aberdeen-music

the music you like

Stripey

Maybe it's important to you' date=' but I don't think it's something that's important to most people and I don't think it's something that necessarily should be. I don't need to know how band X got me to song Y. The problem is we all know your views on other people's musical tastes. So when you pose a question like this which could (debatably) result in some interesting discussion we tend to question your motives... people don't want yet another chance to justify themselves to you.[/quote']

I think you oversimplify the question by reducing it to the nature of "band x leads to band y". Despite your personal opinion of me and my motives, whatever you assume they may be, don't you think it's quite interesting to think about WHY you enjoy the music you enjoy? Perhaps you resist that self-analysis because where it would lead doesn't equate with your own current ideas about your taste in music and how it developed?

I think you oversimplify the question by reducing it to the nature of "band x leads to band y". Despite your personal opinion of me and my motives' date=' whatever you assume they may be, don't you think it's quite interesting to think about WHY you enjoy the music you enjoy? Perhaps you resist that self-analysis because where it would lead doesn't equate with your own current ideas about your taste in music and how it developed?[/quote']

You misquoted me, not that it makes much difference. I really don't understand the last sentence of your post either.

You misquoted me' date=' not that it makes much difference. I really don't understand the last sentence of your post either.[/quote']

i think one interpretation of what he is saying could be that sometimes you like music or albums by artist more by habit, circumstance or loyalty, rather than because the music is inspiring, fresh, ground-breaking or just a plain old good listen.

for example, i can imagine some people like or listen to RHCP because they've liked them for a while, not because they think the new album is great.

or some people will like whole genres of music because they associate it closely with something in their life, be it dancing, clubbing, depression, feeling good, drug taking or whatever - rather than because a singular piece of music appeals for a very specific reason.

i don't understand why people are being so defensive about this question. i like music for so many different reasons, and i think to some extent it's more interesting when you really don't know what it is you like about a kind of music or song. in any case people do consider why they like music subconsciously, it's how you know how to find and enjoy new music.

i like music cause of the emotion factor, i enjoy listening to stuff that you tell has had a lot of work put into it. I enjoy chilling out to some stuff, goin fucking nuts to others or even just playin along. I like stuff that can make me picture the meaning behind the lyrics. or even behind the music. Tool are amazing for this :)