aberdeen-music

the music you like

Stripey

Guest b-bert

Some music i find fascinating because of how it is structured / composed.

Some stuff is good because of the technical ability of the musicians.

And some stuff just sounds cool, nothing particularly special about it.

Different reasons for different artists, the band that got me into music in a big way were Queen who I liked for the vocals and the production. Nowadays I tend to look at lyrics, and whether they hit me on any level, sometimes (but not often) pure musicianship will catch my eye and I'll listen to something because I know on a technical level its very good. Usually the interplay between melody and lyrics interest me, if I can understand why I feel a melody works with a specific lyric.

At the end if the day though sometimes I do just like something, because I do, so maybe theres no definite formula in my case, but I think if theres one overiding element nowadays its lyrics.

Cheers

Stuart

This is a difficult question. I listen to lots fo stuff over a wide range of genres. I like it all because I'm indecisive and want to have music to fit my mood for every occassion. Some bands I like because of the amazing song structures and ability they show... Other music I like cos it just seems so lazy

to be honest, i'm not sure why i like the music that i listen to.

though if i tried to pin-point it, it would have to be a big combination of things: i like some bands or songs because they fit right in with how i feel. if i feel like dancing, i listen to upbeat music. if i feel a little tired, i might listen to soothing, melancholy music. if i feel angry, i obviously listen to more destructive music.

it might also have to do with the people that share their music with me. if i like them, chances are i like the sounds they share with me.

i might listen to some bands because it reminds me of a particular time in my life that i want to revisit. after all, it is the soundtrack to our lives.

in the end, nothing else matters when i turn it up loud

I dont even know what music i like....i cant define myself by a certain genre, i like alot of what is supposed to be shit music, but i dont care. Any music that can stir any emotion in me is likeable in my books.

If im being picky, drumming gets me more fired up than anything, its such a raw instrument and if someone can play it well, it makes me overlook alot of bad musicanship in other areas in a band.

How did your taste for the music you like develop?
I have not the foggiest of fucking ideas.

Maybe its because I'm attracted to chicks in dreads. Maybe its because I thought guys with black and white face paint was evil and I wanted to be satan. Maybe it was because I like scaring people sitting next to me on buses. I have no clue. ANd dI don't care, I like what I like and I like not knowing why I like it.

I like it because I like it....it's called "taste"

what a stupid fucking question.

It's not a stupid question, what is so wrong about asking people what makes them inspired into a certain band? I listen to the music i like because of the lyrical content with some artists that i can comprehend with and also because it educates me in other artists impresions of what they think. I listen to the metal genre because of the intensity i get, that can't get from other genres.

Also i would like to add that bands like sigur ros/ostinato/explosions from the sky/daturah help relax my inner being and make me feel better inside. I love to listen to lots of tool because i think their music is on a different level, they inspire me no end and give me a great deal of enthusiasm from the amazing talent they provide that for me no other band can do.

I mostly like Metal but also dig Ambient and a bit of Classical. Basically, its the OTT production, epicness, emotion etc. Finding what stuff I like weeding out all the shit and hopefully finding the jems. For some reason I love Tom Waits music which is generally very simple music, I really dont know why I like his stuff, I just do.

Faves-

Metal- Strapping Young Lad

Ambient- Ulver/ Aphex Twin

Pure heaviness- Corrupted

Classical- Carter Burwell, Philip Glass

Just awesome- Tom Waits

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I agree with Thurisaz on this one. You start over-analysing shit and it fucking spoils it. Seriously, why should you need a reason for liking what you do? I like the stuff I like, it's as simple as that. Next time a parcel of noise gets delivered, I'm not going to sit there obsessing about "why" I ordered it, it's going straight on the stereo to be enjoyed, and that's fucking that.

Guest bluesxman

I have such a wide taste in musical genres these days that I find it hard to define why I like it all, but I can identify some areas that stem from my young days -

When I was a kid there was a copy of Ennio Morricone's 'Fistful Of Dollars/For A Few Dollars More' soundtrack kicking about the house which I think originally belonged to my uncle (and which I still have, it's scratched to buggery!), I used to love listening to it as a bairn, I think because of all the strange noises going on, Jews harp, massed vocals, twangy guitars, church organs, etc. The music from the Dollars films still stands as some of my favourite music of all time and anything which has elements of that usually ends up in my collection - the first 3 Calexico albums contained some great stuff which would have sounded very at home on a Morricone soundtrack, Tom Waits' taste for strange instrumentation on his albums since Swordfishtrombones, Earth's 'Hex: Or Printing In The Infernal Method' album, anything with a big 'epic' sound which I think is why I like so much post-rock stuff, the ebbs and flows of the best post-rock (Godspeed, Pelican, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, etc) reminds me of tracks like 'The Trio' from 'The Good, The Bad And The Ugly'.

Another early listening favourite was The Shadows 20 Golden Greats which has led to a fondness for anything with a catchy twangy guitar - The Cramps, Dead Kennedys, The Meteors, Link Wray, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, surf instrumentals, etc.

James Bond soundtrack music led to stuff such as Goldfrapp, Portishead, Orbital.

The tribal drumming in Adam And The Ants (my first favourite band) music led to Killing Joke among others.

Madness (my next progression) led to a fondness for Ska, Police And Thieves on the first Clash album led to a liking for some reggae.

The Jam led to The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles and probably all the 60's garage punk stuff I love.

As for everything else, I think I've babbled on enough for one post..... :up:

Man that is a hard one to answer - lots of reason for different stuff.

I really love Tool right now, in fact can't seem to get enough - I saw them live before hearing any of there stuff, it was such an amazing gig I think it boosted them in my mind a lot - but there music (or at least some/most fo it) is unreal - the timing, the structure, layers, the sounds - it really is amazing, totally gives me goosebumps.

Totally agree with Eriatarka on the 'lazy' point - ie Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell was an amzing album for me, so raw, I could always visualise Karen going nuts to that dirty sounding guitar - also a moment for goosebumps.

My tastes change almost weekly tho, so it's hard to pinpoint 'why' I ever like something - most music I like tends to make me feel some kind of emotion tho - I guess that must be it.

The day I start analysing why I listen to the music I do rather than just enjoying in pure ignorant bliss is the day I become a fucking twat / musical snob / whatever the fuck you want to call it.

To be honest I don't really enjoy the idea of bliss in ignorance, my conscience doesn't allow me to live my life in that manner. I want to understand everything because I think it's a terrible mistake to trivialise the state of "existing". Still, if yer into ignorance, thats all good, whatever floats yer boat.

I like thinking about things. But if its something I enjoy' date=' then I dont want to ruin that.

Do you sit and think about why having sex feels good when you're doing it??

Fuck that.[/quote']

Nah of course not, neither do I think about why it feels good when I'm enjoying the effects of a drug. Obviously the reasons why sex is enjoyable doesn't tax the brain, drug experiences and enjoyable music experiences however are definately ripe for retrospective analysis because of the psychological aspects involved.

I don't find it difficult to say why I dont like X and i like Y when it comes to music, I can see how my taste has developed over the years and I think it's quite important as an individual to understand this for yourself.

I can see how my taste has developed over the years and I think it's quite important as an individual to understand this for yourself.

Maybe it's important to you, but I don't think it's something that's important to most people and I don't think it's something that necessarily should be. I don't need to know how band X got me to song Y. The problem is we all know your views on other people's musical tastes. So when you pose a question like this which could (debatably) result in some interesting discussion we tend to question your motives... people don't want yet another chance to justify themselves to you.