisingly melodic, their songs range from frenetic punky thrashers to majestic slow-burning epics. The memorably enthusiastic live show comes with passion, energy and a firm commitment to entertainment. But not, we should make clear, in the manner of tribute acts such as The Darkness: this is an altogether more sinister affair, with themes of murderous love, drug-fuelled insomnia, and the end of the world.

They have often been described as sleazy. Musically speaking, of course.

Valentine

Lucy who-used-to-be-the-singer-guitarist-in-The-Cuts has a new band. As far as i'm aware, this will be their debut performance. And that's about all i know.

The Band From Uncle

Maybe someone can tell me if they have a website? thanks...

Fluffy and the Rainbow Bunnies

www.myspace.com/fluffyandtherainbowbunny

www.geocities.com/fluffyrainbowbunny

Influences - captain beefheart, zlad, the residents, kick the raven, ksk, devo, aphex twin, horse the band, they might be giants (the old shit), kfc, anal cunt, cannibal corpse, tom waits, the bloodhound gang, msi, x japan, bauhaus, the fall, kmfdm.

Sounds like? captain beefheart, the residents, devo, zlad, tom waits, anal cunt, the bloodhound gang, "old" they might be giants.

doors 8pm, 3 all night (that's a freakin' bargin!)

Valentine.

Lucy who-used-to-be-the-singer-guitarist-in-The-Cuts has a new band. As far as i'm aware' date=' this will be their debut performance. And that's about all i know.

[/quote']

the GCGuide Mailing List informs me that, infact, 'Valentine' are playing the tunnels tonight with Short Notice, Parity's Fall, and Turning 13.

perhaps someone would be good enough to tell me what they sounded like? a nice little soundbite? you know the sort of thing...

• 2 weeks later...

www.thebandfromuncle.com pretty pointless going to this website coz iain is a lazy bastard and has done fuck all with it in the past year. so i have constructed a super shitty myspace for people to whack off to.

www.myspace.com/bandfromuncle

P.S. if the guy who told me to fuck off coz i drank his pint in exodus last night sees this, fuck you and don't come to this gig. you smell awfull and have really crap hair. you look silly.

thanks fudge

this was fairly awesome. i really enjoyed fluffy, and dedloss... but valentine...erll... there is no other way to say it, that girls voice aktually made me want to kill her! :down:

Guest bluesxman

For 3 quid a really good night.

After listening to Fluffy and the Rainbow Bunnies stuff on My Space a while back I expected to dislike them but actually quite enjoyed them some, good tunes and an ability not to take themselves too seriously. The Bi-Polar Polar Bear song actually made me chuckle out loud.

Valentine's first song wasn't appealing too much due to the random yelpy vocal style but when she stopped all that and sung properly I thought they were OK. The last song was horrible due to aforementioned yelpy vocals all the way through it. The bass player had a cool Kid Congo type thing going on.

Deadloss were good, I even enjoyed the Janes Addiction cover which was unexpected, normally I would be hating people trying to do one of their songs but Mountain Song is one of my favourites and they pulled it off well. Lots of energy on stage as well. Impressive falling off stage abilities demonstrated at the end as well.

Fiction Action were also great, again lots of energy and great songs.

Left before Band From Uncle came on.

I really enjoyed Friday, and I didn't even get pissed (which you may have told by our live performance). :p

Our set was alright but nowhere near the best we have played. We aren't really used to playing first (apart from our first gig and when we supported Horse), but it was still good fun. I was scared to jump on the monitors incase the staff jumped on my face though, so perhaps not as much antics as we tend to do.

I thought Valentine were rubbish. Fair enough, it is only their second gig, but their sound is not my cup of tea at all, adding to the fact that the in house sound in drummonds was pish aswell. Lucy's vocals were indistinguishable and pretty ear raping when she shouted.

Unfortunately I missed Deadloss Superstar as I was outside talking to my old school technician, but from what I heard, they sounded not bad.

I expected not to like Fiction/Action, but I thought they did a very good set! Some songs I wasn't keen on, particularly the slower one, but all in all, a very enjoyable live act. Their music isn't one of my preferences really, which goes to show how good a live band they are.

I didn't like the Band from UNCLE at all, but the crowd seemed to like them. The music was sloppy, you couldn't hear what the singer was singing, and the others were playing this wall of noise which in the end, made me leave Drummonds.

All in all, a good night, and thanks to Fudge for letting us play.

I didn't like the Band from UNCLE at all' date=' but the crowd seemed to like them. The music was sloppy, you couldn't hear what the singer was singing, and the others were playing this wall of noise which in the end, made me leave Drummonds.

[/quote']

i think you must be confusing them for deadloss.

oh, no, actually the crowd didn't seem to like us at all. my mistake.

i think you must be confusing them for deadloss.

oh' date=' no, actually the crowd didn't seem to like us at all. my mistake.[/quote']

Ahahahahaha, i thought you guys were entertaining as usual. Was highly annoyed that the set end was a bit lacklustre. Though James' own attempt at making himself a eunoch with his bass headstock was amusing and Brian taking a helping hand on to the floor was pretty funny too. :D