aberdeen-music

Orson - before they were famous.

french_disko

I fucking hate the "bright Idea" song. So it made me laugh to find this - the pre-Orson career of Jason "fucking" Pebworth.

Busking on the streets of LA? Nope.

Touring coast to coast in a transit van doing DIY gigs? Nope.

Peniless garage singer working three jobs to survive? Nope.

Singer and Actor in a tour of Andrew Lloyd Webbers "Phantom of The Opera". Oh yes.....

http://www.jasonanelson.com/jason_nelsons_weblog/music/index.html

Guest DustyDeviada
Phantom is the longest running broadway show in history and possibly one of the best musicals ever written.

"Phantom" (are you one of these tubes who calls Les Miserable "lay miz"?) is a pile of balls. The main theme is a rip off of Echoes by Pink Floyd.

Roger Waters interview from Q Magazine' date=' 1992:

"Michael Jackson performs in stadiums, too - but he's not doing it for himself, he's doing it to save all the little children in the world." " He's crackers! But not _that_ crackers because he doesn't much care for Andrew Lloyd Webber! (There's a lyric on Amused To Death which runs thus: "Lloyd Webber's awful stuff/Runs for years and years/An earthquake hits the theatre/But the operetta lingers/Then the piano lid comes down/And breaks his fucking fingers.") "Andrew Lloyd Webber sickens me. He's in your face all the time and what he does is nonsense. It has no value. It is shallow, derivative rubbish, all of it, and it makes me very gloomy. Actually, I've never been to one of his shows but having put that slightly savage joke on the record, I though I'd better listen to some Andrew Lloyd Webber and I was staying in a rented house in America this summer and the people who owned the house had a whole bunch of his rubbish so I though I'd listen to Phantom Of The Opera and I put the record on and I was slightly apprehensive. I though, Christ, I hope this isn't good - or even mediocre. I was not disappointed. Phantom Of The Opera is absolutely fucking horrible from start to finish."

Yes, the music of "Sir" Andrew Lloyd Webber is rather horrible - but has not Waters, in condemning Phantom Of The Opera as "fucking fifteenth rate from beginning to end", as he does, missed something? Has he not noticed something uncanny about Phantom Of The Opera, the title song, something about the opening notes that go "DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da"?

"Yes, Echoes"! he booms. (Echoes was an LP-side-long, and rather-good- actually, track on Pink Floyd's Meddle.) "Echoes. Yeah the beginning of that bloody Phantom song is from Echoes. (_He sings_) DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's the same time signature - it's 12/8 - and it's the same structure and it's the same notes and it's the same everything. Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber. I think that might make me really gloomy."

Q had to publish an apology the month after, I assume that knob Lloyd Webber got his high price lawyers onto them.

i remember that interview. is there anything which DOESN'T make Roger Waters feel 'really gloomy'? what a cheery fellow!

i don't really care what Orson bloke's background is. you don't have to have travelled round in a transit van for months to make your band any more justified.

Orson probably still would've been shite if they'd gone down that route.

Orson write bollocks hideous music for non-music lovers as does that webber knob.

Valid critism and comment I feel and therefor the thread has a point. More point than most threads. Some dick on the radio actually went ''What a great tune'' after playing an insipid Orson track. He should now be prevented from broadcasting or commenting on ''music''.

Also - the lyrics are as completely shit as those by Webber. Truly awful and pointless - unless the point is making money from people who have too much but dislike music

Phantom of the Opera is an abomination. The government really should intervene and get this shite removed from our society. Never mind a fucking pointless knife amnesty.

In fact what is worse than Orson?

Ok Phil collins is, and probably Phantom of the Opera, but is there anything else that sounds as musically grotesque as Orson????????

Guest DustyDeviada
the list goes on.

Yes indeed it does' date=' not that I usually need much encouragement, but an excellent opportunity to wheel out my top ten reasons to hate Phil Collins again:

1. Playing both Live Aids and feeling very pleased with himself about it.

2. Playing all the instruments on the "Both Sides" album just to show off (even though he can't play guitar and his keyboard/guitar simulations were awful).

3. Miami Vice

4. "Discovering" world music about 15 years after Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel, and releasing a Graceland knock-off. On the plus side, that seemed to kill off his career, record sales wise, so it wasn't all bad.

5. Yes, we know you played the Artful Dodger in Oliver. Stop going on about it at every available opportunity in an attempt to paint yourself as a loveable, cockney, cheeky-chappie. Because you're not.

6. Tarzan, although it did lead to the hilarious post-awards reaction from South Park's Trey Parker & Matt Stone ("I can't believe we lost to Phil Collins") and subsequent ridicule in South Park

7. Dumping his wife by fax and shagging his childs interpreter

8. He, along with his Genesis cohorts (Gabriel excluded) bought a sizeable section of Mull. They allowed the planting of thousands of non indigenous pine trees that managed to turn the land into an acidy swamp that nothing could live off.

9. The lyrics to Another Day in Paradise

10. Buster

Jester and Marillionboy please note before complaining about it that I have already amended it to ensure that it states that it was his child's interpreter he was shagging, rather than his child's nanny (that was that other cock de Burgh) and that Jester already confirmed the dumping by fax incident in this thread:

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33859

PS Slowdazzle, there are many reasons to hate Phil Collins, but his bald head isn't one of them. *cough*

Another reason why Collins is a disgrace -

"A CLOSURE threat is hanging over one of Liverpool's most successful creative centres, just two years before the city becomes Capital of Culture.

A hub of businesses in city centre Parr Street, including the famous music studios where three Grammy award-winning albums have been recorded, could all make way for 41 new apartments.

Property owners Hit and Run, a company owned by Phil Collins and two other members of rock band Genesis, have applied to turn the site into luxury apartments."

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=16341057&method=full&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Guest DustyDeviada
Another reason why Collins is a disgrace -

"A CLOSURE threat is hanging over one of Liverpool's most successful creative centres' date=' just two years before the city becomes Capital of Culture.

A hub of businesses in city centre Parr Street, including the famous music studios where three Grammy award-winning albums have been recorded, could all make way for 41 new apartments.

[b']Property owners Hit and Run, a company owned by Phil Collins and two other members of rock band Genesis, have applied to turn the site into luxury apartments."

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=16341057&method=full&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Excellent, looks like it could be a top 11 list from now on.