aberdeen-music

graphic designer - offering design services for local bands..

routeseven

Right, whats the scoop?

Basically i'm here as a freelance graphic designer to offer you my design services. I know there are a lot of up and coming bands in aberdeen, and am also aware that some of you may require websites etc to promote yourselves. I'm here to offer a very varied selection of services,

but the main services are as follows..

Web Design

Design and creation of website.

Including,

- Logo design (if required)

- Layout design

- Colour scheme

- News script setup

- Message board/Forum setup (if required)

- Additional extras available on request..

Graphic Design

Various different options.

Including,

- Logo design

- Album covers

- T-shirts

- Merchandise

- Flyers

- Posters

- Signatures

- And the rest..

Basically, if you want anything designed just give me a shout. Very reasonable and realistic prices. If you wish to see some examples of work, please let me know.

www.routeseven.co.uk

Alright' date=' i cannot believe that nobody wants to take advantage of quality graphic design services. Don't say i didn't offer!

I'll take my business elsewhere in future.[/quote']Or you could have just left it, maybe bumped it a few times to keep the topic noticeable, and not made yourself look like a total fucking prick after only waiting for one week.

Also, the fact that your own web-site advertising these services has....fuck all on it yet, may show how very efficient you are with your work.

Just a thought, but maybe I'll take my fucking thoughts elsewhere. Don't say I didn't offer!

there are a lot of graphic designers in aberdeen that are willing to do stuff for bands for free at the moment... so you may not have much luck here

Yeah i gave this a go a few months ago with not much interest (i have been a qualified graphic designer with working experiance for 2 years) which is a shame really, no one really seems that interested evan tho i personally think it shows a degree of professionalism in a band ( outwith the music ) the problem is that more and more people study graphic design or some creative craft, and with music being a creative industry ( even for the smallest bands ) they can all get a friend of a friend etc. to create some cool logo, illustartion, website etc for next to nothing........ for a serious freelance graphic designer it seems very hard to offer a better rate then the bands can get through their own contacts.

i now basically just do freelance work for bands etc. when asked, so i can just get a bit extra beer money ;) and stick to my day job for the .. erm. cough!! "real money"

Just my thoughts

Ta

Yeah i gave this a go a few months ago with not much interest (i have been a qualified graphic designer with working experiance for 2 years) which is a shame really' date=' no one really seems that interested evan tho i personally think it shows a degree of professionalism in a band ( outwith the music ) [/quote']

Yea its a good point, given that most of the flyers and posters knocking around are really poor.

Right' date=' whats the scoop?

Basically i'm here as a freelance graphic designer to offer you my design services. I know there are a lot of up and coming bands in aberdeen, and am also aware that some of you may require websites etc to promote yourselves. I'm here to offer a very varied selection of services,

but the main services are as follows..

[b']Web Design

Design and creation of website.

Including,

- Logo design (if required)

- Layout design

- Colour scheme

- News script setup

- Message board/Forum setup (if required)

- Additional extras available on request..

Graphic Design

Various different options.

Including,

- Logo design

- Album covers

- T-shirts

- Merchandise

- Flyers

- Posters

- Signatures

- And the rest..

Basically, if you want anything designed just give me a shout. Very reasonable and realistic prices. If you wish to see some examples of work, please let me know.

www.routeseven.co.uk

Have you been a freelancer long?

if not i suggest u don't just stick to bands, try the obvious ones like clubs, pubs, restaurants etc. get your name on some freelance forums, and put your cv into any and all local design/media/IT companys advertising your services but try and leave an impression and give a follow up call. seriously theres loads and alot of them often look for freelancers when work loads get a bit heavy.

Freelancing can be very financially rewarding if you can be assed to go out and chase the work, although experience is a must!

although if you've been a freelancer for a while.......... i probably just sounded patronising as fuck.... sorry!

i plan on going full time freelance once i get a few more years experiance and give up my dream of being a big posing rock star :L

anyway good luck.

