aberdeen-music

Computer monitors/lcd tv's...

Hog

Im looking at getting a flatscreen tv but I would also like to be able to hook it to my computer so I can run presentations on it. Any idea what I should look out for so it is compatible with my computer and can be used as a normal tv?

Cheers

Hog

Look at getting an HD Ready flatscreen TV as they all should have at least one HDMI input and' date=' if you're really lucky, a VGA or DVI input. Both of these can accept video outputs from a computer quite nicely.[/quote']

Thanks Neil.:up:

Look at getting an HD Ready flatscreen TV as they all should have at least one HDMI input and' date=' if you're really lucky, a VGA or DVI input. Both of these can accept video outputs from a computer quite nicely.[/quote']

what neil said, but make sure you have a decent resolution. picture in picture is also a good feature to have if your using it as a tv and a monitor, so you can use half the screen as your monitor and the other half to watch the televizzle. :up:

ps, dont be fooled by this hd ready nonsense. its all a scam!!!

as long as the resolution is about 1200x800 and you have a vga input on the back it'll be the bee's knees and the dogs bollocks at the same time.

I've got a 40" sony bravia lcd, it has loads of inputs including pc inputs, I would imagine most similar models would have inputs for a pc.

hd ready is a bit of a con unless you have an hd source. i got sky hd a couple of weeks though and it is amazing, the football looks amazing on it and the colour is stunning - a major improvement on the normal picture. it is a bit pricy considering the content available just now though

what neil said' date=' but make sure you have a decent resolution..[/quote']

Yup, not all sets sold as HD-ready just now will be able to display much more than a normal TV resolution come the switch-over. So it is a bit of a con still.

Also, the last time I looked, there were still two incompatible systems competing for adoption in the UK market so buying the wrong one could still see you left out. Saying that, the sets shoulld be able to display either system so long as they have the right connectors,

Also, the main manufacturers are going to be ditching CRT completely by sometime later this year, so you can expect a further drop in LCD prices when this happens. :)

Currently the only thing you can watch (TV wise) in HD is Sky... and only specific channels... I think you can watch some of the digital channels too if you get you get yourself a special reciever box (i think they come in around the 300 mark).

Indeedy, currently only Sky One, 1 Sky Movies channel, 1 Sky Sports channel and National Geographic are in HD. It also costs an extra 10 a month above your normal Sky subscription, in addition to the 300 for the receiver. Wait a few months and they'll be giving the things away for free with installation.

I was going to buy and LCD tv a few months ago, but they seem to have broken through the 40" screen barrier, so going to hold back and see what a 42-50"-er will set me back in a years time.

It might not be too shit. The LCD projection screens are a lot better than the old style ones. You'll probably be able to see a Sony one around the 60" mark at Comet. It's not as good as an actual LCD tv obviously' date=' but not bad.[/quote']

No, they are still unutterably shite compared to almost any other. You need a minimum viewing distance of @20-30 feet before the image begins to look adequate. For pub/club use, probably OK but in the average home, quite pointless.

The big plasmas can be very nice tho but still very expensive & with a disturbingly short screen-life to-boot!