aberdeen-music

help my bass!!!

timson

i own an epiphone thunderbird and the problem with it is that the hook that supports the bass when wearing a strap on the left side of the bass fell out the other day while playing. so i thought that it was loose and discovered that when i tried to screw it back in the wood inside has obviously worn away and can no longer fit in.

the bass was bought second hand from R N B music but i think it only has a months warranty on it and i bought it on the 15th of may.

anybody know what i can do to make the hook stay in place,repair shops etc

thankyou in advance for any help you can give me

Sounds fairly simple to fix - get some wooden match sticks (remove the bit you strike) and put one (or two if it's a big hole) into the hole where the screw goes. Cut the end of the matchstick(s) flush with the bass, then try screwing the strap button back in. The wood of the matchstick should give the screw something to bite on, and should ensure a strong hold.

Regards

Flossie

Guest five years

stuff a match into the hole and screw it back in. the match will give the screw something to bite into.

either that or use REALLY STRONG superglue.

MUCH cheaper than taking it to rip and off or bruce millers.

i think if you get wood filler, fill the hole, clean around the hole (so its to the shape of the basses horn etc) then get a drill and bore a new hole. i read that on here somewhere i think.

bruce millars would probs due it reletivly cheaply i think. rnb would probs charge a bit tho i think

Run a small drill down the hole to smoth it out, find a piece of scrap wood (hardwood is best) and cut a bit off, whittle this down to a size that will snugly fit the hole, smere generously with good wood glue, insert in hole and leave to set. Saw off flush with guitar body (be careful) drill small guide hole in middle of new wood then re-fix strap button....easy.

G...

Run a small drill down the hole to smoth it out' date=' find a piece of scrap wood (hardwood is best) and cut a bit off, whittle this down to a size that will snugly fit the hole, smere generously with good wood glue, insert in hole and leave to set. Saw off flush with guitar body (be careful) drill small guide hole in middle of new wood then re-fix strap button....easy.

G...[/quote']

The man speaks the truth. Dropped guitars can cost alot more than a new jack and lead. The Thunderbird is pretty heavy, and would imagine it'll fall straight on the headstock:down:

Buy a bigger screw...

This guys got it two a T. your talking about what, 1mm of wear, this has happened on all my guitars. My LTDS, my epiphones my ibanez bla bla.

Cause the bit that holds the screw is a like always a bit larger than the original. OYu just get a bigger one. Use a like, hand drivin Phillips Screw driver. Dont use electric, you need to force in that new screw. well, screw it in.

So aye, if that doesnt work, by new strap lock and a bigger screw.