aberdeen-music

A Scanner Darkly

Alkaline

The technique used is called rotoscoping - in the past animators would painstakingly, frame by frame, draw over projected images of live action in order to produce an animation.

Much easier now in these days of digital media; Linklater layered the animation over the live action to produce this rather stunning visual effect.

From the trailer Keanu's acting looks as awful as ever. I was never really taken all that much with how "visually stunning" Sin City was. I found the actual substance of the film rather boring. This might be better though. Having Downey Jr and Woody Harrelson on board is not a bad thing.

• 2 months later...
Did anyone go see this?

I went last night and i really enjoyed the film' date=' thought it looked stunning and was very funny in parts, however my friend kept falling asleep and didn't like it.[/quote']

Yeah i went to see it last week, i thought it was brilliant and well shot. My friend thought it was shit too.

I'm glad someone else liked the film, was beginning to wonder if i was watching a different movie to my friend. I found there was stuff happening/to look at all the time. She said it was dull, and found the "man suits" distracting.

There's been a heap of good movies out recently. The last 3 or 4 i've gone to see have all been good (e.g Severance, Snakes on a Plane, Super Ex Girlfriend (a chick flick that i actually liked))

I'm glad someone else liked the film' date=' was beginning to wonder if i was watching a different movie to my friend. I found there was stuff happening/to look at all the time. She said it was dull, and [b']found the "man suits" distracting.

There's been a heap of good movies out recently. The last 3 or 4 i've gone to see have all been good (e.g Severance, Snakes on a Plane, Super Ex Girlfriend (a chick flick that i actually liked))

Thats was the idea!

Wasn't too impressed at all, the trailer looked completely brilliant but the plot was totally rubbish, and the 'twist' not very original, there was also no point whatsoever of it being set in the future. Also, there were a few scenes that just seemed to be ripped out of the matrix, the way they were shot and content.

The suits were also stupid, it was the reason the film was done in cartoonesque style (because CGI would have cost much more for the same effect) yet it just confused the audience by making everyone who wore one look the same. Also there's much better films about drugs and paranoia: Spun, Fear & Loathing...

I watched Waking Life the other week and it was a far superior and more engaging film.