aberdeen-music

Elvisness

After nine years, we could probably do with some new blood in our annual celebration/desecration of all things Kingly.

so if any bands out there fancy putting together between 3 and 6 Elvis covers for what is unfailingly one of the biggest and best nights of the year, drop me a line at music@lemontree.org

This year's date is Sat 19th August and all performers get paid...

Hmm...I think my favourites so far have been Psycho A Go-Go' date=' King Voodoo, The Creoles and King Liar and the Brutes. There's loads more though, I loved Motormark aswell with their electro spin on Elvis, and it's always a highlight when Dave Dixon is the compere.[/quote']

A nice little interview with Elvis

Something that's very easy and incredibly enjoyable to do at Elvisness nights (from my own experience Djing and playing with the Brutes) is to invoke the wrath and outrage of Elvis fanatics. Great fun.

When the Brutes were on, there was a gentleman in the audience who was something like the treasurer of Grampian's "official" Elvis Fan Club who, as well as booing us, was on the verge of taking the Brutes "outside". Was it for our murder of his cherised songs, or the fact that we showed no remorse? I don't know.

I think a few eyebrows might be raised when Bill Ely and the Catnips take to the stage

Elvisness

Saturday 19 August

Tickets £10 (£6.75 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 8.30pm

Show Starts: 9pm

featuring

King Voodoo

The Epics

Baby Karma

Bill Ely and the Catnips

Finniston

Simon Gall

plus more to be announced

Yet another night to remember is in prospect for all music fans and not just loyal subjects of The King as we present our annual celebration of the music of the man who invented rock'n'roll. It's a typically eclectic Elvisness lineup with perennial rockabilly rebels King Voodoo delivering their superb appreciation alongside classic rock'n'roll from The Epics, acoustic sweetness from Finniston, the instrumental jazz vibes of Simon Gall and something a little more left-field from Baby Karma and Bill Ely and the Catnips

Sorry we can't play. Would have been ace to grace the stage with our Catnip friends.

Nevermind - any ideas which Elvis numbers you'd have done if you could have made it?

Whoops, just noticed we had "Billy Ely and the Catnips" - a bit over-familiar - think I've caught it in time to correct the brochure.

Perhaps retract my last statement. It seems we may manage something.

I cannot name a single song until it has been discussed with thought.

My quiff requires no work though. :D

KBK can play Elvisness if required, in a half human half robot format (we'll use a sequencer/sampler as a stand in for our drummer and bassist who are both out of the country on the date of the gig). We will also need to buy an ''Elvis for Easy Guitar/Piano'' songbook pronto.

Failing that, I have a vast selection of Elvis Mugs (mostly aquired in Blackpool) that I could put on display.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the finalised line-up

The Epics

King Voodoo

Finniston

Bill Ely and the Catnips (watch the fek out Elvisness)

Kill Baby...Kill (as a duo - Sharon / Steven, is there a special name for the half-human, half robot version of KB...K)

Emma Forman

Duffel's Coat (Simon Gall's new instrumental jazz combo)

Tupelo Town Assembly

featuring Phil Rae from Lorenzo Snow Collective, Amy Sawers, Jim Ewen and Andy Stephen from staccato set (and one other tbc)

Dave Dixon will compere

• 4 weeks later...