aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Top of the pops axed

They should have gone full circle and roped Saville back into the fold:

'Ow's about that then boys and girls! Uncle Jim 'as fixed it for you for an exclusive live performance of some young chaps from Norway. Here is Hank from Hell and his gang with a little belter of a song called "I Got Erection".' (Makes noise like car failing to start and falls over)

Guffaw!

The Alpha Denim Recruits should get Saville on their next album doing the "oooooooooooh" sound - Everyone would be a winner.

Exactly! What's gonna happen to Fearne!?!

She's on radio one sometimes.

Nae too bothered bout TOTP - just imagine the repeats.

I hate to say it, but me thinks that it was the quality of the music that's in the charts that killed TOTP's rather than any problem with the format or timeslot (though Thursdays were better I agree Frosty!). I watched religiously every week since birth - then the Spice girls happened and I couldnie stomach the show any more........... In fact just bring back the chart show and all will be good!

I reckon...

In the 'old days' before all this technology stuff was popular, kids didn't have many other ways of hearing new music. They'd maybe hear something once or twice on the radio, then sit down after tea on a Thursday to see what was new. Then on Friday morning they'd all be in the playground discussing how great Adam & the Ants or whoever were last night, ready to head into town on Saturday morning to buy the single.

Nowadays they flick round a couple of websites, download the tune or video, and stick it on the ipod. 2 mins and it's all over. TOTP simply wasn't needed any more.

that about sums it up and the charts dont mean anything to the kids these days, i remember being very excited when the likes of the smiths got in the charts for example.