A better flier isn't going to make the bands any less shit though!

yeah as i said, but if you are a serious band and believe in your music, you'll want not only to sound professional but come accross as a professional act with the relevant promo material that goes along with it............ you don't see.............. er, the rolling stones handing out shitty little flyers in the street, altho they have the money to spend on big expensive marketing "PLOYS" the little things make the differance in smaller bands aswell.

The likes of the little kicks, a band who appear to be doing well for themselves, have promo material that looks professional, but i bet they don't go to an expensive design studio to get the work done.

Might be opening a can of worms here, but which bands actually sell enough records / play enough gigs outwith Aberdeen to actually warrant a full corporate identity / Flash powered all singing all dancing website?

If you've got a mate who can do - great, buy him a few pints in the pub and you have a website and a logo or whatever. If you can do it yourself, great. You're not wasting any cash.

But I'm afraid most local bands have neither a) The money or b) the audience to warrant a message board or t - shirts.

I work in graphic design and know that a good strong identity is important, but come on, it doesn't matter if you have a Damien Hirst original advertising your gig - It's still a gig at the Tunnels on a Wednesday night or whatever - An A4 photocopied flyer will get in the same amount of punters.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. There are better ways to spend the band's float. Like petrol to drive to other places to play or rehersal time.

If your bands music is good enough to get signed the record company will pay loads for a good identity and website. It's secondary to the music, though. If you have no tunes it doesn't matter if you have the best logo, website and flyers - the music will still be shit.

I'm not a big follower of the Fugazi way of doing things or anything, by the way :p

Or you could have just left it' date=' maybe bumped it a few times to keep the topic noticeable, and not made yourself look like a total fucking prick after only waiting for one week.

Also, the fact that your own web-site advertising these services has....fuck all on it yet, may show how very efficient you are with your work.

Just a thought, but maybe I'll take my fucking thoughts elsewhere. Don't say I didn't offer![/quote']

After waiting for one week and having no interest i think i'm entitled to take my business elsewhere, don't you? I'm not going to waste my time here if i'm not getting any work out of it.

My website was never set up to advertise these services. That's what the post was intended to do. I provided a link to my website so people may sign up and post on my board regarding possible business.

In future, if you plan to make such arsey posts - don't bother, it's really a waste of your time.

And to everyone else, thanks. Especially Ian. I shall take note of some of the things you mentioned.

Might be opening a can of worms here' date=' but which bands actually sell enough records / play enough gigs outwith Aberdeen to actually warrant a full corporate identity / Flash powered all singing all dancing website?

If you've got a mate who can do - great, buy him a few pints in the pub and you have a website and a logo or whatever. If you can do it yourself, great. You're not wasting any cash.

But I'm afraid [i']most local bands have neither a) The money or b) the audience to warrant a message board or t - shirts.

I work in graphic design and know that a good strong identity is important, but come on, it doesn't matter if you have a Damien Hirst original advertising your gig - It's still a gig at the Tunnels on a Wednesday night or whatever - An A4 photocopied flyer will get in the same amount of punters.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. There are better ways to spend the band's float. Like petrol to drive to other places to play or rehersal time.

If your bands music is good enough to get signed the record company will pay loads for a good identity and website. It's secondary to the music, though. If you have no tunes it doesn't matter if you have the best logo, website and flyers - the music will still be shit.

I'm not a big follower of the Fugazi way of doing things or anything, by the way :p

yeah man i think what you've said is the general consensus.......... it just seems a shame really.

After waiting for one week and having no interest i think i'm entitled to take my business elsewhere' date=' don't you? I'm not going to waste my time here if i'm not getting any work out of it.[/quote']Fair enough, take your business elsewhere.

But dont reply making yourself look like a dick. Leave the initial post, bump it a few times, after a while, som,eone may show a little interest, and you could get some EXTRA work. Now, who the fuck is going to want you to do anything for them?

