aberdeen-music

Fret Buzz

Sam 45

Usually, if you are getting fret buzz from frets 1-7 only, then you should adjust the truss rodd. If it is much higher then increase your string heights at the bridge. This a legnthy process and it can be hard to achieve a good balance. Much easier on some guitars than others though. The truss rodd is one of the dodgiest areas for me as I find it quite unresponsive and you are meant to wait time before adjusting it again after a relatively small adjustment.

Old wives tale.

You DO NOT need to leave your guitar after a truss rod adjustment - they should take effect straight away.

Every pro set up book/guide I have read tells you this (unless of course I read the wrong ones - but I think Patrick Eggle knows his stuff!)

It was with fear and trepidation that I recently started messing about with truss rods, bridge saddles, intonation etc. Started on the kids' guitars before working up to my Fender. Made a real difference to the guitar's action and "playability".

A bit of patience and you will notice a big difference.

Right here is the deal.

It's a Gibson SG, the buzz is mainly coming into effect on the E and A strings from roughly the 12th fret onwards. My guitar teacher had a look at the frets and said there was nothing wrong with them, so it msut be set wrong. Had it set up in RandB not long ago though :(

My one experiecne with RnB guitar setup was expensive and appears your setup didn't work terribly well.

Don't need to wait after adjusting truss rod? I think I might be a bit less cautious when setting up my jazz guitar in that case. Still haven't got passed the truss rod stage. (Note I have been playing another guitar of equal quality while my jazz guitar is out of action.)

My relatively basic knowledge says you will need to adjust your guitar setup

when you first get it

when you change string guages

every so often when things move by themselves or your preferences and perceptions change.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the frets. You should probably increase the string height at the bridge. The two screw type things (not sure of suitable description) at either side of your bridge can be adjusted using an allan key. This will increase or decrease your string heights depending on which way you turn them.

Right here is the deal.

It's a Gibson SG' date=' the buzz is mainly coming into effect on the E and A strings from roughly the 12th fret onwards. My guitar teacher had a look at the frets and said there was nothing wrong with them, so it msut be set wrong. Had it set up in RandB not long ago though :([/quote']

It's an SG, so you don't have as much control, but raise the height of the strings using the top screw, above the low E on the bridge.

sgs-hc.jpg

It might be advisable to slacken the strings before raising the bridge, then retune and check until you reach the lowest height with no buzz.

• Upvote 2

Guest lime ruined my life

i agree, the largest change happens straight away, despite what the books say, i'd leave it a day to settle. that might just be me being overcautoius though.

You've not said if you have changed your string gauge. If you have fitted lighter strings this could cause the neck to straighten out a bit. If you have not changed the gauge just turn the thumb screw under the bridge to lift that side up a little bit.

I've not seen a SG with a high action yet, so don't worry too much about adjusting the bridge....just go for it. Slacked th estrings first to make it a bit easier.

I've found 10's set a SG. I once played one fitted with 8's...it was minging!!!

It's an SG' date=' so you don't have as much control, but raise the height of the strings using the top screw, above the low E on the bridge.

[img']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/files/3/5/5/sgs-hc.jpg

It might be advisable to slacken the strings before raising the bridge, then retune and check until you reach the lowest height with no buzz.

Just managed to fix it due to this advice.

Cheers Ian, really appreaciate it.