aberdeen-music

Starting Bands

Guest Bailz

Guest Bailz

Has anybody else had the problem of finding it near impossible to get a band started?

For years I've had people in place only for them to wander off and do nothing. Again tonight, thought everything was going to get going when people don't turn up?

What's going on out there?

That's the worst advice I've ever heard.

1. Don't push anyone to play who doesn't want to. You will end up with the wrong sort of people in your band. Find people who want to be there.

2. If you need to make things fun by playing covers your own songs are shit... oh, and if you find playing your own songs boring then don't inflict them on anyone else.

1. Don't push anyone to play who doesn't want to. You will end up with the wrong sort of people in your band. Find people who want to be there.

2. If you need to make things fun by playing covers your own songs are shit... oh' date=' and if you find playing your own songs boring then don't inflict them on anyone else.[/quote']

1. dude i said mates. so it was meant to give the idea that they'd want to do it also.

2. playing a cover is a decent way to play some fun songs. i bet you even did them when you first started with stayover. thats how i started to play with my band.

also if your just starting a band how could you have your own songs? o_O

another piece of advice id give, is that you can chill with them in a non band way. like mates.

Woody TUH

Guest Bailz

I don't have a lot of musical mates so it's tricky finding people.

We are starting with a couple of covers (or would be) before going on to write our own songs. I just don't understand why so many people would say "Yeah, i'll do it" and then...not?

Fair enough, but when you said "push them to play" it made it sound as though there was cajoling invovled.

"also if your just starting a band how could you have your own songs?"

By writing them.

I've had more luck with more random musicians.

The mate I originally started my band with turned out to be completely incompatable with me and the random bassist that we found on this very website.

And said bassist has since become a great friend and an excellent band mate. Add one long term mate on drums and I managed to form a band quite easily.

Now I just need to figure out how to ditch the original guy...

I just don't understand why so many people would say "Yeah' date=' i'll do it" and then...not?[/quote']

People often say they'll do things and then don't do them. It's a rule of life...

...you just get better at spotting the time wasters and fakers as you go. Every time someone lets you down think of it as a lesson.

We got out band together pretty easily but keeping it together has been tough. Last year we were spread across 3 different cities (Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow) but we all have a drive and a passion to be in the band so we have stayed together and are now practicing reguarlly for the summer. We are even getting better and better.

Guest Bailz

Ok, cheers guys.

We seem to have a pretty solid foundation with 2 guitars and drums. It's just a case of finding the right bassist and singer.

Sam L4, you planning to gig soon?

Guest lime ruined my life

2. If you need to make things fun by playing covers your own songs are shit... oh' date=' and if you find playing your own songs boring then don't inflict them on anyone else.[/quote']

i agree, i think it's the first time i've ever agreed with bob about anything!

I've had more luck with more random musicians.

The mate I originally started my band with turned out to be completely incompatable with me and the random bassist that we found on this very website.

And said bassist has since become a great friend and an excellent band mate. Add one long term mate on drums and I managed to form a band quite easily.

Now I just need to figure out how to ditch the original guy...

Get him to read this thread!

make sure you have a regularly booked rehearsal. i've found when trying to start bands that if there isn't a regular rehearsal booked every week at the same time it can be hard to keep everyone interested. if people don't turn up and have a good reason for it make sure they know they're letting the team down even if it's just pointing out that everyone had to pay more that week cause they weren't there to cover their share.

the best way to keep it fun is to make sure everyone feels involved in the band. obviously bands need someone to act as a kind of chairman or leader but not to the extent where everyone can't feel that it's their band. and get drunk with each other, regularly :)

well Statue of misery started off playing for the fun of it, with no thoughts of playing live, but after time we did. just have fun, dont make a band and think "cool we have all the members now lets play live" do it for the fun not for the fame.

Each member of statue of misery is unreliable and often late (myself included), you just need a little time, it will happen.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
another piece of advice id give' date=' is that you can chill with them in a non band way. like mates.[/quote']

Absolutely bang on, the midweek piss-ups at Fortress Spike are as equally important as practice.

I've been looking for a band for the past 3 years(since I had to move back to Thurso) only this year have I finally found people that I want to play with. I had a band at the start of the year and it failed. But within a week of that band failing, I'd hired a new drummer and told the bass player from my last band he was now my singer. Its the most fun I've ever had in a band and we've only had two practises. We speak to each other pretty much every day and have a set practise routine (every tuesday night). If something comes up, we tell each other ASAP. Its a great system.

You just need to keep trying. Failed bands make good bands in the end. My first band failed, but I found a great bass player/singer. Just keep trying man.

"also if your just starting a band how could you have your own songs?"

By writing them.

I'm in 100% agreement with this. Covers become very tiresome, very quickly. Writing songs as a band is a good way to get a feel for how everyone plays, and it also gives everyone a sense of involvement and achievment right from the start.

Andy :up:

I'm in 100% agreement with this. Covers become very tiresome' date=' very quickly. Writing songs as a band is a good way to get a feel for how everyone plays, and it also gives everyone a sense of involvement and achievment right from the start.

Andy :up:[/quote']

I really can't agree with this.

Let me put it like this. We have all been going to concerts/gigs etc for years. We might even walk into a bar if we happen to be walking past and hear a band playing.

Scenrio - So your fav band comes to a venue near you, you go to hear them. They play several of the songs off their first two albums. Great, these are the songs you like best and you know the words and the general feel of the song. However, they also play a few songs off their new album which you've not yet had the chance to buy. Ok you think, these seem ok, I could maybe get to like that. Which ones did you like to listen to best? I would say the older ones which you already knew. The general public are also like this. They want to hear songs they know or are familiar with.

Bands are about what you like doing. Some people want to make a statement, and other don't. To say that covers are tiresome, and that original material is not is just a load of rubbish. Original material is like every other part of music, is just a matter of taste.

I think there is plenty space for all types of bands, cover, tribute and original.

I heard something recently that made a lot of sense and it's this. To play in a tribute band is as hard as it gets because the people coming to hear you play know what the original songs sound like, and expect to hear those songs played as they are on the album.

I've heard original bands play songs live that barely resemble the album version. Now at times this can be great, but on other occasions it can be very, very tiresome.

Covers are a great starting point to greater things. It's possible that 99.9% of people start this way.

What was the first tune your learned to play...a cover or an original?

I agree getting a band together is a tricky business. We have been in the process of trying to find a vocalist for about 10 months, and in the process we haven't done a bloody thing since the search began - music wise, which kinda sucks :(

But yeah keep plugging away. The perfect band members will exist somewhere. Just not in Aberdeen :p

Guest DustyDeviada
Has anybody else had the problem of finding it near impossible to get a band started?

For years I've had people in place only for them to wander off and do nothing. Again tonight' date=' thought everything was going to get going when people don't turn up?

What's going on out there?[/quote']

Have you considered deoderant?