The fact your advertising web-design and you post a linkt o your own web-site with NOTHING on it, shows.........inefficiency. Probably even laziness.

And this isnt a waste of my time, I'm currently updating some exes and documents at work, so I have fuck all to do for a few minutes.

Fair enough' date=' take your business elsewhere.

But dont reply making yourself look like a dick. Leave the initial post, bump it a few times, after a while, som,eone may show a little interest, and you could get some EXTRA work. Now, who the fuck is going to want you to do anything for them?

The fact your advertising web-design and you post a linkt o your own web-site with NOTHING on it, shows.........inefficiency. Probably even laziness.

And this isnt a waste of my time, I'm currently updating some exes and documents at work, so I have fuck all to do for a few minutes.[/quote']

The only person making themself look like a dick, is you.

Thanks for making the effort to reply, but in future please don't.

i have to say i clicked the link out of interest to check out your stuff and was put off by the fact there was nothing there. it did seem strange to offer internet design services then link to a work in progress website.

however, there is nothing wrong with bands getting professionally designed websites and logos. if they have the means to do it then it should be done. you should be a bit more patient though and not take a strop just cause no one took you up on your offer. i'm not surprised seeing as they can't see any examples of your work.

wasn't there a similar debate about this a while back for cheap remixes?

i'm not surprised seeing as they can't see any examples of your work.
Basically' date=' if you want anything designed just give me a shout. Very reasonable and realistic prices. If you wish to see some examples of work, please let me know.[/quote']

I really hate to quote myself but..

I really hate to quote myself but..

jeez-o, you're quite the annoying so and so aren't you?

obviously you know best and with your public relations skills i'm sure work will be flowing towards you in no time, so you shouldn't worry too much about the fact you can't even finish your own website or post a couple of pictures up with a post advertising your services. it's a helluva lazy way of advertising yourself. no other company or service would ever advertise their stuff by saying "Nike, we make great shoes but we can't show them to you unless you ask nicely and come to our shops, but honest they're really good. trust us.".

jeez-o' date=' you're quite the annoying so and so aren't you?

obviously you know best and with your public relations skills i'm sure work will be flowing towards you in no time, so you shouldn't worry too much about the fact you can't even finish your own website or post a couple of pictures up with a post advertising your services. it's a helluva lazy way of advertising yourself. no other company or service would ever advertise their stuff by saying "Nike, we make great shoes but we can't show them to you unless you ask nicely and come to our shops, but honest they're really good. trust us.".[/quote']

What Dave said.

The only person making themself look like a dick' date=' is you.

Thanks for making the effort to reply, but in future please don't.[/quote']I beg to differ.

In fact, no I don't(beg that is). I just plain old disagree with that, cos you're a fucking dick. Simple as.

It would appear, I'm not the only one that think so.

F I'm currently updating some exes and documents at work' date=' so I have fuck all to do for a few minutes.[/quote']

Lol, despite all your crust pretentions, you are actually a 9-5 white-collar office worker? Good for you, sticking to your principles and what not. :rolleyes:

Anyway yeah, obviously if you want to offer graphic design services it makes sense to have a portfolio available for prospective clients. Still, the rest of you could have said as much without being so insulting and condescending.

Lol' date=' despite all your crust pretentions, you are actually a 9-5 white-collar office worker? Good for you, sticking to your principles and what not. :rolleyes:

[/quote']

Just cause he is a crusty cunt with principles doesnt mean he cant work...stinky cunts have bills to pay too....even though Daves are less than most because his shampoo bills are incredibly low.

Lol' date=' despite all your crust pretentions, you are actually a 9-5 white-collar office worker? Good for you, sticking to your principles and what not. :rolleyes:

Anyway yeah, obviously if you want to offer graphic design services it makes sense to have a portfolio available for prospective clients. Still, the rest of you could have said as much without being so insulting and condescending.[/quote']I test computer games for a living.

White collar office worer as fuck, eh?